Armed Polite Society

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

R.I.P. Scout26

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Anyone here who's measured a Generac generator waveform?  (Read 670 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Anyone here who's measured a Generac generator waveform?
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2021, 10:15:35 AM »

Unfortunately a mounted tank isn't an option. I'd love a diesel for the efficiency and reliability, but they are just too darned expensive for what I'm trying to accomplish. Also, I have access to non-oxygenated gasoline so storage isn't an issue. Easy enough to use it in the truck and refill the fuel containers every six months or so to keep the fuel rotated and fresh.

Brad
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 10:48:33 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2021, 11:28:00 AM »

How much fuel are you allowed to store in your property? I'm going to guess probably not more than a couple days worth for the generator. My experience that a larger gas generator is going to burn about a gallon of fuel per hour at half load.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2021, 02:23:33 PM »

Trying to get a number from the city, but they're in a zoning revamp right now and I gave up trying to find someone who will give me a straight answer. I figure what they don't know won't hurt them, and it wouldn't be more than twenty or thirty gallons anyway. How much exactly is entirely dependent on energy rationing strategies and I'm still mulling those over.

Giving some thought to a hybrid solution... a generator to power the panel combined with a battery-based power unit for fridge and freezer. Something like the Jackery Explorer 1000 or similar. That would give 24/7 power for food storage, firing up the the generator only enough to recharge the power unit or to supply as-needed supplemental power. Using typical demand estimators and a couple of in-use reviews, I figure the 1000 would probably give us a rolling 12 hr schedule (4-6 hrs on battery and 6-8 on generator). The power unit would be handy for day-to-day uses, too. At only 22lbs and relatively small, I can think of a whole host of uses for it. Only downside is price. It's a spendy little sucker.

The probability of losing power more than 48 hours is very, very low so I'm using three days as my spread, including last-resort contingencies to five days in case we're unable to relocate (extremely unlikely for multiple reasons, at least in the context of most-probable scenarios).

This will be set up as a stop-gap, a short term solution. If it's going to be more than that, we have friends and family spread all over Texas, eastern New Mexico, and southern Oklahoma. Plenty of alternate locations. If it comes to it, we'll mothball the house and head to more hospitable environs.

Brad
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 10:50:04 PM by Brad Johnson »
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2021, 08:31:03 AM »

I think that National Fire Code only allows up to 25 gallons of fuel in approved containers to be stored at a residential property. Hopefully you have a detached shed away from your house and neighbors houses.

I've been thinking about a whole house generator after I get s new roof and HVAC system. No matter what price out on setting up for a portable 10kw generator, it's still cheaper in the end for a NG stationary 10kw generator to be installed.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2021, 10:41:17 AM »

I can have a viable and reasonably full-function short term emergency power setup for around $2k, including the generator. Is it as convenient as an automated whole-house unit? Nope, not by a long shot. However, for the $10k (minimum) difference in cost, I'm willing to live with a few minor inconveniences.

If I were going to setup for longer-term 24/7 power, I could easily adapt to an NG-powered genset and still utilize the generator inlet port I'm having installed. There are tri-fuel gensets available and running an NG hookup to the back of the house would be simple and relatively inexpensive. No real need, though, as the scenarios we'll most likely face are short term. Tornado? Extremely localized. We can relocate. Severe winter weather? Around here that's a couple of days, tops. Even the recent extreme cold spell that had us in such a tailspin only lasted four days. My main concern is grid-wide loss of power, and that will likely be in the dead of summer when energy demand is highest. At that point, my primary focus will be food preservation and comms. I can't justify the expense of an automated whole house unit when I can easily meet that need with a more modest and much less expensive setup.

Would I go full-auto whole house if we could without putting us in a bind? In a heartbeat. However, the $9500 check we just wrote to the IRS pretty much guts our discretionary cash. We have an emergency reserve but it doesn't get touched for something like this.

Brad
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 03:19:41 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2021, 04:09:50 PM »

My wife can't even start my baby toro snowblower or lawn tractor and I can be gone from work for several days/nights in a row. I'll need to get an NG automatic whole hmmmm house generator.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2021, 11:40:01 AM »

Pulled the trigger.

Champion 8750 Hybrid Inverter Genset (Hybrid in Champion-Speak means an inverter genset in an open-frame configuration)
GE T050N inlet box
Iron Box 30-to-50 cable (IBX-6112-25)
GenInterlock panel interlock kit

The only other main part is cabling between the inlet box and breaker panel. I'll let the electrician provide as part of the install. If all goes to plan he's supposed to be here mid-July.

I figure a simple battery tender to keep things healthy. If I get industrious I might put a quick-disconnect on the battery for storage convenience. Maybe replace the battery every year or two as a preventive maintenance item.

The only other issue still in play is fuel storage. I'm waffling between four 5-gallon race jugs and a single 55 gallon drum (race jugs = no frustrating EPA-mandated hose/spout). Drum would be more fuel, but then there's the hassle of storage location and fuel transfer. Jugs would be easier in terms of handling/storage/fueling but there's the issue of long-term fuel storage in plastic containers.

Brad
-HankB

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2021, 11:57:17 AM »

Another option: https://colemans.com/nato-military-jerry-can

Steel can, accepts a variety of nozzles, seals well.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2021, 12:22:53 PM »

Another option: https://colemans.com/nato-military-jerry-can

Steel can, accepts a variety of nozzles, seals well.

Thanks!

I wonder how well they can be relied on to not be full of rust.

Brad
-HankB

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2021, 01:17:59 PM »

I wonder how well they can be relied on to not be full of rust.
I bought four when they were on sale for $25 each.  The outsides had quite a bit of grime but the insides were pristine. 

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2021, 02:06:05 PM »

Can you still get sealing rings for them?

Brad
-HankB

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2021, 02:36:03 PM »

Can you still get sealing rings for them?
Yes.  The gaskets in mine were good, though.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2021, 10:18:16 PM »

How about the aluminum 30 gallon barrels that hold beer?  (A "kegger" !)
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2021, 09:21:23 AM »

How about the aluminum 30 gallon barrels that hold beer?  (A "kegger" !)

That's for fueling me, not the generator.  =D

Brad
-HankB
Pages: 1 [2]