Author Topic: Starlink  (Read 2726 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Starlink
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2022, 04:37:10 PM »
Really needs to be here
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2022, 05:40:20 PM »
Scott Manley just released a video
Watching now

SpaceX Loses 40 Satellites To Solar Storm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kIcEFyEPgA
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2022, 06:10:31 PM »
I'd order it tonight if they'd somehow manage to lower the hardware cost.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2022, 07:02:36 PM »
I’d order it tonight if they’d ship before “late 2022”.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2022, 07:12:03 PM »
Huh, that's the anticipated ship date for my area too.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2022, 12:11:20 PM »
My cousin, who i convinced to sign up, just got his dish a couple days ago after about 10 months wait. He’s in northern Ontario, and getting 440mb down and 200 up. I told him he probably has the fastest connection within about 200 miles of his house.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2022, 10:10:43 PM »
Dish Network is seeking permission to operate a high-power mobile service in the 12 GHz band and according to tests conducted by SpaceX this will interfere with Starlink and other provider's internet service.

SpaceX warns 5G plan would deny Starlink to most Americans
https://spacenews.com/spacex-warns-5g-plan-would-deny-starlink-to-most-americans/
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2022, 02:27:37 PM »
Got our Starlink system yesterday.  We watched Empire Strikes Back in 1080p, while I transferred 20GB of data at the same time.  And it all worked!  I’m not quite sure what to do with myself.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2022, 12:58:29 PM »
Kind of a tangent. Absolutely dumb luck, but I happened to be outside at 2045MDT to let the dog do his business. I had my NODs on and looked up at the North sky, and there was a train of satellites moving across the sky. I wasn't sure, but looking it up later, they turned out to be Starlink satellites (Starlink-61). I couldn't see them with my naked eyes, but they really popped with the NODs. I was watching some unknown but larger sats crisscrossing the Starlink train as well. There is a whole lot of stuff in orbit. Starlink-60 are supposed to be passing over at 2015 tonight, so I'll be checking those out too.

This is the link if you want to check out Starlink sats in your AO:

www.findstarlink.com
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2023, 09:29:56 AM »
I can't even remember if I was aware of this when they first announced it, but Amazon is competing with Starlink. They just debuted their antenna lineup, though the system won't be "on" until 2024.

I'm not sure if I want sat internet from a penis rocket company. Funny side note, they're using someone else's rockets to launch their sats.  :rofl:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/14/amazon-first-look-project-kuiper-satellite-internet-antennas.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2023, 09:36:15 AM »

I'm not sure if I want sat internet from a penis rocket company.

That suffers from erectile dysfunction
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2024, 08:20:04 PM »
Some Starlink news

SpaceX gets E-band radio waves to boost Starlink broadband
https://spacenews.com/spacex-gets-e-band-radio-waves-to-boost-starlink-broadband/

Last year, SpaceX said using E-band radio waves for backhaul would enable Starlink Gen2 to provide about four times more capacity per satellite than earlier iterations, without elaborating.
- Calvin and Hobbes