Author Topic: R.L. Wilson and the "Trade of the Century"  (Read 1268 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
R.L. Wilson and the "Trade of the Century"
« on: January 05, 2021, 09:34:03 AM »
Ian looks into R.L.Wilson and his corrupt dealings with the Connecticut State Library museum and others. Be willing to bet this is just the tip of the iceberg.
Far too complex to nutshell here so grab a cup of coffee but you may want to keep the bourbon handy.
It's a little under 30 minutes long

True Crime Collector Skulduggery: R.L. Wilson and the "Trade of the Century"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nhUpPbqD44
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 01:19:01 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: R.L. Wilson and the "Trade of the Century"
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 12:41:24 PM »
Fascinating, and disappointing. I visited that collection a number of years ago. It was very impressive -- and I was there after this all went down, so I guess the collection was even more impressive before I saw it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 08:50:16 PM »
Listening to a C&Rsenal patreon podcast right now that is 2 hours long. Far more detail
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 09:25:24 PM »
Not even half way through the podcast and my head is spinning at all the ins and outs. Quite revealing in the often hidden dealings in the big money gun collecting world.
Not sure yet if there is a non patreon way of listening to this.

Wow, now there's a love triangle mixed in with the dealings.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 10:27:35 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 07:04:21 AM »
There were serious concerns about Wilson's ethics and dealings among staff when I was working for American Rifleman in the early 1990s.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 08:40:15 PM »
I didn't live in Connecticut as an adult until 2007, though I did live here from birth until 1982, then again from '86-'87.  So this entire story missed my notice.  Fascinating stuff.

The only genuine Colts I ever owned were an Official Police, 4" .38 SPC, and an AR-15A2 (as was marked on the receiver).  The revolver was about as collectible as pocket lint, but I still regret selling it.  The AR was sold for a $1200 profit during the AWB.  I have fewer regrets about that, although in Connecticut now it would be worth a small fortune.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 08:52:11 PM »
although in Connecticut now it would be worth a small fortune.

Coming soon to a country near you.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2021, 11:04:47 AM »
Coming soon to a country near you.

I can still buy an AR by virtue of my military service, though that status does little to diminish the magazine restrictions in this state. Against all reason I'm still holding out hope for a SCOTUS ruling to slap the wrists of our legislature.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2021, 03:15:15 PM »
I can still buy an AR by virtue of my military service, though that status does little to diminish the magazine restrictions in this state. Against all reason I'm still holding out hope for a SCOTUS ruling to slap the wrists of our legislature.

Well, keep in mind that one good thing came from "Heller vs. D. C.,"  a statement that the Second Amendment does protect modern firearms.  

Beyond that ,  a hope and a prayer,  I can't offer much more reassurance ..... =|
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2021, 07:03:04 PM »
Well, keep in mind that one good thing came from "Heller vs. D. C.,"  a statement that the Second Amendment does protect modern firearms.  

Beyond that ,  a hope and a prayer,  I can't offer much more reassurance ..... =|

Going by the recent history of the SCOTUS when a challenge to a draconian gun ban finally get to them they just deny cert based on some BS technicality. That way they won't have to take the correct position or overturn a recent ruling.
 :mad:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2021, 11:26:52 PM »
Going by the recent history of the SCOTUS when a challenge to a draconian gun ban finally get to them they just deny cert based on some BS technicality. That way they won't have to take the correct position or overturn a recent ruling.
 :mad:

Yea,  that certainly could happen.    I'm not so sure I want to borrow that kind of trouble at this point. 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2021, 10:40:32 AM »
C&Rsenal uploaded their podcast to youtube  on the subject.

Unloaded 30: Manufacturing Colt's History, the R.L. Wilson years
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq8yHzNF3DM
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 11:42:35 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2021, 10:50:53 AM »

Interesting. How does that work? Would you just order an AR from out of state and ship to your FFL, do proof of ID, etc., or do they actually still let FFLs in-state keep ARs in stock?

I've seen the "cops can still get stuff" stuff back  in CA, but IIRC, there weren't any military exemptions for private ownership. I could be wrong on that.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2021, 06:17:50 PM »
I've not inquired with any seriousness, but the few times I did the answer was "we've got stuff in the back you can look at."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2021, 08:31:19 PM »

You can buy a "firearm" in CT.  Basically, it is a long-barreled AR pistol, with a VFG, and a pistol brace instead of a stock.  It looks and functions like a banned assault weapon, but it is a "firearm" by CT's laws.  Loophole for the win.

As for magazines, NH isn't far away.  Cash and carry.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2021, 12:31:32 AM »
You can buy a "firearm" in CT.  Basically, it is a long-barreled AR pistol, with a VFG, and a pistol brace instead of a stock.  It looks and functions like a banned assault weapon, but it is a "firearm" by CT's laws.  Loophole for the win.

As for magazines, NH isn't far away.  Cash and carry.

But Connecticut has a magazine capacity limit of 10 rounds. Connecticut residents can't buy magazines holding more than 10 rounds for anything. Sure, they can buy them in NH -- but as soon as they cross into Connecticut with it/them, they become instant felons.