Author Topic: So, I got a chest freezer...  (Read 898 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
So, I got a chest freezer...
« on: May 06, 2021, 08:50:23 PM »
We had a huge one on the farm, and used it for the beef and pork...

This one isn't that big - one of my customers goes to "distressed shipment" auctions, and picked up a small truckload of 5.5 cubic foot freezers. They went fast, and I got one.

And it is a good size for my small house, which has a small fridge...

And since I'm not going to be going out to the barn lot and marking the victim, I'm wondering what to put in it. I already did an ice cream test, and I have it set right.

I doubt I'll get much hunting in - Here in the urban homestead, I'm thinking that I am going to need to watch for stuff that is a loss-leader? That I'll actually eat? I eat a lot of ham and sausage and burger, and I know that bacon freezes okay too. Any suggestions? I figure I can't freeze eggs all that well, but they're cheap at Aldi anyway.

What do you guys do?
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
Re: So, I got a chest freezer...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 09:10:52 PM »
My Dad is talking about butchering a cow so I may get one.  I have no idea what I will get.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 09:14:55 PM »
In season veggies. Depends on what it is might need to parboil it or something else. If you don't have a vacuum machine get good freezer bags and an evil plastic straw. Seal it right up to the straw, suck out the air and seal as you close the last little bit.

For big cuts of meat on sale I do tight plastic wrap and then butcher paper.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 09:28:21 PM »
I had a vac machine, but that went bye-bye prior to 2010... Just had an idea... I was thinking burritos, but I might try grilling a bunch of burgers, etc., and see how they nuke up for work. I remember the women on the farm going nuts with freezing and canning, but most of that sort of thing I can buy fresh at "normal" prices pretty much year round. I need to start looking at the ads - St. Louis has two midgrade chains, a few high-end boutique stores (anyone want a Kobe beef burger? they have 'em...), and a low-end chain and Aldi and Trader Joes. I don't go to Whole Paycheck.
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 09:29:34 PM »
I got my chest freezer after the covid runs on stores. I had thought about one before, but that finally had me pull the trigger. I keep some frozen junk food, like Costco chicken bakes in it just so I have that kind of stuff if I don't feel like cooking and don't want to run to town. I also buy larger quantities of meats and keep them in there. Right now there's lots of steaks and bacon and big packs of chicken breast. I also keep flour in it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 09:57:53 PM »
I originally bought my upright freezer because I kept overrunning the freezer in the refrigerator. But, for a couple of years I didn't keep all that much stuff in it. It was under utilized.

Then I started feeding Mason a raw diet. It was full for several years until he died. Then back to under utilized.

For awhile I fed Seren a raw diet until she started wasting much of what I was feeding her, so onto a kibble she went. And again the freezer was under utilized.

Until I really started stocking up because of the Kung Flu.

I've drawn down some of it, but it's still fuller of human food than it has ever been.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 10:37:29 PM »
... I might try grilling a bunch of burgers, etc., and see how they nuke up for work.

I've done that many times.  Works pretty well, and if it's charcoal grilled, so much the better.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 06:57:41 AM »
"I had a vac machine, but that went bye-bye prior to 2010..."

I love my Food Saver machine.

When the first reports about the Kung started coming out of China I had a bad feeling that this one was going to have legs, so I started prepping. I laid in a BUNCH of meat by buying large family packs and splitting them into smaller meal portions and running them into freezer bags.

I also used it to lay by veggies like beets, chopped onions, and celery (not enough, but enough to get past the initial shortages).

I've slacked off on that as the shortages have eased, and have drawn down some, but I'm going to start replenishing over the summer.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 09:52:25 AM »
We do a Costco run as necessary to stock up on cheap(er) meats. A vacuum sealer makes a huge difference in avoiding freezer burn. Ours was well worth the small investment.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 09:58:22 AM »
Look at classifieds put away from the city and sign up to get 1/4 beef from someone. Find the right one and it shows up with the cuts you want and vac bagged. If you have space now just freeze a bunch of water so you have thermal mass to get through power outages and spare water too.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 09:59:37 AM »
While we had my son in law and his girls here, the small freezer was a must have.  It went out after they moved out and we tried going without one.  Nope, that didn't work.  I like meat so most of the small freezer is meat, and ice cream of course, and the big bottom freezer on the fridge is fish, chicken and vegies.  We keep a full pantry just cause you never know.  We didn't get hit with the big shortages here in central Ky like some parts of the country, but as soon as we knew about the Covid I stocked up full of everything we typically need.  We could likely go 3 months, other than milk and eggs.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2021, 12:01:05 PM »
"We didn't get hit with the big shortages here in central Ky"

I thought you were in Arizona or some such out west?

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2021, 02:21:16 PM »
"We didn't get hit with the big shortages here in central Ky"

I thought you were in Arizona or some such out west?

That depends on what time of year and what's going on.  We still have two properties in Az we go to when we can.  We moved here to help out my step son who was having personal issues and ended up taking him and his toddlers in and raising them for 6 years.  Now that it's time to go back I am having trouble getting VA medical services in Az.  Always something happening.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2021, 07:42:10 PM »
Where are you? I grew up in Harrodsburg.
Blog under construction

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2021, 07:52:10 PM »
You buy frozen turkeys when they are on sale really cheap and keep a couple in the freezer at all times.  Next Thanksgiving or whatever, you thaw the oldest turkey from your freezer and buy a new one to replace it.  Same goes for large pork roasts, whole chickens, steaks, and hamburger meat on sale.  Also buy frozen fruits and vegetables on sale, and freeze your own tomatoes if you have a garden.  Put jugs of water (don't fill them quite all the way) in to take up space as you're accumulating.  A 6 cubic foot freezer will fill up pretty fast unless there are no grocery loss-leaders where you live.
"It's good, though..."

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2021, 08:52:06 PM »
Where are you? I grew up in Harrodsburg.

7 miles from the front gate of Fort Knox.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2021, 10:27:31 PM »
It is looking like I'll be a couple of miles from the Pink Liquor Store in October...
Blog under construction

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2021, 09:03:36 AM »
We have 3 freezers. Could really get by with 2 since it’s just wife and I. We get a 1/2 beef from my cousin most years. Add the 1 or 2 big Illinois deer I shoot and butcher, fish I catch, a lamb some years, and whatever bargain store purchases on pork and poultry we get. I used to buy 20-25 farm raised chickens from a guy but he died.
My wife freezes soups and stews etc. when we had a greenhouse and garden we would freeze lots of veggies, still do some.
Vacuume sealer is a must. I wore out 2 FoodSucker brand before I bought a commercial grade vac and seal. I buy bulk rolls of 8,11, and 15” bag material and cut to fit needs.
We have a big chest freezer, a medium chest freezer and an upright. The upright is oldest and I would like to move it out but my wife prefers it for her stuff. It’s too hard for her to move the dollar store dish tubs full of meat around in the chest freezers but it’s the best way I’ve found to organize all our meat.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2021, 09:17:27 AM »
It is looking like I'll be a couple of miles from the Pink Liquor Store in October...

I drive by there at least once a week.  Welcome to the sweatbox.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2021, 07:28:18 PM »
With just a few times I missed, I've been going to The Creek since 1997. Broke my left ankle just outside the WWII "Stripes" barracks row...
Blog under construction

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2021, 07:06:35 PM »
Bogie - if you haven't done so already, fins some small plastic crates/boxes in which to store the food.  No lids, just the boxes.  Arrange them in a "criss-cross" pattern so the ones below support the ones above without crushing the food and allow air to flow and cool the food.  This will also make it easier to lift a batch up and out to search for a specific item.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2021, 02:00:24 PM »
We use cloth shopping bags with handles, which I used to buy by the hundreds for my shop.  Makes it really easy to lift them out to find what you need. We also completely empty the freezer at least once a year to rearrange, usually when we get a whole steer in.