Author Topic: Sig suing Springfield over the Hellcat's magazine design  (Read 1490 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Sig suing Springfield over the Hellcat's magazine design
« on: May 11, 2021, 08:04:49 PM »
Patent on the P365 magazine design was granted on March 30th 2021 and now Sig is going after Springfield over the Hellcat's magazine supposedly violating that patent.

SIG SAUER Files P365 Magazine Patent Infringement Suit Against Springfield Armory
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/sig-sauer-files-p365-magazine-patent-infringement-case-against-springfield/

Part that puzzles me is this
Patent Infringement?
The SIG P365 magazine functions as a combination of a double and a single stack design. The bottom portion is a double stack, and it gradually slopes into a single stack. This allows them to squeeze ten rounds in a short little magazine. The P365 magazine patent describes it as such.

Unless some detail is being left out this sound like they patented the double stack/single feed magazine design and aren't most pistol magazines double stack/single feed?

« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 08:21:11 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Sig suing Springfield over the Hellcat's magazine design
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 08:37:56 PM »
This strikes me as ridiculous.  And any company that sues another over mag design, if it isn't particularly novel like perhaps the FN57 mags or otherwise unique, is barking up the wrong tree.  Especially if they sell copious numbers of 1911's and anything that takes STANAG magazines.

Not that the Hellcat and P365 share mag commonality... but commonality is something to aspire to. 

Why sue over this, and not over Kel Tec SUB-2000 designing to a specific mag well of a proprietary handgun?  Or all the AR lowers that use "glock mags?"
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 08:40:45 PM »
My guess is because the Hellcat has been eating into 365 sales so go after them first.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 08:45:58 PM »
I don’t see how they can patent it multiple columns feeding into a single stack have been around for a while.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 08:58:14 PM »
I don’t see how they can patent it multiple columns feeding into a single stack have been around for a while.

I'm going to guess, that Sig designed some part of the magazine to take best advantage of the taper of 9x19 cartridges for a slightly more efficient stacking.  Unique enough to patent?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 09:00:34 PM »

In the comments
Then again Glock got a patent on the trigger blade “safety” they copied from a 80 year old Iver Johnson safety hammerless revolver. Go figure.

If no one filed a patent yet  well...

But also this in the comments
Sig has a claim. First to file. However, the patent can be invalidated if Springfield can show prior art (by anyone) prior to the filing.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 09:02:51 PM »
I'm going to guess, that Sig designed some part of the magazine to take best advantage of the taper of 9x19 cartridges for a slightly more efficient stacking.  Unique enough to patent?

That's the sort of detail I wonder we're missing
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 09:22:35 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 10:08:28 PM »
Sig is trying to take on the HK mantle?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 10:09:54 PM »
It does seem to look a bit different than your standard P226/Beretta92 mag design - those seem to slim down right before the top round of the mag, while the 365/Hellcat look to slim down 2-3 rds earlier. I could see how that is the innovation that allows them to be as skinny as a single-stack yet hold quite a bit more ammo - you basically are a single stack for the top few inches of the mag, so more room to stuff the action in there, while the empty grip below can hold doublestacked cartridges for a few inches, going from 6-7rds in a single stack gun to 10-12 in this one, without adding much if any bulk. Very neat idea. The fact that even the Hellcat has successfully undergone 10k+rd torture tests and survived (with just regular recoil spring changes IIRC) is pretty remarkable. For ages, if you wanted a reliable pocket gun it's the j-frame or nothing, now you have options that are more rugged than many of the early fullsize 9mms and not much heavier than a j-frame, with double the capacity or more. Plus, many will even mount a red dot, so you have something capable of much easier longer distance reach as well - 10yds and over, red dots on pistols start to be pretty awesome. While I'm extremely biased against striker fired anything due to safety/NPE concerns, it's quite an accomplishment to have something that light, that small, that cheap, that reliable.
The hotness when I started on gun forums for itty bitty 9mm pistols was the Kahr series, and they weren't terribly reliable, and I remember all the threads about how you had to break the things in.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 10:39:58 PM »
Ironically I just ordered some Hellcat mags Sunday
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2021, 12:26:29 AM »
In the comments
If no one filed a patent yet  well...

I don't think you can patent something that's in the public domain. How long have we had double stack magazines with a taper at the top? At least since FN introduced the Hi-Power.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fthemagshack.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F05%2FMCGBRHP15B_2_HR-e1559174389823.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

S&W 5096?
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/prodimages/46536-DEFAULT-l.jpg
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2021, 09:10:08 AM »
The complaint

Site won't let me copy and paste anything but note sections 21, 24 and 26
Springfield was notified Dec 2019 and the suit appears to has to do with the particular shape of the sides of the mag as it transitions from single to double stack

https://www.scribd.com/document/507702678/Sig-v-Springfield-Complaint
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 10:57:55 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2021, 10:50:01 AM »
I figured there would be some technical detail they patented.  Not sure if it was really unique or they just decided to patent it to force competitors to work around it. 

I wonder if they will try to take action against Ruger and S&W.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2021, 02:12:12 PM »
We need a Godwin's law for Trump.
In the comments orange man is brought up.
Trump even came up in the comments for Heinkel 111 YT video recently.

SIG Files Lawsuit Against Springfield For Patent Infringement
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2021/05/13/sig-sauer-lawsuit-springfield/
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2021, 04:25:47 PM »
Harald Mustafah  Max Müller • an hour ago
So SIG's patent claims explicitly describe a magazine with the combination of surfaces I've highlighted in blue. Previous double to single stacks have only had the front stepped part (like the P7M13, S&W Shield, and now Ruger Max-9), and otherwise two more or less continuous body tapers interrupted by a deeper groove taper. And for some reason, possibly weren't even aware of the patent, SA/HS Produkt duplicated this exact combination of faces. Funny enough, HS Produkt has an active design patent on their magazine.
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2021/05/13/sig-sauer-lawsuit-springfield/

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2021, 01:41:22 PM »
Springfield Responds to SIG SAUER’s Magazine Patent Lawsuit
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2021/05/14/springfield-responds-sig-lawsuit/
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2021, 01:47:35 PM »
Springfield Responds to SIG SAUER’s Magazine Patent Lawsuit
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2021/05/14/springfield-responds-sig-lawsuit/

There's a pic in the comments, comparing Springfield Hellcat, P365 mags, and a S&W mag from 2005.

let's see if it'll hotlink....

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2021, 01:04:27 PM »
Springfield just released a 15rd magazine for the Hellcat
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2021, 01:18:47 PM »
Finally got to fondle a Hellcat over the weekend. They are indeed quite small. Impressively so, in fact, though nothing earth-shattering as they are similar in overall size and feel to the Kahr PM9.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2021, 01:24:04 PM »
Finally got to fondle a Hellcat over the weekend. They are indeed quite small. Impressively so, in fact, though nothing earth-shattering as they are similar in overall size and feel to the Kahr PM9.

Brad

11+1 with the flush mag vs 6+1 in the Kahr
https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/kahr-pm9-vs-springfield-hellcat-micro-compact
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 01:44:25 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2021, 01:42:54 PM »
11+1 with the flush mag vs 6+1 in the Kahr
https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/springfield-hellcat-micro-compact-vs-kahr-pm9

Yeah, that's impressive. Not $500 worth of impressive to me, though, at least not yet. Let me get a few more pennies in the Fun Money envelope that that might change.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2021, 12:52:51 AM »
Yeah, that's impressive. Not $500 worth of impressive to me, though, at least not yet. Let me get a few more pennies in the Fun Money envelope that that might change.

Brad
Right... it's more a really compelling choice for newbies on the gun scene looking for best of breed concealed carry guns. For those who have carried a decade plus without needing to get into gunfights (and invested a few hundred into carry guns)... do you really need a slightly better tool to deal with the gunfights you don't get into?

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2021, 08:33:28 AM »
Aaaaand, Taurus dips their head into that ring.  Just announced: https://taurusgx4.com/en-us/.

Does not look like just another development of their PT111G2/G2/G3 series.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2021, 09:29:46 AM »
I have a friend who is a patent lawyer.  He made a boat load of money doing this kind of work for major companies.  Basically, you find a competitor who has a product designed close enough to something proprietary that your company has patented,  and you file suit.  The endgame goal is either to force the competitors to stop using the design OR back them into a corner where the competitors have to pay licensing fees for their product.  Glock is pretty notorious for forcing competitors to pay licensing fees.  They won't even allow for airsoft copies of Glocks unless they are paying licensing fees.  I bet SIG will push their suit, Springfield will offer cash, and this all goes away.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark