Author Topic: Another "Journalist" Fires an AR-15  (Read 1910 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Another "Journalist" Fires an AR-15
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2021, 10:01:21 PM »

https://youtu.be/-kNZsrlct9s

She really did. At 0:18 she actually said, "Okay, now I'm going to go full semi-auto." Her parents are definitely raising her  properly.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2021, 10:02:16 PM »
Next time give He-Man a short barrel AR or better yet a short barrel PSL with a brake in an indoor range next to the wall.

Or a Mosin-Nagant carbine in 7.62x54R

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2021, 10:04:35 PM »
I wonder how many of them are pussies and how many of them are just writing crap like that for the liberal target audience?

The two are not mutually exclusive.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2021, 10:09:06 PM »

Mosin carbines are 20", no brake.
Seen cut down PSLs (7.62x54R) with 14" barrels with the original brake welded back on to meet legal length. Out doors they will give you sinus headaches, indoors........
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2021, 11:29:33 PM »

There was some czech or other eastern euro crap that was marked yellow. Heavy ball i think it was. Heavy fireball more like it. Awful to shoot indoors. For ARs the AK brakes that were a fad twenty years ago made things off to the side rather abusive.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2021, 11:38:55 PM »
I make muzzle brakes. I figure he had a hella fireball and a lot of concussion, but damn little recoil.

I'd also like to see him shoot a 10.5 pound competition benchrest rifle - we would usually shoot them free recoil. Shooting "only" a 6mm 68 grain bullet moving at 3,420 fps... Yeah it hits your shoulder. If the little ladies can do that, so  can you.
Blog under construction

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2021, 12:54:42 AM »
Good point. In the original article, he's the one who said it was an AR, but he also said it was a $3500 gun. Either or both of those could be incorrect. Not that you can't find a $3500 AR, but I'd expect them to give a new guy an M&P 15 or something.

He said it was an HK.  I think you can get an MR556A1 up to $3500, but it'd be a stretch.  HK doesn't have all that many AR15 type rifles on their website, and the only one with a scope is 7.62. ( https://hk-usa.com/product/rifles/ )  A 16.5" barreled 7.62 inside is probably pretty loud.  I've never touched of one of mine in an indoor range.

Also, as I mentioned, he said in the article that he paid $59.99 for 60 rounds of rifle ammo.  While I've seen 5.56 that expensive, I could see that being range sold 7.62 as well.

I suspect the subtleties of AR15 type vs. AR10 type would be lost on the author.

ETA:  Nope, I stand corrected.  A google search shows me that the going rate for an HK MR556A1 with flip up sights is $3499.    Fuuuuuuck.  I don't know which is worse, HK thinking their knockoff AR is worth $3500, or the HK fanbois that pay that *expletive deleted*it.  But that's almost certainly what they handed the reporter from the available evidence.  So he was that stressed from a 16" 5.56 with a flash suppressor.  [shakes head]  For anyone that wants to know, an HK AR10 is $6700 and comes with a Leupold 3-9 VX-R Patrol.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2021, 06:58:43 AM »
Who was that idiot a couple of years ago who cried about getting PTSD from firing an AR-15?

Made him the laughing stock of the internet for a couple of months...

YOU WEREN'T THERE, MAN! YOU WEREN'T THERE!

Ah! Gersh Kuntzman. Aka weiner wussy boy.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2021, 09:41:48 AM »
I still remember years ago the day I spent at the range as a new shooter, shooting untold rounds through my buddies Garand.

I'm fine with the pop pop pop of an AR.

Shooting classic battle rifles was an eye opener.

I'm pretty decent size guy but I'm just not a fan of recoil. 
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2021, 09:55:41 AM »
I still remember years ago the day I spent at the range as a new shooter, shooting untold rounds through my buddies Garand.

I'm fine with the pop pop pop of an AR.

Shooting classic battle rifles was an eye opener.

I'm pretty decent size guy but I'm just not a fan of recoil.

I'm wimpy about plenty of stuff, but I've never had an issue with recoil. I haven't shot ginormous rounds, but 12ga 3.5", .300mag, .338mag, and similar have never really bothered me. Maybe my shoulder shape is just right to absorb recoil.

Of course I haven't fired the .577 T-Rex yet.  =D

https://youtu.be/-EVqT3XEzss

(and yes, I know the video shows untrained people and people exaggerating the recoil)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2021, 10:00:38 AM »
I'm wimpy about plenty of stuff, but I've never had an issue with recoil. I haven't shot ginormous rounds, but 12ga 3.5", .300mag, .338mag, and similar have never really bothered me. Maybe my shoulder shape is just right to absorb recoil.

Of course I haven't fired the .577 T-Rex yet.  =D

https://youtu.be/-EVqT3XEzss

(and yes, I know the video shows untrained people and people exaggerating the recoil)

I almost posted that video.
But yeah, there's another version of that video where at the end someone who knows how to hold a high power rifle properly makes it look like he's shooting a Cricket 22 in comparison.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2021, 10:13:03 AM »
I almost posted that video.
But yeah, there's another version of that video where at the end someone who knows how to hold a high power rifle properly makes it look like he's shooting a Cricket 22 in comparison.

I don't know what the background is regarding all the arabs shooting it, but if you look past the shooting and watch their forms, most of these guys are either leaning back, or else they're holding the rifle with noodle arms, or both, setting themselves up to lose control. It's almost like those videos of the crappy boyfriends getting their girlfriends to shoot a pistol grip 12 gauge.

https://youtu.be/vwHs4DtQU3I
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2021, 10:27:25 AM »
It's almost like those videos of the crappy boyfriends getting their girlfriends to shoot a pistol grip 12 gauge.

https://youtu.be/vwHs4DtQU3I

Remember, it's wrong to beat your wife. That's why you let your guns do it for you.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2021, 10:39:17 AM »
577 Tyrannosaur

750 gr (49 g) Monolithic solid    2,480 ft/s (760 m/s)    10,240 ft⋅lbf (13,880 J)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.577_Tyrannosaur

For comparison

Bullet mass/type    Velocity    Energy
36 gr (2 g) JHP    3,750 ft/s (1,140 m/s)    959 ft⋅lbf (1,300 J)
55 gr (4 g) Nosler ballistic tip    3,240 ft/s (990 m/s)    1,265 ft⋅lbf (1,715 J)
60 gr (4 g) Nosler partition    3,160 ft/s (960 m/s)    1,325 ft⋅lbf (1,796 J)
69 gr (4 g) BTHP    2,950 ft/s (900 m/s)    1,338 ft⋅lbf (1,814 J)
77 gr (5 g) BTHP    2,750 ft/s (840 m/s)    1,301 ft⋅lb

Bullet mass/type    Velocity    Energy
125 gr (8 g) Spitzer    3,100 ft/s (940 m/s)    2,668 ft⋅lbf (3,617 J)
150 gr (10 g) Nosler tip    2,820 ft/s (860 m/s)    2,648 ft⋅lbf (3,590 J)
168 gr (11 g) BTHP    2,650 ft/s (810 m/s)    2,619 ft⋅lbf (3,551 J)
175 gr (11 g) BTHP    2,645 ft/s (806 m/s)    2,718 ft⋅lbf (3,685 J)
185 gr (12 g) Lapua Mega JSP    2,510 ft/s (770 m/s)    2,588 ft⋅lbf (3,509 J)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 11:03:57 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2021, 01:32:20 PM »
Though the Air Force has done away with annual rifle qual, my base used to have a Security Forces "augmentee" program, as well as being nice enough to invite anyone to come to the range with SF if they have lanes available.  Most of these Air Guard weirdos won't even go to the range when the ammo is free!  So I've qualified almost every year regardless.

Anyway, I've seen plenty of women who were 100 lbs soaking wet qualify with the M4, no problem.  This includes the burst fire portion at the end.  As for me, a few rounds of 3" 12-gauge is enough to get my attention, or a whole day out with .308.   The most recoil I've experienced was a lightweight Savage .30-06.  That hurt.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2021, 02:28:35 PM »
Anyway, I've seen plenty of women who were 100 lbs soaking wet qualify with the M4, no problem.
Wet t-shirt qualifications?  Surprised you didn't get #MeToo'ed.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2021, 02:42:07 PM »
My Dad gave me his old Interarms 300 Win Mag.  That has some kick.  I got a muzzle brake added.  No significant recoil, but the muzzle blast was just nuts.  Not sure if I want to pay someone to re-barrel it.  It never was accurate enough to justify the cost of shooting it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2021, 02:58:21 PM »
My worst recoil experience, hands down, was a .505 Gibbs.  It was awful. It didn't fit me particularly well, which doubtless made a lot of recoil a LOT worse.

By comparison the .470 Ferlach was a relative pussycat.

Nearly as bad as the Gibbs was a 12 gauge slug out of my Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight. But that one I just threw the shotgun to my shoulder and pulled the trigger. Didn't get any sort of weld or mount, and I paid for it.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2021, 03:53:44 PM »
Just reading about these big boomers makes my shoulder hurt.
I can manage .22 rf right handed but anything more energetic is right out.
I'm not even real confident about left handed shooting because I can't get my right hand/arm under the rifle for proper support.  I've got a lead sled but not practical for hunting. Need to look into a monopoly or bipod setup.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2021, 04:29:24 PM »
Wet t-shirt qualifications?  Surprised you didn't get #MeToo'ed.

It's the 21st Century, the guys compete too.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!