Author Topic: Real DUH article...  (Read 1590 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Real DUH article...
« on: May 24, 2021, 08:27:46 AM »
Who couldn't figure out that hot dogs cook over an open fire or on a grill give the best tasting, most satisfying dog?

https://food52.com/blog/26206-how-to-cook-hot-dogs?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Still, the slow cooker method is interesting... I wonder how slow cooker with beer would be?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Real DUH article...
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 11:58:07 AM »

Still, the slow cooker method is interesting... I wonder how slow cooker with beer would be?

Excellent. Stinks the place up something fierce, but excellent.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 12:09:14 PM »
Excellent. Stinks the place up something fierce, but excellent.

Brad

Upper Midwesterners been doing it for years with brats and onions. Smells awesome!
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 12:26:56 PM »
I've done brats in beer many times over the years, but never in a slow cooker, always on the stove.

However, If you're worried about the beer smell, I bet this would be a great application for sous vide... Dogs/brats in the bag, shake most of the fizz out of the beer and add it, and throw it into the sous vide bath for however long.

Finish on the grill?

Hell yeah!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 12:29:51 PM »
Not for dogs, but when I pick up the fresh German sausage from the German store here (the couple that owns it make all the sausage on-site), I almost always do the beer boil.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2021, 12:32:03 PM »
I've done brats in beer many times over the years, but never in a slow cooker, always on the stove.

However, If you're worried about the beer smell, I bet this would be a great application for sous vide... Dogs/brats in the bag, shake most of the fizz out of the beer and add it, and throw it into the sous vide bath for however long.

Finish on the grill?

Hell yeah!

2 ways to do beer brats... boil raw brats in onions and beer, then grill

or grill raw brats, grill half way cooked and finish simmering in onions and beer.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

griz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2021, 12:35:29 PM »
All the research I've done over the years and I never thought to get somebody to fund the effort!!!

By the way, hot dogs in an air fryer are pretty close to on the grill.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2021, 01:02:36 PM »
"y the way, hot dogs in an air fryer are pretty close to on the grill."

Damn... I've got to try that with my air fryer. I never thought about that!

Hopefully it would work with my preferred hot dog of choice these days -- Ball Park's 100% white meat turkey frank. They have 0 fat, so I may need to give them a light coating of olive oil or something.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2021, 03:28:10 PM »
Just wrap those things in bacon. Put in air fryer until bacon is crispy, unwrap and eat the bacon and fed the turkey dogs to the dog.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2021, 03:34:27 PM »
Just wrap those things in bacon. Put in air fryer until bacon is crispy, unwrap and eat the bacon and fed the turkey dogs to the dog.

That sounds an awful lot like the tip to use oil or butter in your skillet when sauteing kale. That way it slides into the trash can easier when done cooking. ;)

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2021, 09:09:27 AM »

Generally I would agree with you, as most poultry dogs are absolutely gross.

However, the Ball Park all turkey franks are quite good. Not as good as a really good beef or pork dog, but a LOT better than some of the beef or pork dogs that I have had in the past.

They have a mild smokey flavor, they have a good texture, and best of all, they're 0 fat and only 45 calories per dog.

I can have 3 of them for less than half the calories of a Ball Park all beef dog. And that, to me, is one hell of a winning proposition as I work on bringing my weight down.