Author Topic: Mediterranean style sardines  (Read 2457 times)

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Mediterranean style sardines
« on: May 18, 2021, 02:01:22 AM »
Yum.

Just the right amount of olives.
Just the right amount of garlic.
Just the right amount of peppers.
Just the right smount of herbs.
Just the right amount of olive oil.

These are perfect.

Yum.

I love sardines, but of course the lingering smell is a little off-putting.

So I make sure I open the can in an unfolded supermarket bag and capture all the residual vapors in there before putting it in the trash.

But yum.

Terry, 212 pound reluctant gourmand but you shoulda seen me at 185 pounds, 230RN

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Mediterranean style sardines
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 06:36:54 AM »
I occasionally enjoy a tin of sardines, often on crackers with capers and shaved parmigiano. Makes for a nice snack or the base of a simple lunch.

Those I wouldn't particularly care for because of the olives.

Good fish that's good for you.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 01:13:28 PM »
Great!  I'll try these. I normally get the ones in hot sauce, or maybe mustard. Good thing is, in our household of six, I'm the only one who likes sardines.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 01:47:56 PM »
Luscious green olives, sort of OK brown olives or nasty black olives?

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 01:57:15 PM »
Olives. ALL olives.

Olives are nasty. They're the Democrats of the vegetable world.

Over the years I've softened SLIGHTLY towards them. A few years ago I was actually able to eat three small Lebanese style olives without projectile vomiting all over my dinner companions.

At new year's I was able to choke down one small bite of a green olive, but that was after a substantial amount of alcohol numbed my tongue.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 08:14:34 PM »
Olives. ALL olives.

Olives are nasty. They're the Democrats of the vegetable world.

Over the years I've softened SLIGHTLY towards them. A few years ago I was actually able to eat three small Lebanese style olives without projectile vomiting all over my dinner companions.

At new year's I was able to choke down one small bite of a green olive, but that was after a substantial amount of alcohol numbed my tongue.

My, you do make your point.  Not recommended for K Frame.  The package says, and all I've ever seen, is black olives.

Not really off topic, since black olives have some kind of strong psychotropic effect on most cats  --2 out of 3 of the ones I had. 

It's like the strongest catnip you've ever seen a cat get high on.  So, back on topic, I wonder if there's some kind of weird effect on K Frame.  Like K Framenip.

I've mentioned that cat effect before.  WLJ, I wonder if you have anything to say about cats 'n black olives  (Black ones are the only ones I ever get for the house  --the olives, not the cats.)

One thing I would surmise, is that when they say extra virgin olive oil on the sardines, it probably actually is.  From what I've read about olive oil, genuinely unadulterated (extra virgin) olive oil is about as hard to find as rattlesnake feathers. One of the problems, as I understand it, is there aren't any definitive industry-standard analytic tests to discriminate the added oils (cottonseed, rapeseed, etc).  The testing, I understand, has to be done by taste testers.

I use a lot of olive oil, but I've mostly been using it from spray cans for laziness' sake:

I know, I know, not the "best," but "good enough."  If everything were perfect, this would be heaven, and we all know this ain't heaven.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 11:05:47 PM by 230RN »

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 10:08:29 PM »
Damn, now I gotta get a cat just to feed it olives.

I like kippers a lot, sometimes sardines. As long as they weren't packed in asia I figure it is a lot healthier fish than eating apex predators. I really liked canned smoked oysters but most people don't allow them around for some reason.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 10:39:16 PM »
Damn, now I gotta get a cat just to feed it olives.

I like kippers a lot, sometimes sardines. As long as they weren't packed in asia I figure it is a lot healthier fish than eating apex predators. I really liked canned smoked oysters but most people don't allow them around for some reason.

I love smoked oysters. I always kept a can in my survival vest when I was flying. When the weather got really nasty and we were down low getting the crap beat out of us I would often open them up and try to share them. The people were even quicker to turn me down if the plane was hot, which at low altitude it often was.  >:D

bob :laugh:

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2021, 10:41:12 PM »
I think I would love the sardines in the OP, I will look for them at my LGS (Local Grocery Store)  =)

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

230RN

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2021, 10:41:57 PM »
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 10:58:16 PM by 230RN »

230RN

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2021, 10:56:39 PM »
Well, you don't  feed the cats the olives.  You just lay one on the floor and watch them roll on it and rub their faces on it and bat it around a little and get real silly with it.

One of my cats used to do a somersault with it.  Damndest thing I ever saw.  He'd put the top of his head on it, then just go on over, kerplop.  Well, cats don't plop.  They more just kerflumf.

I'm not big on oysters, mainly because I never could open one with aplomb.  But I used to go clamming on the north shore of Long Island.  Spot a clam breathing hole in knee deep water, dig it up, shuck it open, and eat it.  Then I'd skip the shell along the water, like Opie skipping a stone.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2021, 11:01:31 PM »
I think I would love the sardines in the OP, I will look for them at my LGS (Local Grocery Store)  =)

King Oscar has a lot of similarly-packed products.  Make sure  you get the Mediterranean Style. 

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2021, 11:19:31 PM »
King Oscar has a lot of similarly-packed products.  Make sure  you get the Mediterranean Style.

Unlike my wife, I do read labels before purchasing.

Uranus is a gas giant.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2021, 12:22:21 AM »

I've mentioned that cat effect before.  WLJ, I wonder if you have anything to say about cats 'n black olives  (Black ones are the only ones I ever get for the house  --the olives, not the cats.)

Never heard of it
A quick google search comes up mixed on the subject. Will research later.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2021, 06:30:36 AM »
"My, you do make your point."

Gotta make sure you dullards can comprehend it.

Oddly enough, most olives taste like soap to me when I eat them. I guess it's like people who don't like cilantro because it tastes like soap.

Olive oil I love. I use a ton of that stuff.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2021, 11:14:04 AM »
I love sardines. I can't taste a sardine without rembering a glorious lunch of sardines, crackers, and cheese with an apple for desert on the side of a mountain in Utah while bowhunting for elk at the tree line.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2021, 11:59:23 AM »
"I can't taste a sardine without rembering a glorious lunch of sardines, crackers, and cheese"

A modified ploughman's lunch.

*expletive deleted*it, all this talk about sardines... I need to get a couple of tins.

Oh, and sardines in olive oil and triple cream brie on slices of crusty French bread?

Absolutely incredible.

Great... now I need to stop at the store and get a bunch of stuff.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2021, 12:02:53 PM »
Oh, and believe it or not, sardines on top of sunny side up or over easy eggs is also quite good.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2021, 12:03:34 PM »
Oh, and believe it or not, sardines on top of sunny side up or over easy eggs is also quite good.

I use kippers for that

Uranus is a gas giant.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2021, 12:21:29 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2021, 01:25:21 PM »

Oddly enough, most olives taste like soap to me when I eat them. I guess it's like people who don't like cilantro because it tastes like soap.

Love olives, all kinds. Can't stand cilantro
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2021, 02:29:23 PM »
Whereas I can't stand olives but I love cilantro.

Oddly enough, I also love anchovies and capers.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2021, 05:49:51 PM »
I like kippers a lot, sometimes sardines. [snip] I really liked canned smoked oysters... [snip]

Preach it brother!
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2021, 05:57:44 PM »

One thing I would surmise, is that when they say extra virgin olive oil on the sardines, it probably actually is.  From what I've read about olive oil, genuinely unadulterated (extra virgin) olive oil is about as hard to find as rattlesnake feathers. One of the problems, as I understand it, is there aren't any definitive industry-standard analytic tests to discriminate the added oils (cottonseed, rapeseed, etc).  The testing, I understand, has to be done by taste testers.
 would be heaven, and we all know this ain't heaven.

Terry, 230RN

US olive oil standards.

https://www.ams.usda.gov/grades-standards/olive-oil-and-olive-pomace-oil-grades-and-standards
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2021, 07:57:50 AM »

Hmmm... "good," you say. This will be subject to review based on the fact that you have funny taste buds in re olives.  Hmmmm.