Author Topic: Apparent fatal bear attack in Colorado  (Read 736 times)

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Apparent fatal bear attack in Colorado
« on: May 02, 2021, 06:47:38 AM »
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/colorado-woman-killed-rare-bear-attack-n1266063

There have only been four known deaths by bear attacks in Colorado, the "first" in 1971.)

The usual warnings were made about keeping trash sealed up, they're awakening from hibernation, possibly have cubs under their protection, etc. 

I have suggested putting a couple of ounces of Clorox (TM) in with the trash, though that's probably not a registered use for the stuff. I've also used Citronella to mask odors when I occasionally have to keep trash on my second floor balcony for a short while.  It seems to keep the magpies and squrrels from ripping the bags apart.

I reckon it ought to work for bears, too, but I have no evidence for that, just theory.  This is not meant to be a joke.

It must have been pretty horrific to find her in that state.  My sympathies are with him and her family and friends.  I hope she did not suffer much.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 07:00:12 AM by 230RN »

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Apparent fatal bear attack in Colorado
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 07:47:14 AM »
Nature is red in tooth and claw.

What a sad story.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 08:38:47 AM »
Mama bear and cubs. I'll put my money on the woman unwittingly getting between them. Otherwise black bears usually take off with a shout or a rock to the noggin.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 09:44:48 PM »
Bear and yearling cubs sent to Colorado State University in Fort Collins for analysis of stomach contents for human remains.

Dogs tracked down mother and two yearling cubs in the vicinity which were euthanized per Wildlife regulations that any animals involved in attacks on humans be destroyed --presumably for testing for disease or whatever.  This is one area where "innocent until proven guilty" does not apply.  They were in town when the bank was robbed.  I suppose this is also partly based on the legend that once an animal tastes human flesh, that's all they want.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 10:42:20 PM »
according to what I just read, the boyfriend found her remains when she didn't return but the dogs did.
that gotta be a rough thing to see.
things like this drive me nuts about cali-which is close to where i live - i find it hard to enjoy wilderness areas within driving distance because cali gun laws
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 12:34:15 PM »
Bear and yearling cubs sent to Colorado State University in Fort Collins for analysis of stomach contents for human remains.

Dogs tracked down mother and two yearling cubs in the vicinity which were euthanized per Wildlife regulations that any animals involved in attacks on humans be destroyed --presumably for testing for disease or whatever.  This is one area where "innocent until proven guilty" does not apply.  They were in town when the bank was robbed.  I suppose this is also partly based on the legend that once an animal tastes human flesh, that's all they want.
I don't think it's so much that human is all they want, it's that humans are easy mode. You're hungry, you want a snack for you and the kids. Do you try to sneak up on very paranoid, very fast-running deer that will outrun you if you're spotted early? If that's the only option, sure. When you find you can get the same amount of meat from these slow moving two-legged weirdos who are totally unaware and are all over the place, why not go the easy route?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 12:46:38 PM »
I don't think it's so much that human is all they want, it's that humans are easy mode. You're hungry, you want a snack for you and the kids. Do you try to sneak up on very paranoid, very fast-running deer that will outrun you if you're spotted early? If that's the only option, sure. When you find you can get the same amount of meat from these slow moving two-legged weirdos who are totally unaware and are all over the place, why not go the easy route?

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 02:32:23 PM »
Mama bear and cubs. I'll put my money on the woman unwittingly getting between them. Otherwise black bears usually take off with a shout or a rock to the noggin.
It is also possible both were out of sight.  Makes me wonder if the dogs sensed anything before she got close enough to draw attention from mama bear.  I figure she was on a common route and not particularly weary. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 03:38:13 PM »
Trimble is just north of Durango. It has a bunch of newer mid-upper income homes with import citizenry, all parked a simple backyard fence away some of the most rugged backcountry in the southern 48. I could easily see a non-Coloradoan out for a walk and getting into an "oh, the poor bear cubs that must be separated from their mama" situation, not realizing that mama was just out of site. Throw in mama bear not only being protective, but also hungry from just coming out of hibernation and the situation would go downhill quickly. Lots of presumption on my part, certainly, but entirely possible.

Brad
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 04:14:25 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 03:57:25 PM »
Off leash dogs, bear cubs, mama bear, panicked owner, a lot of bad scenarios could unfold.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 05:13:35 PM »

I was going to go into exactly that --hence the legend.

This question I had is kind of icky and opens up some distasteful areas:  If identifiable human remains are found in the stomachs, can or will they be sent to the funeral parlor for inclusion in the burial?  I wouldn't have asked this out of respect to the family except for the appearance of the above cartoon, which sort of gave me some kind of latitude to ask.  I apologize in advance, but the question involves possibly theological as well as technical issues.

(I'm not gong to change it, but I did not mean anything humorous by the use of the term "distasteful" above.  I only noticed it just now.)

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 05:30:24 PM by 230RN »

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2021, 05:40:50 PM »
If identifiable human remains are found in the stomachs,

Human remains confirmed.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/colorado-woman-killed-black-bears-human-remains

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB