Author Topic: Another capitalist pig organization goes capitalist  (Read 755 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Another capitalist pig organization goes capitalist
« on: May 09, 2021, 02:28:47 PM »
I can't blame them, but I don't have to like it.

Dropbox has gone Photobucket on us. When I started using Dropbox, at least a decade or so ago, there was no limit on how many devices a free account could connect to the account. As a widower whose only child is an adult not living with me, I'm only one person but circumstances have conspired to leave me with three desktop computers, two notebook computers, two Windows tablets, and an Android tablet. In 2019 Dropbox changed their rules, so that new free accounts could only have three devices connected. I ran afoul of that when I gave away an old notebook and wanted to add a newer one to my account. Couldn't do it -- so I was down to six devices (I never put the Android tablet on Dropbox). Supposedly, existing accounts were grandfathered as long as you kept the same devices, but you couldn't add new ones.

That has apparently changed. Last night I fired up the #2 desktop and tried to access a file on Dropbox. It wouldn't allow me access. I got an error message telling me that my account has too many devices on it, and that I have to select which ones I want to remove.

Well, I'm sorry, Dropbox, but a cloud service that only includes half of my devices is useless. And no, I'm not going to upgrade to one of your paid plans. You sucked me in by offering a free service. I understand that you want to make money, but that's not my problem. I could tolerate the grandfathered limit, but now dropping my account to three devices is unacceptable.

So I'm moving my files from Dropbox to pCloud. I also have a GoogleDrive account, a Microsoft OneDrive account, and I just signed up for a (free) account with Box -- and they all allow me to use all of my devices. I think I'll get by just fine without Dropbox.

Sorry to be petty, but I hope Dropbox becomes as irrelevant as Photobucket has become.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Another capitalist pig organization goes capitalist
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 03:33:13 PM »
Remember,  if the service is free you are the product.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 03:43:05 PM »

Cough Google Cough Facebook Cough
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 06:30:25 PM »
Cough Google Cough Facebook Cough
Hey ... APS is free too ...

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 07:14:27 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 09:48:40 PM »
Hey ... APS is free too ...

So what's the $15.00 charge every month for?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

zahc

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 09:29:52 AM »
This is well-known. Dropbox got new leadership/ownership a couple years ago and it was clear to everyone that they would be killing the service in order to monetize it. It sounds like it took a year or two before they succeeded and you noticed.

The service formerly known as Dropbox is now dead. Unfortunately I don't know of any replacement.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 09:41:27 AM »
I've used drop box... once or twice?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 09:44:32 AM »
Buy a cheap computer, jam a huge hard drive in it with a VPN and shove it in your closet?

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 09:50:43 AM »
Sure, running your own IT infrastructure is usually an option, if you have enough time and money and can hire the right people to run it and keep it from being destroyed by spammers and hackers. Then yeah, you could build yourself some replacement for Dropbox. Maybe.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2021, 10:44:22 AM »
This is well-known. Dropbox got new leadership/ownership a couple years ago and it was clear to everyone that they would be killing the service in order to monetize it. It sounds like it took a year or two before they succeeded and you noticed.

The service formerly known as Dropbox is now dead. Unfortunately I don't know of any replacement.

pCloud. Box.

I knew they had capped the number of devices on a free account. I ran afoul of it when I replaced a notebook computer awhile back and it created an inconvenience, but it wasn't an extremely serious inconvenience. But when they initiated the cap the story was that any devices already on the account were grandfathered. I guess that didn't get rid of enough of us freeloaders so they have now removed the grandfathering. The second desktop unit I couldn't access my calendar from has been on my Dropbox account for years, and the files always synced until this weekend.

May they follow Photobucket into oblivion.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2021, 10:46:03 AM »
pCloud. Box.

I knew they had capped the number of devices on a free account. I ran afoul of it when I replaced a notebook computer awhile back and it created an inconvenience, but it wasn't an extremely serious inconvenience. But when they initiated the cap the story was that any devices already on the account were grandfathered. I guess that didn't get rid of enough of us freeloaders so they have now removed the grandfathering. The second desktop unit I couldn't access my calendar from has been on my Dropbox account for years, and the files always synced until this weekend.

May they follow Photobucket into oblivion.

Photobucket was bought out by more sane owners a while back. I'm currently using them.
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2021, 12:30:48 PM »
Sure, running your own IT infrastructure is usually an option, if you have enough time and money and can hire the right people to run it and keep it from being destroyed by spammers and hackers. Then yeah, you could build yourself some replacement for Dropbox. Maybe.

That was kinda my point.  If it was easy and cheap everyone would do it.

I strongly suspect any version of "free" cloud storage is doing something you really wouldn't like if you dig in the right place.  Cash is coming in somehow to buy and run those servers and pay people to keep them up.  If you aren't paying them, someone else is.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2021, 02:09:18 PM »

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.