Author Topic: I had no idea the Android platform was so popular  (Read 632 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
I had no idea the Android platform was so popular
« on: May 02, 2021, 03:27:53 PM »
I've been using an Android smart phone for about twenty years (or so), but I pretty much use it as a phone. I like having a contact list, but my flip phones had that. I do use the built-in calendar, and I'm warming up to texting, but that's about it. I don't use my phone for e-mail or web browsing.

Not so long ago a friend who was switching over to the Apple platform passed on a Samsung Tab S2 tablet, and I'm finally getting around to exploring it to see what I can use it for. I have a freeware office suite installed, but it's limited in usefulness because the tablet doesn't have access to the same fonts that my Windows computers have -- and I can't figure out how to install new fonts for the apps (as opposed to just making them available to the user interface, which I'm happy to leave set to the default). And now there's the e-book reader. I have installed FBReader, but there are some e-books that I have on my personal MyCloud that I would really like to get into the FBReader library -- and I have no idea how to do that.

So ... in hopes of learning more about the Android operating system, I signed up for an Android forum a couple of days ago. I just logged in and started looking through the forum index to see what's trending. Answer: not a damned thing! The most recent posts date to April -- of 2018. I don't get it. Somebody is paying to maintain a forum on which no one has posted for three YEARS.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Phantom Warrior

• friend
Re: I had no idea the Android platform was so popular
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 04:16:06 PM »
Though I may regret this...what makes you have specific requirements for the fonts on your tablet?  That's a complaint I haven't heard before.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 04:16:31 PM »
A few years ago (before I even had an Android phone) I installed Android on a laptop.  Didn't keep it very long, don't remember why.  I think I couldn't find software for it.  I should try that again on a beater laptop and see if it's any different now.
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 04:19:35 PM »
I didn't know you could put Android on a laptop

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 04:21:48 PM »
I didn't know you could put Android on a laptop

Yes you can; I think the distro is call android-x86.  But after I'd done it I couldn't figure out why.   :laugh:  There are probably emulators for PC also.
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 10:37:52 PM »
There are probably emulators for PC also.

Apparently there are. After reading your post, I did some surfing and came up with this:

https://www.androidauthority.com/install-android-pc-668643/

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 10:03:19 AM »
"So ... in hopes of learning more about the Android operating system, I signed up for an Android forum a couple of days ago. I just logged in and started looking through the forum index to see what's trending. Answer: not a damned thing! The most recent posts date to April -- of 2018. I don't get it. Somebody is paying to maintain a forum on which no one has posted for three YEARS."

Not uncommon anymore. A lot of forums are going dormant due in large part, I contend, to their users porting over to Facebook.

I think we're going to start seeing the death of a LOT of stand-alone forums very soon.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.