Poll

How confident are you in the journalistic media? Can you trust any media outlets? How about the "experts" they use?

I have zero confidence that anything presented as news by any source can be trusted
17 (56.7%)
I consume a diversity of media and glean from the reports a rough idea of the truth
11 (36.7%)
I have media outlets I trust to give me the facts and truth
1 (3.3%)
Most any mainstream news source will give you a decent picture of reality
0 (0%)
I love Big Brother
1 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Confidence in journalism/news/media and "experts"  (Read 997 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Confidence in journalism/news/media and "experts"
« on: April 30, 2021, 09:48:32 AM »
I ran across this quote and it pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter. The Ebola thread coming back to life made me realize how much more cynical about our culture I am now than I was even back then.

When the Red Pill starts to enter your system: "If they lied about this, what else are they lying about?"

When the Red Pill fully kicks in: "Oh my god...they lied about everything"

My starting point on every issue is that I'm being lied to or being fed disinformation and then I go from there.   [tinfoil]

It's a big adjustment, but I find I'm not nearly as disturbed by the incoherence of the propaganda that is on 24/7 rotation.     

During the Ebola thread I was still stuck in option #3, I've moved from #3 through #2 into option #1 since then.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Confidence in journalism/news/media and "experts"
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 09:54:19 AM »
The media should start selling used cars.  It would be a good fit what with their lack of professionalism and honesty.
Then again, that would be demeaning to used car sales people.  Their ethical standards are much higher.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 10:01:46 AM »
I chose the "consume a diversity" choice and hope for the best. I lean towards the worst case of "zero confidence" these days, but hope that by reading across the range of opinions (I don't believe there's much non-opinionated news these days), I will get somewhere within the general area of facts.

I do have to get better about making sure I read well past the headlines and first paragraphs of stuff, because a lot of the time when you get past the middle of the article, it no longer resembles the headline. Headlines these days seem designed to cause outrage, which is immediately disseminated by social media (also "headlines" in a way), and sadly I fall for it a lot more than I should.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 10:35:15 AM »
My views mirror Ben's, in that I hope I can root out some semblance of truth using the internet and non-mainstream sources.  One of the best things about the internet is that in the firehouse of information it provides, you can people who really understand a particular topic/story deeply.  Unfortunately, the signal-to-noise ratio is crap, and you have to approach with extreme cynicism to sort the wheat from the chaff.

The poll specifically asked about journalistic media - which I take to be organizations who's business it is to sell news.  I have zero faith in these organizations - their motivations to report accurate, truthful information are in direct conflict with their business goals of increasing views, clicks and advertisement revenue.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 10:40:57 AM »
I’ve been listening to Newsmax lately since I was turned off by Fox News during the post election bs.  Don’t totally trust Newsmax either so I usually hit multiple sources before I start to believe anything

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 10:51:57 AM »
IMO,
1.  Look for the what, who, where, when, how.  Ignore or skip the fluff/filler. 
2.  Focus on the facts and ignore the emotion and hyperbole. 
3.  Get better at separating fact versus opinion.  More importantly, don't let the crazy opinions distract you from the facts.
4.  Pay attention to what facts they are not saying. 

I find I read almost all articles with a lot of suspicion. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 12:10:09 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 10:59:05 AM »
And follow the money.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 03:37:45 PM »
When multiple media outlets use identical or nearly identical expressions and verbiage to "report" a story, it's a safe bet you're being lied to, at least in part.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 03:54:51 PM »
Even when they are not actively trying to lie, they are just repeating what another news service said or just going for click bait headlines. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2021, 04:03:47 PM »
If I could vote for the first two in the list, I would.  They are all lying, all the time.  By listening to lies from a diversity of sources you can sometimes glean a little bit of truth.  (usually it's not worth the effort)
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2021, 04:41:20 PM »
When multiple media outlets use identical or nearly identical expressions and verbiage to "report" a story, it's a safe bet you're being lied to, at least in part.

I wish I could find that dang compilation video of "local" news outlets reporting on stories. It was actually posted here somewhere. All the "local" reporters used identical language when describing the political stories. One of the local stations here was in the video and using identical phrases to local stations in LA.

When the "local" stations are all owned by corporations in NYC and Chicago, it's not really local. Same goes for "local" newspapers.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2021, 05:09:05 PM »
From what I heard, that video was the result of the corporation who owned the stations wanting all their stations to read a statement during the news broadcast and read it verbatim.  It wasn't a story they were all repeating, it was a statement handed down from corporate.  The first time I heard about it, the claim was that corporation wasn't was leftist as most and the video was an attack on a "conservative" TV corporation. 

I think the compilations Rush used to always do were better.  He would do montages of all the big talking heads describing a current story using the same phrases.  It was obvious the talking heads or their writers were colluding on the story.  Not illegal, but it showed none of them were doing independent news.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2021, 05:53:08 PM »
Believe any news source? Go read more articles about any subject that you personally know front to back. Good luck with your crying fit. WSJ is a reasonably straight arrow. I will look at a lot of sources. Right wing news is useless, all fear mongering BS, same as MSNBC
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2021, 06:07:11 PM »
The first time I heard about it, the claim was that corporation wasn't was leftist as most and the video was an attack on a "conservative" TV corporation. 

I guarantee you the one I watched was all progressive slant. I don't doubt that a right leaning corp would do the same thing.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2021, 06:27:29 PM »
I wish I could find that dang compilation video of "local" news outlets reporting on stories. It was actually posted here somewhere. All the "local" reporters used identical language when describing the political stories. One of the local stations here was in the video and using identical phrases to local stations in LA.

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_hGKT5FI78
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2021, 06:44:42 PM »
I don't think that's the one I remember. It is just repeating that one line. I'm pretty sure the one I watched had several example stories that were repeated.

It does hammer the point down though.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2021, 07:02:55 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2021, 08:33:09 PM »

I think both of those are at least 10% high.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2021, 08:35:17 PM »
I think both of those are at least 50% high.

ftfy
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2021, 11:36:16 PM »
Come on, the space worms were actually beneficial to Fry after he ate that sandwich.