Author Topic: Place your bets: will the Olympics be cancelled?  (Read 4910 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Place your bets: will the Olympics be cancelled?
« on: May 25, 2021, 10:17:24 AM »
https://apnews.com/article/japan-coronavirus-pandemic-business-olympic-games-2020-tokyo-olympics-72cc0b10127e8bab06406a6ec6bcedd6

The latest COVID surge in Japan is happening at a bad time. I wonder if the Olympics will be cancelled.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Pb

• friend
Re: Place your bets: will the Olympics be cancelled?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 10:38:17 AM »
We can only hope.

They are a horribly crooked waste of tax dollars that give monstrous nations opportunities to showboat with drugged slaves.

But that's just my opinion.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 02:22:35 PM »
Put me down for $50 on "I do not give even the smallest of shits."
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 02:40:19 PM »
been a long, long time since I cared about the Olympics
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 02:42:37 PM »
I would say if it is not cancelled, then brace yourself for a nationwide mask mandate from the Executive Branch. Mostly due to participants, media, and spectators bringing whatever Covid strain is raging in Japan back home with them.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 05:21:13 PM »
Put me down for $50 on "I do not give even the smallest of shits."

I want in on that action. I can't even remember the last time I watched or cared about the Olympics. I'm pretty sure my teen years. For all I know there's a gold medal for stand up paddleboarding now.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 05:27:42 PM »
I gave up on the Olympics when they opened them up to professional athletes. It's not a level playing field when you have amateurs trying to play basketball against the best of the NBA, for example.

Now, if Kareen Adbul Jabar wanted to compete in Olympic table tennis or bobsledding, I wouldn't object to that. But to compete in the sport that he gets paid to play, and has the most elite coaching and training available? No way.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2021, 05:30:35 PM »
Surprised they haven't started giving every participant a gold metal yet
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2021, 05:48:21 PM »
Surprised they haven't started giving every participant a gold metal yet
Then it would be a fool's gold medal.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2021, 05:52:14 PM »
I think it will be cancelled...probably will be cancelled next year and Japan will have flushed all the money down the drain with nothing to show for it.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2021, 06:18:07 PM »
Nothing should be canceled for covid ever again, anywhere the in the world. That stupid, Chinese plague has caused enough damage.

OK, I guess I could make an exception, if we're cancelling the CCP.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2021, 06:40:18 AM »
I want in on that action. I can't even remember the last time I watched or cared about the Olympics. I'm pretty sure my teen years. For all I know there's a gold medal for stand up paddleboarding now.

I do like watching the winter Olympics, but summer? Bleh.

I love the ski jumping and downhill skiing, bob sled, luge, hockey, and yes, I've even been known to watch the figure skating and ice dancing.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2021, 08:57:31 AM »
I cared more about the Olympics during the height of the Cold War when it was a proxy for the West vs. the Warsaw Pact. Yay America, Boo Soviet Union, etc.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2021, 09:08:12 AM »
I do like watching the winter Olympics, but summer? Bleh.

I love the ski jumping and downhill skiing, bob sled, luge, hockey, and yes, I've even been known to watch the figure skating and ice dancing.

That was big in my house when I was a kid. My parents were into the Winter Olympics and it was a family thing to watch them. I remember my mom always rooting for the US and my dad rooting for the krauts.  :laugh:

It seems to me the Olympics have turned into something closer to that "Circus of the Stars" thing that used to be on the teevee.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2021, 09:42:58 AM »
I cared more about the Olympics during the height of the Cold War when it was a proxy for the West vs. the Warsaw Pact. Yay America, Boo Soviet Union, etc.

Bingo. Who doesn't remember where they were when word came out that Team USA beat the commies at Lake Placid in 1980?

zahc

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2021, 10:24:57 AM »
I gave up on the Olympics when they opened them up to professional athletes. It's not a level playing field when you have amateurs trying to play basketball against the best of the NBA, for example.

Now, if Kareen Adbul Jabar wanted to compete in Olympic table tennis or bobsledding, I wouldn't object to that. But to compete in the sport that he gets paid to play, and has the most elite coaching and training available? No way.

I don't really understand this argument. You can be good at a sport, but just not too good? I thought it was about watching the world's best athletes. Coaching and practice and all.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2021, 02:31:40 PM »
I don't really understand this argument. You can be good at a sport, but just not too good? I thought it was about watching the world's best athletes. Coaching and practice and all.

I suspect you are from a younger generation. Throughout my youth, the Olympics were touted as being a competition among the world's best amateur athletes. That was pretty much hard-wired into my mental circuitry so that's my default but, even when I reflect onit as objectively as I can, I still think it should be that way.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2021, 02:35:31 PM »
I suspect you are from a younger generation. Throughout my youth, the Olympics were touted as being a competition among the world's best amateur athletes. That was pretty much hard-wired into my mental circuitry so that's my default but, even when I reflect onit as objectively as I can, I still think it should be that way.

How young? Even before my day, there were controversies over the Russian teams who were obviously boosted, funded and selected by the government. If it was ever amateur, it must have been generations ago.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2021, 06:04:38 PM »
It seems to me the Olympics have turned into something closer to that "Circus of the Stars" thing that used to be on the teevee.

I don't know who did it first, but they seem to be introducing the athletes like reality TV characters. (Or vice-versa). They like to find some personal tragedy in the athlete's past, to make you root for them. It's syrupy drama all the way down.

Yuck.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2021, 07:43:42 PM »
Did you know about the virtual Olympic events that are happening right now?

“The Olympic Virtual Series is a new, unique Olympic digital experience that aims to grow direct engagement with new audiences in the field of virtual sports. Its conception is in line with Olympic Agenda 2020+5 and the IOC’s digital strategy. It encourages sports participation and promotes the Olympic values with a special focus on youth," says IOC President Thomas Bach.

Virtual.  As in video games.

These are the events:  Baseball, rowing, sailing, cycling, and motorsport.  All video games.

https://olympics.com/en/video/olympic-virtual-series
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2021, 09:31:28 PM »
I was only ever interested in the Biathlon and sometimes skating.  The Biathlon because it combined shooting and skiing, which was is sort of like an actual hunter-gatherer activity.

But I wonder how good a cheek weld you can get with a mask on.  Is it like shooting with a beard?  Does it fog up your shooting glasses?

Skating...? Just wished I could do it like they did.  To me it was mostly when the creek froze over and the ice was pretty rough.  I got skates for Wife1 and the oldest boy but they weren't as interested in it as I was.

I also remember the Olympics mainly as an Eastern bloc versus a Western bloc kind of chest-bumping, and later on, the testing of some of the women to check their genders.

To me, most of the contests involved rather artificial made-up tests of skills, like the hurdles... and sort of just as dumb as the Sottish caber toss.

Oops!  I'll bet I triggered all the caber toss and hurdle apologists.

Holy crap, look out, prey animal or deadly enemy, I'm about to throw a huge hunka wood at your sorry ass !

https://youtu.be/xb0FU8rSisU

:)

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 10:40:07 PM by 230RN »

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2021, 09:35:25 PM »
Shooting is still an Olympic sport.  Air gun, skeet, trap, and rimfire are still events. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2021, 10:37:07 PM »
Shooting is still an Olympic sport.  Air gun, skeet, trap, and rimfire are still events.

Yes but it's a cold day in hell if they ever get any air time on US TV/news.
 :mad:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2021, 10:45:24 PM »
Yes but it's a cold day in hell if they ever get any air time on US TV/news.
 :mad:

Exactly.  Pussies rule. 

Fly320s, I changed the tense of the remark about the Biathlon. I hoped to imply that my interest was past tense, not that the event was in the past.

Every writer needs an editor to spot stuff like that.

Muchas Danke.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2021, 12:18:43 AM »
Did you know about the virtual Olympic events that are happening right now?

Virtual.  As in video games.

These are the events:  Baseball, rowing, sailing, cycling, and motorsport.  All video games.

https://olympics.com/en/video/olympic-virtual-series

I think a better concept for "virtual" Olympics would be distributed site events. If you want to enter to 100-meter dash, for example, you find some local college with standardized timing equipment, get three (or five) recognized coaches or officials to stand around and watch, and you go out and run a 100-meter dash. The officials solemnize your time, it gets submitted to the IOC, and on the appointed date all the results submitted from around the world get ranked and the top three get their medals by FedEx Express.