Author Topic: Bed Top Sheets Are For Boomers  (Read 372 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Bed Top Sheets Are For Boomers
« on: March 26, 2024, 08:25:17 AM »
The weird things I learn from reddit "suggested subs" emails:

Apparently Gen Z doesn't use bed top sheets because it's too much trouble to wash them and only people like their grandparents use them. And it's not just some thing some Gen Zs do that us old people apply to all of them - it's an actual "normal" for them. Just the fitted sheet over the mattress and then a comforter.

I don't get the "too much trouble". It's easier for me to wash a top sheet once a week and not have to deal with washing a big ass comforter so much. Plus I have options in the Summer when it's hot, where I can pull down the comforter if I get hot at night and still have a light sheet over me. And if I'm still sweating, I'm sweating into the easy to wash light sheet instead of the big ass comforter.

I mean, whatever, but it doesn't seem all that efficient to me. I suppose maybe from the generational perspective, it's the same as my generation making fun of our grandparents who put slip covers on all the furniture.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Bed Top Sheets Are For Boomers
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 08:49:02 AM »
Sounds like they are not washing anything very often. 

And yeah, the main reason to use it for me is to keep from having to wash blankets often.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2024, 08:58:24 AM »
We wash all of our bedding weekly. No top sheet, all the top sheet ever did for me was get wadded up down at the foot of the bed. Wife and I have separate comforters.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2024, 09:03:41 AM »
Anyone on Reddit say top sheets are white supremacy yet?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2024, 09:11:20 AM »
I have trouble even sleeping without a top sheet. I've been known to take one with me camping.

Born '76.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2024, 09:31:18 AM »
I'm very spotty in whether I use a top sheet or not.

As for using a comforter, I use a comforter cover that can be easily removed and washed so I don't have to wash the entire comforter.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2024, 10:53:38 AM »
I'm more of a traditionalist - if a top sheet (which I wash weekly!) isn't enough, I add a blanket.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2024, 11:51:50 PM »
Fitted pad on the mattress, fitted "contour" sheet which is the sheet on which I lie.
During the winter, above me there are two sheets and a blanket in the middle but in the summer, it is just the 2 sheets.  There is a ceiling fan on low in the winter and high in the summer to keep the air stirred up.
Unless I do something to get particularly dirty in the winter, those 3 sheets only get washed monthly.  They don't need washing more than that as I'm the only one in the house.
When I do the laundry, AI usually do the mattress pad and contour sheet in one load and the 2 upper sheets and pillow cases in a second load.
Because my bedroom is on the south side of the house and the tree that used to shade it had to come down last fall, this summer may be a bit more uncomfortable.  It is that summer heat and humidity that sometimes requires the sheets to be washed twice a week.  Otherwise, they only get washed weekly.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2024, 07:53:18 AM »
"Unless I do something to get particularly dirty in the winter, those 3 sheets only get washed monthly."

Ick...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2024, 09:12:30 AM »
I try to wash sheets and pillow cases weekly all year.  Having a 2nd set of sheets/pillow cases helps a lot.  Blankets and pillows don't get washed nearly as much, but that is why there are sheets as those are what is against my body.

It doesn't surprise me that everyone does their own thing.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2024, 09:35:06 AM »

Same. I just thought it was interesting in a generational disconnect kind of way that from the comments, "no sheets" is apparently the majority norm for GenZ (which I only now learned), and I'm pretty sure that "with sheets" is the norm for my generation. Makes you wonder if it was a gradual generational change or a switch flip.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2024, 10:56:45 AM »
Good sheets can be expensive.

I have noticed that the fitted sheets last longer if I keep them clean.  If they stay on, they tend to get stretched in the middle and develop tears.  Could be because I sweat sometimes. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2024, 11:00:11 AM »
Do any of you use regular sheets instead of fitted sheets on the mattress?  I have started doing as as I am cheap and didn't want to buy new ones.  The fitted sheets don't last as long.  Easy just to tuck them in. 

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2024, 11:07:51 AM »
"...the big ass comforter."

Just curious. Why does your big ass need comforting?

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2024, 11:40:54 AM »
"...the big ass comforter."

Just curious. Why does your big ass need comforting?
Asking the important questions
7-11 was a part time job.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2024, 11:55:30 AM »
I try to wash sheets and pillow cases weekly all year.  Having a 2nd set of sheets/pillow cases helps a lot.  Blankets and pillows don't get washed nearly as much, but that is why there are sheets as those are what is against my body.

I change/wash every week to two weeks. More in the spring and fall because Seren tends to track a lot more stuff in on her paws and fur at those times, including pollen, which in the fall can be a real problem for me.

I have winter sheet sets and I have summer sheet sets. I also have multiple sets of both types.

Winter sheets are flannel, summer sheets are 100% cotton.

One of the most useful things I've found for my sheets on my memory foam mattress are bed sheet corner stays.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C5LB2PCD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

These do a great job at keeping the sheets from walking up the side of the mattress and popping off at night, which was a constant problem after I bought my new memory foam mattress.

As for blankets, I use, and love, light-weight fleece blankets. They're warm and very soft. If it gets cold out, two on the bed at the same time are almost as warm as my goose down comforter and a lot less bulky. Plus they're a lot easier to get into the washing machine.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2024, 12:44:30 PM »
It doesn't get as cold where I am, but fleece blankets make good toppers to add on if the existing blankets aren't enough.  I prefer cotton close to the body. 

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2024, 02:15:52 PM »
Winter sheets are flannel, summer sheets are 100% cotton.

Cotton year round as the flannel won't let me "slide" in the bed.  It just bunches up.
I do have flannel PJs for those times it is very cold but I only wore them twice this past winter.  If sufficiently cold but not "flannel weather", I sometimes use a small heating pad to first warm the foot area, then I move it to my chest area and turn it to "low".  I do this as I have never liked (or trusted) electric blankets.  Years ago, one shorted out on me and started the blanket to smoldering.  Fortunately, it didn't go to flames but I've been leery of them ever since.
One thing I forgot to say in my earlier post, I also turn the mattress 180 degrees after three months but the next time I actually flip the mattress, side over side.  Once a year, I also turn the box springs end for end.  Mattress was custom built with extra support at the 4 corners and is now about 30 years old.
I also have a 52" ceiling fan that is over the foot of the bed and continuously blows down, all year long.  The only difference is it's on LOW in the winter and HIGH the rest of the time.  I have sleep apnea and this helps to keep fresher air moving by my face.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2024, 07:25:30 AM »
My mattress can only rotate 180 degrees, as it's a memory foam uniside type. I rotate it every 6 months.

I'm thinking that I'm going to be taking the mattress and box springs off the bed frame this weekend. Seren is having more and more trouble getting into bed, and she won't use the steps I got for her. By taking away the frame it will drop the height by about 6 inches. It will be more annoying for me getting in and out, but I'm not worried about me as much as I am worried about her.

As for "sliding" on the sheets, that's the great thing about memory foam... once you get in and you get molded into place, you're not sliding anywhere. :rofl:

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2024, 02:51:44 PM »
"Unless I do something to get particularly dirty in the winter, those 3 sheets only get washed monthly."

Ick...

I just saw your statement above.  There is no "ick" factor as I either take a shower in the evening or, if not "dirty", I do a wipe-down to clean my skin's surface.
I don't ever go to bed without at least that much of a clean up.
And, being a widower and single now, that isn't a problem.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2024, 06:59:14 AM »
Even if you're  "clean" you're still shedding an amazing amount of skin, body oils, hair, saliva and yes, even fecal matter as you sleep. It builds up.

As I said.

Ick.

But, you do you.