Author Topic: Thieves stole $30 million from a cash vault  (Read 192 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Thieves stole $30 million from a cash vault
« on: April 04, 2024, 09:06:48 AM »
Thieves stole $30 million from a cash vault after breaking in through the roof in one of LA's biggest-ever heists
https://www.businessinsider.com/thieves-stole-30m-la-cash-vault-broke-through-roof-report-2024-4

Cash from businesses in the area was being stored there, and law enforcement officials told the Times that few people would have been privy to this information.

The thieves managed to breach both the building and the safe where the money was kept, the newspaper reported.
So not a bank, but a "cash storage facility".  I am a bit surprised the local Feds didn't find an excuse to search the place and do an asset forfeiture on the cash. 

Though the specifics of how the break-in occurred are uncertain, sources familiar with the investigation told the Times that the thieves accessed the vault by breaking through the roof.

How they bypassed the alarm system remains a mystery.
I guess I am not in this business, but I find it a bit odd that there was not 24/7 on site security.  Not to confront burglars, but just to call for help.  I am curious how long it took to breach the safe.

News Report:
Easter Sunday heist in Southern California nets thieves $30 million
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0JBhgT8E0A
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Thieves stole $30 million from a cash vault
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 01:20:17 PM »
People watch their perimeters but not their overheads.  There was a theft of a bunch of guns and other stuff from a now-defunct gun store hereabouts a couple of years ago.  The thieves got in through the roof.  Any number of times I've said "Hello" from my second floor balcony at someone on the ground below.  They look around and look around, and I have to say, "Up here, hi" for them to look up at me.

When I was living with Wife2 in an apartment we heard of an apartment intrusion / break-in from the ceiling hatch to the attic of the building, which allowed access to all the apartments throughout the building.

I'm now on the second floor with the attic above me and it's darned hard to see up there, but there may be some kind of netting between the apartments. Ne'ertheless, I rigged a couple of noisy tin cans on my attic hatch as a kind of alarm and indicator of attempted entry.

Paranoid?  You betcha sweet bippy I am.  Lifelong experience has taught me, as I have often said, "Paranoia is a survival trait." I don't mean clinical paranoia, but alley-cat street-smart paranoia.

"Up here, Kirk, hello."

"Oh, hi.  Didn't see you up there."

(Of course not.)

Terry

REF (Kind of a thin article on it, but here):
https://www.denverpost.com/2013/02/28/burglary-at-gunsmoke-gun-shop-in-wheat-ridge-reamins-a-mystery/
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 01:48:16 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 01:24:16 PM »
Duplicate post.  I accidentally quoted myself again.  Please delete this one.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 01:49:36 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 02:47:46 PM »
People watch their perimeters but not their overheads.  There was a theft of a bunch of guns and other stuff from a now-defunct gun store hereabouts a couple of years ago.  The thieves got in through the roof.  Any number of times I've said "Hello" from my second floor balcony at someone on the ground below.  They look around and look around, and I have to say, "Up here, hi" for them to look up at me.

When I was living with Wife2 in an apartment we heard of an apartment intrusion / break-in from the ceiling hatch to the attic of the building, which allowed access to all the apartments throughout the building.

I'm now on the second floor with the attic above me and it's darned hard to see up there, but there may be some kind of netting between the apartments. Ne'ertheless, I rigged a couple of noisy tin cans on my attic hatch as a kind of alarm and indicator of attempted entry.

Paranoid?  You betcha sweet bippy I am.  Lifelong experience has taught me, as I have often said, "Paranoia is a survival trait." I don't mean clinical paranoia, but alley-cat street-smart paranoia.

"Up here, Kirk, hello."

(Of course not.)

Terry

https://www.denverpost.com/2013/02/28/burglary-at-gunsmoke-gun-shop-in-wheat-ridge-reamins-a-mystery/

Having been a squirrel hunter and a motorcycle rider before that, I learned to keep my head and eyes moving.  Hunting taught me to look for sounds from the canopy.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2024, 10:27:50 PM »

"Up here, Kirk, hello."

(Of course not.)

Terry

Well, there is normal and healthy paranoia and then there is "I have $30 Million in cash stored here and people know it" level of paranoia.  You have to know that your business is a big target.  It is worth looking at 2nd, 3rd, and 4th level security threats and then get consultants to review it again. 

Someone in a stolen bulldozer knocking the wall down is not out of the question.  HVAC contractors and the like are going to know how your building is set up and some might get ideas or just talk too much.  Just having 24/7 guards on site eliminates a lot of threats.  They don't even have to be inside the building.  Hell, the threat of tunneling under the building is not off the table.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 09:32:08 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2024, 01:25:18 PM »
I liked this story better when it was a movie.

https://youtu.be/zIkzuXDhCcQ?feature=shared
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife