Author Topic: Kentucky Ballistics - My 50 Cal Exploded  (Read 7010 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: Kentucky Ballistics - My 50 Cal Exploded
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2022, 10:43:47 AM »
Looks like a pretty solid chunk of trunnion came at the camera at high speed.  That looks like it could do some damage.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2022, 11:35:19 AM »
Ouch - that Barrett isn't a gun I'd want to fire - or be close to when someone else was firing it - during a blow-up any more than that Serbu. (This makes me think back to one of those TV shooting shows where they welded back together a demilled 20mm cannon - Solothurn, Lahti, something like that. Then took it out and shot it.  They got away with it, but still . . . :facepalm: )

Only gun blow-up I sort of witnessed was a 12 gauge Browning Citori O/U. Match was going on at a trap field, we heard bang . . . bang . . . bang . . . BOOM!

Blew up at the breech. The barrels (minus parts at the chamber end) were rotated downward around the hinge pin around 135 degrees, and the sides of the receiver were bulged out. The gun was thoroughly destroyed, but the shooter suffered only some minor scratches to his arms and face; his shooting glasses picked up a few scratches, too, but they did their job and saved his eyes from any injury.

I don't think the guy ever did figure out what happened. As one of the more experienced shooters said, from what he'd seen over many formal shotgunning events, even a DOUBLE charge of shotgun powder should not have destroyed the gun that thoroughly. (I think the guy ultimately got some sort of compensation from Browning, but I'm not sure about that.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2022, 07:30:37 PM »
Guess he likes to blow up guns now
Rem 783 in 300 WinMag
BTW: As a fellow Kentuckian I wish to apologize on behalf of the state for that scope mount. 

Bolt Action Rifle EXPLOSION !!! (When Guns Go Boom - EP 2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHNbDEoldqc
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2022, 09:39:10 PM »
Ouch - that Barrett isn't a gun I'd want to fire - or be close to when someone else was firing it - during a blow-up any more than that Serbu. (This makes me think back to one of those TV shooting shows where they welded back together a demilled 20mm cannon - Solothurn, Lahti, something like that. Then took it out and shot it.  They got away with it, but still . . . :facepalm: )

Only gun blow-up I sort of witnessed was a 12 gauge Browning Citori O/U. Match was going on at a trap field, we heard bang . . . bang . . . bang . . . BOOM!

Blew up at the breech. The barrels (minus parts at the chamber end) were rotated downward around the hinge pin around 135 degrees, and the sides of the receiver were bulged out. The gun was thoroughly destroyed, but the shooter suffered only some minor scratches to his arms and face; his shooting glasses picked up a few scratches, too, but they did their job and saved his eyes from any injury.

I don't think the guy ever did figure out what happened. As one of the more experienced shooters said, from what he'd seen over many formal shotgunning events, even a DOUBLE charge of shotgun powder should not have destroyed the gun that thoroughly. (I think the guy ultimately got some sort of compensation from Browning, but I'm not sure about that.)

During the Obama years I was at a carbine match where a shooter blew up a high dollar AR using a cheap near unknown brand of shitty ammo called USA Ammo.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2022, 09:47:05 PM »
During the Obama years I was at a carbine match where a shooter blew up a high dollar AR using a cheap near unknown brand of shitty ammo called USA Ammo.

If you're thinking AMERC I remember them back then. The most absolutely crapyest ammo imaginable.
Just did a quick google search and it's hard to find anything on them now but I remember tests where one round was too weak to cycle the action the next was over pressured. Brittle cases, bullets seated too deep, crap powder, you name it.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2022, 10:35:22 PM »
If you're thinking AMERC I remember them back then. The most absolutely crapyest ammo imaginable.
Just did a quick google search and it's hard to find anything on them now but I remember tests where one round was too weak to cycle the action the next was over pressured. Brittle cases, bullets seated too deep, crap powder, you name it.
Sounds like Indian milsurp.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2022, 11:04:27 PM »
Sounds like Indian milsurp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoveJ1oNhSM
Speaking of Indian ammo, SmallArmsSolutions reviewed some Indian military ammo recently.  He said it chronographed good, but he mentioned hard primers.
β€œIt is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2022, 10:31:51 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoveJ1oNhSM
Speaking of Indian ammo, SmallArmsSolutions reviewed some Indian military ammo recently.  He said it chronographed good, but he mentioned hard primers.

It is hard to believe India can make anything firearms related that isn't crap.  They can't even make an AK rifle that functions properly.  Their military procurement news is always funny.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2022, 11:01:27 AM »
The only Indian military surplus I've shot was cordite-loaded .303 from the 1960s, and it was fine.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2022, 03:55:20 PM »
A general rule of thumb is not to fire ammo that comes from a country where you wouldn't drink the water.

I may bend the rule a little if the gun also came from the same country, e.g, Russian ammo in a Mosin-Nagant, Chinese ammo in a Polytech or Norinco rifle, etc.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2022, 10:21:40 PM »
But wait, there's more

Glock 19 EXPLOSION !!! (When Guns Go Boom - EP 3)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFF1-ry-_Tc
- Calvin and Hobbes

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2022, 11:19:03 PM »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2022, 05:53:47 AM »
But wait, there's more

Glock 19 EXPLOSION !!! (When Guns Go Boom - EP 3)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFF1-ry-_Tc

Next, he will drop Sig 320s to see if they fire.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2022, 06:47:34 AM »
400,000 PSI?

WTF did he have in there?

I don't think even EC Flash Powder would generate those kinds of chamber pressures.

And does he remind anyone of Merle from The Walking Dead?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2022, 12:35:50 PM »
Mark Serbu responding to criticism of his gun

I haven't watched the whole thing yet due to time constraints

RN-50 Blow-up Analysis: UPDATE!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8-eVoy38go
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #90 on: September 05, 2022, 12:54:10 PM »
I had never heard of Mark Serbu before the Kentucky Ballistics kaboom, and I have never had any interest in .50 BMG rifles. With that as background ... in my humble opinion Mark Serbu needs to stop making YouTube videos. Everything I have seen from him since the incident comes across as whiny, self-serving, overly defensive claptrap.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #91 on: September 06, 2022, 08:38:17 AM »
With the money Kentucky Ballistics apparently has to buy guns and then just blow them up, it would be more useful to get a bunch of different rifles (Winchester, Remington, Savage, Browning, Weatherby, etc.) chambered for the same cartridge, and feed them gradually increasing overloads until they start taking damage - increasing headspace, ruptured case heads, etc.

P.O.Ackley did this decades ago, mostly with military actions. (Surprising many, early Jap Arisakas were among the strongest.) It's time for a repeat with "modern" rifles - the gun rags won't do this because of fear of advertising dollars going away.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #92 on: September 12, 2022, 05:41:48 PM »
Time to blow up a Desert Eagle

My Desert Eagle EXPLODED !!! (When Guns Go Boom – EP 5)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-PjBmw19uM
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #93 on: September 12, 2022, 11:02:26 PM »
I hate it when people destroy guns without a good reason. 

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #94 on: September 12, 2022, 11:15:20 PM »
It's hard to believe that this guy has almost 3 million subscribers.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2022, 08:02:17 AM »
I hate it when people destroy guns without a good reason.

Around $300k-$400k a year is a pretty damn good reason.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2022, 10:01:45 AM »
Mark Serbu again
Says the round had pistol powder loaded
Lots of rambling in the video. I zoned out part way in. Honestly I'm started to not care anymore

RN 50 Blow Up...CONCLUSION!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4REiTR2dx98

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2024, 11:59:45 AM »
Kel-Tec RFB (308 bullpup) vs a round est to be ~300k psi (according to KB) with a squib thrown in for good measure.
From the thumbnail I thought he was going to blow up a AUG

Are Bullpup Rifles Safe ??? (When Guns Go Boom EP – 11)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWxPEO3uV2g

Spoiler alert
It held up surprisingly well
I mean your arm may be cut up but your face would be okay.
- Calvin and Hobbes