Author Topic: Memphis bridge closed due to crack  (Read 2438 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Memphis bridge closed due to crack
« on: May 13, 2021, 08:59:22 AM »
https://www.npr.org/2021/05/12/996407481/cracked-memphis-bridge-remains-indefinitely-closed-disrupting-supply-chain?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR0pg0hHGOJ-mr6ewlMeYT-9S96hnkYqPZ7hKpluayQxsdk1kihmU8aY8qU

I don't have my civil engineering boards hanging on the wall, so how does one go about fixing a major crack in a major structural beam?  Do you have to cut out and replace the beam, can you weld a patch over it, or what?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Memphis bridge closed due to crack
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 09:07:10 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 09:11:54 AM »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 09:19:59 AM »
Weld some paperclips over it.  I think that's what they did with the bridge in Minneapolis some years ago.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 09:23:21 AM »
If one beam has a crack I suspect they will check all of them before starting repairs.

I also suspect they will revisit the blueprints and recheck everything to make sure this isn't the result of a design flaw.

No engineering background here either, but I did stay at a ...  :laugh:
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 09:40:08 AM »
This is exactly what happens when you let politicians steal the money destined for repairs and replacement of infrastructure. Of course those same politicians then decry the crises they created and if you don’t hurry up and vote for more taxes and funding you hate infrastructure.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 09:50:02 AM »
This is exactly what happens when you let politicians steal the money destined for repairs and replacement of infrastructure. Of course those same politicians then decry the crises they created and if you don’t hurry up and vote for more taxes and funding you hate infrastructure.

A day or two before Obama announced his grand trillion dollar infrastructure plan they found a crack and panic closed the I-64 bridge over the Ohio here in Louisville. Obama in his speech then used it as example of why we needed to pass his plan. Turned out the crack had been there since the bridge opened in the 50s. We did get two new 4 billion dollars bridges that they had been dragging their feet on out of the deal and it now cost $4 to cross our bridges except for one. Someone decided it would be racist if the local access one wasn't left free.

Edit: $4.31 one way
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 10:28:01 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 10:08:51 AM »
The new bridge deal also cost us something like $300* million to dig a tunnel under the house of a friend of Yarmuth who refused to move. Before Yarmuth was elected they were going to force the guy out. After Y's election suddenly we had to dig a tunnel under the guy's "historic" house. After the tunnel was done the guy moved. Nothing suspicious about that at all.

* Hard to find an exact figure.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2021, 10:28:01 AM »
Here in the Seattle area, they are looking at a multi-million dollar repair of the West Seattle bridge, a concrete high-rise bridge that is the main point of access to West Seattle.  A routine inspection found a number of significant cracks in the concrete, and they have hired many concrete and engineering experts to try and find out what gives. The City of Seattle is now thinking about using car license tabs revenue to pay for the repairs.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2021, 10:33:45 AM »
Bridge repair costs aren't covered by the last infrastructure bill?

When was the last time an infrastructure bill was passed? Obama?

Considering all the talk about infrastructure you would think we would have seen Federal funding pass.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2021, 10:43:44 AM »
Bridge repair costs aren't covered by the last infrastructure bill?

When was the last time an infrastructure bill was passed? Obama?

Considering all the talk about infrastructure you would think we would have seen Federal funding pass.
States pass infrastructure funding every year.  Or at least they tax people for infrastructure.  Is is spent on infrastructure?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2021, 12:17:52 PM »
How things happen in St. Louis.

A project goes up for bids. Preference is given to "small disadvantaged businesses" in most things. Usually minority friends of the administration. Someone will win the contract. They will then hire a firm which can actually complete the project, and maintain a trailer on the project site to "inspect." In reality, the same big construction companies do the work, and the graft happens.
Blog under construction

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2021, 02:41:21 PM »
That's not a "crack" -- that's what we call a "break."

And that "crack" didn't happen overnight. That had to have been there for a long time, and it did start out as a crack. I'd like to know how many previous bridge inspections missed it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2021, 03:10:50 PM »
It'll buff right out.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2021, 03:26:22 PM »
The fact that the bridge didn't collapse is testimony to the important of redundancy in the design of critical structures. As my first year structural engineering professor put it, "Stress goes where there's material there to resist it." Back in the early 1980s there was a bridge on I-95 in Connecticut that didn't have redundancy in its design. It collapsed into the river, killing a few people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mianus_River_Bridge

About three (or so) years ago, there was a break somewhat similar to this one in a bridge on the Northeast Extension of the Pennsylvania Turnpike, where it crosses from Pennsylvania into New Jersey. That one, too, was saved by a redundant design. One member failed, but the remaining structure had sufficient excess carrying capacity that the bridge didn't collapse.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2021, 03:51:04 PM »

And that "crack" didn't happen overnight. That had to have been there for a long time, and it did start out as a crack. I'd like to know how many previous bridge inspections missed it.
Agreed.  A crack indicates the beam is not fully broken. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2021, 05:36:17 PM »
There was a business here closed due to crack.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

griz

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2021, 12:18:55 PM »

That was my first thought.  Somebody who never had an engineering class could see that from a boat on the river and just know that was a problem.  How did it get that far?

By the way, it may have happened before but this is the first time I've heard of the inspectors calling 911 to get the bridge shut down. 
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2021, 12:32:28 PM »
Not an engineer but a steelworker and leftover airplane inspector. In my mind everything is suspect and a thorough inspection starts with the paperwork for all the steel in that heat when it got made and goes from there. All prior inspections, metallurgical analysis, and the whole bridge inspected. Cyclic fatigue isn’t fun so this isn’t just a weld a stiffening plate on it and move on fix.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2021, 05:10:54 PM »
I wonder how many crackheads are circling under the bridge looking for fallout ...

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2021, 04:18:03 AM »
It was a stress-relief crack.

So now that the stress has been relieved, we can forget about it.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2021, 09:26:24 PM »
An unidentified inspector who failed to discover a crack in the Hernando de Soto Bridge linking Arkansas and Tennessee that prompted the span’s closure was fired Monday morning and may face charges, according to reports.

Arkansas Department of Transportation Director Lorie Tudor said the inspector was fired after drone video showed the crack on the bridge spanning the Mississippi River in May 2019.
Tudor said all "fracture critical" bridges that had been inspected by the fired employee will be re-inspected.

Arkansas Department of Transportation Director Lorie Tudor said the inspector was fired after drone video showed the crack on the bridge spanning the Mississippi River in May 2019.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/hernando-de-soto-bridge-inspector-fired-for-not-flagging-crack-in-span

ARDOT says inspector who did 2019 & 2020 I-40 bridge inspection has been fired
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpGDMQ0cvd4

Drone footage from 2019.
https://youtu.be/qmbeDO53TK8?t=19

Still from the drone footage. How could someone miss that? Yikes!

- Calvin and Hobbes

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2021, 09:42:59 PM »
If they have drone footage from 2019, why did it take until 2021 to close the bridge.  Was the fired inspector the only one who viewed the footage?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2021, 11:24:32 PM »
If they have drone footage from 2019, why did it take until 2021 to close the bridge.  Was the fired inspector the only one who viewed the footage?

The drone footage is a tool to facilitate the inspection. The inspection product is the written condition report, and that's almost certainly what the superiors reviewed. The report didn't mention any cracks, so the supervisors assumed everything was okay.