Author Topic: Freeware PDF Editors?  (Read 497 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Freeware PDF Editors?
« on: May 03, 2021, 03:02:07 AM »
Submitting a manuscript for print-on-demand usually requires a PDF, and I'm working on a project that's going to involve merging multiple PDFs into a single file for publication, I can't put page numbers into a header or footer within my base manuscript in Word. So I'm looking for a freeware (preferably) or at least reasonably-priced PDF editor that allows creating, editing, formatting, and deleting headers and footers. I know all this can be done with Acrobat, but that's comparatively expensive, and available only by subscription.

Is there anything else out there that can handle this task? I would prefer freeware, but I'll also look at programs that are available as a one-time, lifetime purchase -- under $100.

Thanks.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Freeware PDF Editors?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 09:04:22 AM »
I use Acrobat Write at work.  Can't help you there.  Nuance is the only other program I had to use, but that was through work also.

Word should do custom headers and footers, but if you are merging multiple documents I can see how that would be difficult.  I am sure there is a way to do customize the headers to count from whatever starting number you want.  I don't know how to do that though.

I have never tried to do headers and footers in Acrobat.  It usually treats your PDF like a source document and won't edit it like you are talking about.  I am sure there are features I don't know about.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 09:20:05 AM »
I am sure there is a way to do customize the headers to count from whatever starting number you want.  I don't know how to do that though.
In 2016:
Header & Footer->Page Number->Format Page Numbers
Page Numbering: Start at

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 09:37:50 AM »
In the rare occasion I need one, I use Libreoffice and export to pdf. Don't know if it will do what you need.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 09:43:14 AM »
I believe OpenOffice can edit PDF's but I generally just view PDF's, so have no yea or nay on it's functionality. 

Nope, it opens in "Draw" not a pdf specific editor
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 10:08:49 AM »
Freeware will likely be hard to find. I use Nitro Pro, for which I think you can get a perpetual license for ~$125 during one of their many sales. It used to be much cheaper, and I was using version 9 for probably ten years, but I couldn't get it to install when I switched to win10 and had to get their latest version, which basically starts at a "pro" level, and they only have one option for non-subscription installs that don't include their business suite. It's an excellent program though, and I like it much more than Acrobat.

https://www.gonitro.com/

Otherwise PDFElement is ~$80 for a standard perpetual license.

https://pdf.wondershare.com/buy/pdfelement-windows.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 11:33:39 AM »
I've looked at PDFElement more than once. Every time I get to the Wondershare web site I kick myself in the rump. I hate Wondershare. I think they are a shoddy, sleazy, slimeball operation. Their marketing tactics would make a used car salesman blush.

Neither Word nor Libre Office can do what I need to do. I need to work with headers and footers in the PDFs, not in word processing documents that then get exported to PDF. I know it can be done in Acrobat because I've done it, but Acrobat is now very expensive and only available by subscription.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design