Author Topic: Texas is Going for Permitless Carry  (Read 9952 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Texas is Going for Permitless Carry
« Reply #125 on: July 05, 2021, 04:02:14 PM »
Subsection (B)(i)... "(i) on private property not part of school grounds;"

Texas has been very clear that a vehicle, as an extension of the home, is considered private property. That is, at least for the purposes of LTC law. No idea how they intend to treat it for the purposes of Constitutional Carry but I don't see them backing off the "car is part of your home" mindset for lots of reasons.

For a bit of elaboration on the Texas rules, see the US Law Shield section on it. Scroll down to "Is the federal gun-free school zone law the same?" for relevant info on school zones.

https://www.uslawshield.com/guns-and-school-zones-what-is-the-law/

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #126 on: July 05, 2021, 05:19:13 PM »
What Texas considers to be "an extension" of the castle is not binding on federal law. I very seriously doubt that anyone charged under the GFSZA for having a loaded firearm in a vehicle within a school zone would get off by claiming that they are exempted because Texas considers a vehicle to be an extension of the home.

If you wish to become the test case, I'll contribute a few bucks to your defense fund, but I won't consider it money well spent unless you get off.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #127 on: July 05, 2021, 05:37:58 PM »
What Texas considers to be "an extension" of the castle is not binding on federal law. I very seriously doubt that anyone charged under the GFSZA for having a loaded firearm in a vehicle within a school zone would get off by claiming that they are exempted because Texas considers a vehicle to be an extension of the home.

There is no need for a test case because GFSZA already contains provisions for certain exclusions, including one for state-issued concealed carry licensees.

From the USLawShield article linked prior

Is the federal gun-free school zone law the same?

No. The federal law does create an entirely new offense. Under federal law, there’s a blanket prohibition that makes it illegal to possess a gun within 1,000 feet of a public, parochial, or private school. There are some exceptions, which make that prohibition a little easier to stomach. Here are the three most common:

The first is for a person with a license to carry a handgun issued by the state where the school zone is located. This means that a Texas resident, who holds a Texas LTC, can carry in a school zone in Texas, as long as they follow all other Texas laws. However, that same Texas LTC holder would run afoul of the federal gun-free school zone law if he or she were in another state besides Texas. The converse holds true as well.

Second, a person who lives within 1,000 feet of a school is also allowed to keep a firearm on their privately owned property, as long as it is not part of the school grounds.

The third most common exception is that you’re permitted to carry an unloaded gun in a locked case or in a locked gun rack. Although it is currently illegal for a teacher to carry a gun in a school building without a written regulation in place or written authorization from the institution, this is a fast-changing area of the law across the country that may very well impact Texas. In fact, in the last legislative session, Texas made it illegal for a teacher or school employee with an LTC to be fired by a school or disciplined because they had a handgun in their automobile on a school parking lot.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #128 on: July 05, 2021, 07:50:13 PM »
I don't know if the motor vehicle laws on this are uniform throughout all 50 states. In my state, it's illegal for motorcyclists to ride between lanes. That don't stop the punks on crotch rockets from doing it, but it is illegal.

It sounds to me like this was a case of Darwin's law being proved by real life results.

Don't know about any states other than CA & TX - CA is legal to lane-split, TX is not legal to lane-split.  TX tried to change it recently, almost passed.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #129 on: July 05, 2021, 07:56:48 PM »
Don't know about any states other than CA & TX - CA is legal to lane-split, TX is not legal to lane-split.  TX tried to change it recently, almost passed.

I used to hate the lane splitting in CA. The vast majority of those guys were extremely dangerous. It appears it is illegal in most states:

https://advrider.com/lane-splitting-motorcycle-laws-state-by-state/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #130 on: July 05, 2021, 08:27:42 PM »
Personally, I like lane splitting.  I've set in stopped traffic during the summer in SoCal - ain't fun.

There are aholes who abuse it.  Just like there are aholes who will abuse every/any situation.

Then there are those who abuse it just for the adrenaline rush.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #131 on: July 05, 2021, 09:59:50 PM »
When I was stationed in San Diego I lived in El Cajon and made the 25 mile commute to Ballast Point on a 1980 KZ 750. I seem to remember that lane splitting was legal at the time (1983-1985). I would occasionally do it but the odds of some jackass opening a door or deliberately blocking you was pretty high.
When I did lane split I'd ride just fast enough to remain stable.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #132 on: July 05, 2021, 10:28:56 PM »
There is no need for a test case because GFSZA already contains provisions for certain exclusions, including one for state-issued concealed carry licensees.

Yes, I know. I have stated that at least twice in the course of this thread. I even quoted the text of the exception.

What we are discussing now is the new Texas law that will allow permitless carry -- and how doing that will leave people open to being arrested and charged for violating the GFSZA because they don't have a license issued by the state in which the school is located.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 12:12:02 AM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #133 on: July 06, 2021, 08:25:01 AM »
When I did lane split I'd ride just fast enough to remain stable.

That would be fine to me, and to be fair to CA and the motorcyclists there that followed the law, it appears 10MPH is the maximum speed allowed to lane split. I had no problems with those who slowly rode their bikes through stopped traffic. The ones who were going a LOT faster than that through slightly moving traffic made me nervous.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #134 on: July 06, 2021, 09:42:36 AM »
Yes, I know. I have stated that at least twice in the course of this thread. I even quoted the text of the exception.

What we are discussing now is the new Texas law that will allow permitless carry -- and how doing that will leave people open to being arrested and charged for violating the GFSZA because they don't have a license issued by the state in which the school is located.

My bad, then. I was perceiving your statements in the context of general application biasing towards LTC holders. Apologies.

Brad
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #135 on: July 06, 2021, 09:54:45 AM »
I saw lane splitting done on my one trip to the LA area.  I lean against motorcycles have extra allowances in traffic.  Seems to me it is simpler if everyone follows the same rules. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #136 on: July 16, 2021, 04:43:29 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #137 on: July 20, 2021, 06:08:38 PM »
Never mind

BREAKING: Louisiana Legislature Fails to Override Veto of Constitutional Carry Bill
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/breaking-louisiana-legislature-fails-to-override-veto-of-constitutional-carry/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #138 on: July 21, 2021, 03:04:15 AM »
This was with respect to the Texas constitutional carry bill on APS June 4 2021:

https://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=64335.msg1308418;topicseen#msg1308418

Quote:

If I were an anti-2A Democrat, and I know the Governor will veto a pro-2A bill, I might throw my support into the bill just to curry favor with some righties. I might even vote for it just to boost my NRA "grade" by a + or even a whole letter.

Tolja.

That's Politics, folks.  You can't trust a damned one of them.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 03:53:16 AM by 230RN »

230RN

• friend
« Reply #139 on: July 21, 2021, 11:48:16 AM »
I saw lane splitting done on my one trip to the LA area.  I lean against motorcycles have extra allowances in traffic.  Seems to me it is simpler if everyone follows the same rules.

Strikes me that engine cooling is a factor in doing lane splitting.  Am I wrong?

I don't remember doing it when I was riding, but then again, I rarely got into congested situations on the highway.   Anyhow, I thought of that while reading this thread.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #140 on: July 21, 2021, 04:28:34 PM »
I got caught in SoCal traffic bad enough to overheat a water cooled Goldwing.  Air cooled engines have it even tougher.

Being able to get out of stalled/slow traffic is a plus with lane splitting.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #141 on: July 21, 2021, 04:55:06 PM »
Thanks, Cliffh.

I kind of wondered about that, so I took this opportunity to ask even though the thread has already drifted a bit.

Most of my riding was day-trip-fun (CL 350), not commuting to work or anything, but even stopped at long left-turn lights, overheating had occurred to me. :)

Sehr Gracias

Terry

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #142 on: July 21, 2021, 05:51:49 PM »
Thread drift?  At APS?  Never!

Gern geschehen

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #143 on: September 01, 2021, 01:58:43 PM »
It's been 13 hours since the law went into effect. Are the streets jammed with bodies yet?
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #144 on: September 01, 2021, 03:03:00 PM »
You know what I think should be allowed?

You have an intersection, and there's basically gridlocked stop and go traffic.

The other side of the intersection is full. The light is green, but you sit, and wait for there to be room on the other side. Then Sumdood guns his Charger past you, and pulls up, actually in the intersection. If you're lucky, nobody else does, but some idiot is going to think that that is okay, and join him.

In the intersection.

And then traffic is REALLY blocked and snarled...

We should be allowed to execute them, and then auction their cars.
Blog under construction

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #145 on: September 01, 2021, 03:17:59 PM »
I've been at home since this went into effect, and plan to stay here until at least tomorrow morning.

I'll be watching the news to see what the immediate outcome is.

Actually, it's my day off.  I've been working on the mower & mowing the yard.  Don't really expect anything different when I go to work tomorrow.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #146 on: September 01, 2021, 03:18:02 PM »
Hurricane Ida has bypassed permitless carry Texas, and slammed permission slip Louisiana. You have been warned, anti-gunners!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #147 on: September 01, 2021, 03:20:34 PM »
You know what I think should be allowed?

You have an intersection, and there's basically gridlocked stop and go traffic.

The other side of the intersection is full. The light is green, but you sit, and wait for there to be room on the other side. Then Sumdood guns his Charger past you, and pulls up, actually in the intersection. If you're lucky, nobody else does, but some idiot is going to think that that is okay, and join him.

In the intersection.

And then traffic is REALLY blocked and snarled...

We should be allowed to execute them, and then auction their cars.

The annoying thing is, if anti-gun propaganda is to be believed, that's exactly what Texas just legalized.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #148 on: September 01, 2021, 03:31:37 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #149 on: September 01, 2021, 03:54:49 PM »
The streets of Kansas and Missouri only ran red for a couple days. Then we were all dead.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG