Author Topic: I'm having a really bad year, so to buy your vote...  (Read 1731 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: I'm having a really bad year, so to buy your vote...
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2022, 07:12:53 PM »
10k each
$230 billion
And it sounds like everyone is upset including AOC
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2022/05/27/president-biden-will-reportedly-spend-230-billion-on-student-loan-relief-thats-not-enough-for-rep-ocasio-cortez/

Of course she's upset. AOC still owes $17,000 -- a piddling $10k only pays off less than 60 percent of it. She wants her debt paid off completely.

https://marketrealist.com/p/aoc-student-loan-debt/
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Pb

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2022, 08:17:43 PM »
Pissing away $230 billion dollars without congressional approval. 

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2022, 08:37:36 PM »
I still want to see a reporter with the balls to ask if this a onetime vote buy or what do they have planned for next year/
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2022, 09:09:54 PM »
Biden pretty much had to do something with this before the elections.  It probably won’t save them from a shellacking but if they hadn’t it would have been even worse as tons of dem voters would have just stayed home.  Still not right, but I don’t think continuing the pause on payments would have even twitched the needle.

One thing the Ds could have done that might have gotten even minimal R support would be to dramatically reduce interest rates when the pause ended.  Lots of borrowers were having hard times making progress against the interest.  Cap that at some income dependent rate that maxes out at like 8%.  Low income people would pay little or nothing in interest, high income people would pay up to their current rate or 8% whichever is less.  People in the middle would be, well, in the middle.  That would satisfy (well, not really but bear with me) the Dems calling for relief and the Reps demanding people pay what they owe.  With some class based “progressive” effects thrown in for good measure.  Still wrong, but less wrong than outright forgiveness.

Nothing short of complete 100% forgiveness and all tuition paid for by the government going forward would shut up idiots like AOC.  But the above would have been a shrewd move for the Rs that could have taken a lot of wind out of the Ds sails.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2022, 09:49:17 PM »
I could have been talked into 0% interest but taking my tax money to pay someone else's debt just doesn't fly with me.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG