Author Topic: Hot sauce  (Read 2833 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Hot sauce
« on: April 28, 2021, 09:20:29 PM »
So, there's a pub I eat at way too much.

And they do Taco Tuesdays, and grilled brats during games, and... They had Cholula, and Chipotle Tabasco, and that stuff...

I took in a bottle of Mexican Valentina hot sauce.

It's now known as "Mexican Ketchup."

Not too hot, mild burn, damn fine taste. Makes the customers drink.
Blog under construction

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Hot sauce
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 11:54:23 PM »
I have both Valentina and Cholula in the fridge.  Each is good stuff.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 08:54:05 AM »
My local taco place has a salsa bar that has a few creamy salsa's that are amazing.

In my search for how they make it I came across the secret, homogenization in the blender.

Here is a good recipe to either make or use as a base.

https://yes-moreplease.com/2014/07/jalapeno-creamy-sauce-green-stuff/

Both Valentina and Cholula are solid choices.

When I serviced industrial ice machines I took care of refrigeration equipment at a commissary for "roach coaches", the food trucks you see at construction sites. Nearly all the trucks were run by Mexicans or American/Mexicans. Valentina was always on the trucks.

Tapatio is pretty good also.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 10:06:12 AM »
Hands down my favorite hot sauce is Louisiana.

Not too terribly hot but SUPER flavorful.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 10:33:48 AM »
Hands down my favorite hot sauce is Louisiana.

Not too terribly hot but SUPER flavorful.

I like Crystal slightly better, but I prefer the Louisiana style of hot sauce.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 10:43:28 AM »
I tried Crystal some years ago and did NOT like it at all.

Tasted quite off to me.

Figured it might be me, tried it again a couple of years later and I still didn't like it. At all.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2021, 10:47:10 AM »
My local taco place has a salsa bar that has a few creamy salsa's that are amazing.

In my search for how they make it I came across the secret, homogenization in the blender.

Here is a good recipe to either make or use as a base.

https://yes-moreplease.com/2014/07/jalapeno-creamy-sauce-green-stuff/

Both Valentina and Cholula are solid choices.

When I serviced industrial ice machines I took care of refrigeration equipment at a commissary for "roach coaches", the food trucks you see at construction sites. Nearly all the trucks were run by Mexicans or American/Mexicans. Valentina was always on the trucks.

Tapatio is pretty good also.

Thanks for posting that.  I already knew how to make it (although I don't add onions) but had forgotten about it.
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2021, 10:48:59 AM »
I tried Crystal some years ago and did NOT like it at all.

Tasted quite off to me.

Figured it might be me, tried it again a couple of years later and I still didn't like it. At all.

Texas Pete's is another one you should try, I was skeptical since it is made in North Carolina, but I have a bottle in the fridge and backup in the pantry. It's a Louisiana style hot sauce.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2021, 12:42:39 PM »
Tapatio and Texas Pete are popular sauces in restaurants in this area.  Both are pretty tasty.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2021, 12:52:59 PM »
I have a bottle of Texas Pete in my fridge. It's my go to when I run out of Louisiana. It's not bad. Same with Frank's.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2021, 12:59:26 PM »
Just in case anyone is wondering about when I'm saying Louisiana, in this case it's both the style of sauce AND the name of a specific sauce: https://www.louisiana-brand.com/

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2021, 02:44:23 PM »
Thanks for posting that.  I already knew how to make it (although I don't add onions) but had forgotten about it.

If you are feeling lazy, the base recipe works for you and you have a Traders Joe near you, they sell a house brand version now. I think they just call it Creamy Jalapeno Sauce. It's pretty good.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2021, 10:05:00 AM »
I can't do really hot hot sauce anymore. Chalula has been my go to for years, mainly for breakfast.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2021, 11:10:42 AM »
If you are feeling lazy, the base recipe works for you and you have a Traders Joe near you, they sell a house brand version now. I think they just call it Creamy Jalapeno Sauce. It's pretty good.

I don't boil the jalapenos, I steam them.  I'll throw in a piece of onion next time; maybe a green onion.  (next time will be very soon, probably this weekend)
"It's good, though..."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2021, 12:12:30 PM »
I can't do really hot hot sauce anymore. Chalula has been my go to for years, mainly for breakfast.

Same for me. I go through about one bottle a month.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2021, 12:15:21 PM »
I've really never been able to do the nuclear face melt sauces. I don't like Tabasco brand for that reason... it's far too hot. Worse, it's all head an no real flavor. That's why I like Louisiana. It's not as hot, but it has TONS more flavor.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2021, 08:51:32 AM »
Ate in a local Mexican restaurant last week and experienced a new to me hot sauce.
El yucateco black habernero. I’ve had el yucco green and red but the black label was a new one to me. Quite hot, which I like but Smokey and black peppery lots of flavor with the heat.
I have a bottle of ghost pepper sauce. All heat sensation and can’t taste anything.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2021, 09:00:08 AM »
Tabasco tastes like chow in the field.
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2021, 09:39:03 AM »
Was watching a Phillies-Braves game on TV the other night and one of the behind home plate ads on the screens they have was for Louisiana Hot Sauce.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2021, 02:25:39 PM »
My go to hot sauce for years has been La Victoria Salsa Brava. I really need to explore some other options. :)

bob

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2021, 08:08:33 PM »
I have several around here from mexican to chinese. But like normal i have franks on my chicken right now. I put that *expletive deleted*it on everything.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2021, 10:11:11 PM »
I have just decided to get the giant bottle of Cholula so I don't run out at work. Something with my metabolism/inflammation/sugar problems really responds to hot sauce. So relaxing, I learned it years ago that the key to not murdering my co-workers was eggs covered in hot sauce. Handful of dry paprika used to do the trick too.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2021, 09:03:45 AM »
Texas Pete's is another one you should try...

Every time I eat at Chick-fil-a.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2021, 01:28:27 AM »
Kicking myself for not getting a case of quarts of the Valentina when they had it at a local bargain grocery for $1.75/quart...
Blog under construction

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2021, 08:45:35 AM »
Texas Pete's is another one you should try, I was skeptical since it is made in North Carolina, but I have a bottle in the fridge and backup in the pantry. It's a Louisiana style hot sauce.

Texas Pete is my go to hot sauce I’m not about overly spicy and I like it better than Tabasco sauce. I keep a small bottle in my lunch box.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!