Author Topic: Place your bets: will the Olympics be cancelled?  (Read 4915 times)

Jim147

• friends
Re: Place your bets: will the Olympics be cancelled?
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2021, 12:45:22 AM »
Yes but it's a cold day in hell if they ever get any air time on US TV/news.
 :mad:

Not sure on this one but the shooting sports have always been on cable in the middle of the night. Insomnia has its perks.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2021, 03:52:43 AM »
Shooting is still an Olympic sport.  Air gun, skeet, trap, and rimfire are still events.

I thought they had finally replaced rimfire with air guns.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2021, 06:27:11 AM »
I thought they had finally replaced rimfire with air guns.

Not sure.  The official site shows events titled "air gun" and also events titled "pistol" and "rifle."   https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/en/schedule/shooting-schedule

Edit:  Yes, .22LRs are used in the other events.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISSF_25_meter_rapid_fire_pistol
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2021, 06:27:49 AM »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2021, 07:02:17 AM »
The Olympics are a political gathering with many events that don't even qualify as "sports" IMHO because the winner is not picked objectively and the judging has often been obviously rigged.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2021, 09:55:18 AM »
The Olympics are a political gathering with many events that don't even qualify as "sports" IMHO because the winner is not picked objectively and the judging has often been obviously rigged.

Well, objectivity is sometimes hard to get in an esthetic setting.  In a sense, the only "objectivity" is in the volume of audience reaction.

And here's an obviously athletic event where the only objectivity is in the applause.  (This is only a public practice event, where you can make mistakes and figure out how to correct them.)

https://youtu.be/ZLF23KLHUE8  (4:18)

Well, four out of five ain't bad. 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 10:12:23 AM by 230RN »

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2021, 11:03:28 AM »
Bingo. Who doesn't remember where they were when word came out that Team USA beat the commies at Lake Placid in 1980?

I lived 50 miles from there in 1980 and didn't care about the Olympics back then, and still don't.  I wouldn't even know they still have them if you folks hadn't brought it up.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2021, 11:42:38 AM »

@ Fly320s: =D

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2021, 11:54:21 AM »
I lived 50 miles from there in 1980 and didn't care about the Olympics back then, and still don't.  I wouldn't even know they still have them if you folks hadn't brought it up.

The whole Team USA vs Team Russia was about so much more than the Olympics.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2021, 10:17:58 AM »
The whole Team USA vs Team Russia was about so much more than the Olympics.

What was so important other than the usual USA vs the world garbage that went on back then?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2021, 06:52:11 AM »
Really?

You don't remember the tenor of the American political and social climate through the 1970s and into 1980?

Watergate, inflation, screamingly high interest rates, the Iran Hostage Crisis, Russian invasion of Afghanistan, oil embargos, the list of why the 1970s sucked amazing amounts of ass goes on and on. And don't forget Jimmy Carter, lines for free government cheese, generic products in those black and white boxes, the collapse of any number of American industries...

I was a kid in the 1970s and I recognized just how badly things sucked morale wise in this country, just how badly battered the American psyche was.

And through it all was an increasingly strident undercurrent of "The USA is finished as an economic and international influencer/power! The Soviets are ascending, the US is in decline, and that will never change!" There was a feature article in Time Magazine around this time explaining that in excruciating detail, IIRC by one of Time's resident communists.

As a geo-political statement the USA vs Russia hockey match was a non factor, but it gave people something feel good to latch on to coming out of decade in which the best news was typically "nothing too terrible happened today."
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 08:19:57 AM by K Frame »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2021, 07:11:43 AM »
You left out that a new ice age was starting.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2021, 08:14:28 AM »
I also left out the Vietnam experience.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2021, 09:09:12 AM »
Really?

You don't remember the tenor of the American political and social climate through the 1970s and into 1980?

Watergate, inflation, screamingly high interest rates, the Iran Hostage Crisis, Russian invasion of Afghanistan, oil embargos, the list of why the 1970s sucked amazing amounts of ass goes on and on. And don't forget Jimmy Carter, lines for free government cheese, generic products in those black and white boxes, the collapse of any number of American industries...

I was a kid in the 1970s and I recognized just how badly things sucked morale wise in this country, just how badly battered the American psyche was.

And through it all was an increasingly strident undercurrent of "The USA is finished as an economic and international influencer/power! The Soviets are ascending, the US is in decline, and that will never change!" There was a feature article in Time Magazine around this time explaining that in excruciating detail, IIRC by one of Time's resident communists.

As a geo-political statement the USA vs Russia hockey match was a non factor, but it gave people something feel good to latch on to coming out of decade in which the best news was typically "nothing too terrible happened today."

Basically, Bread and Circuses.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2021, 09:21:37 AM »
No. Not even close.

If anything, the 1970s were ANTI bread and circuses because, if anything, the gub was making things worse under Carter.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2021, 10:27:05 AM »
I also left out the Vietnam experience.

I lived the Viet Nam experience.  I was discharged from the hospital on April 10, 1970 and got my medical discharge on May 25, 1970 in the mail.  I was still learning to walk again, going to college in a small town in upstate NY and generally just trying to live again.  Not much of the stuff you listed meant much to me, and still doesn't.  I live a quiet, out of the limelight life, and try to just get by.  I learned early on that the US was not a democracy so I don't expect much good to come out of what the .gov does and sure as hell don't trust what they do.  I haven't seen much difference between 1970 and 2021 when it comes to how the .gov treats us as citizens, other than the extra layers of crap it dishes out.  Using other countries and what they do as an excuse, is just the smokescreen for what .gov is up to here.  911 and the Patriot Act is one good example of how they use a singular event to further encroach on our Constitutional rights and civil liberties, and as a justification for disrupting life in other countries, just like they did in Viet Nam.  No I don't care if the Olympics are cancelled, or ever held again.  The real meaning of the Olympics was lost many generations ago and won't ever regain the dignity it once had.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2021, 11:17:45 AM »
What was so important other than the usual USA vs the world garbage that went on back then?

It wasn't the USA vs. the world, it was the USA vs. the USSR. Beyond that, that was in a time when the Olympics were still supposed to be an amateur competition. Team USA was made up of college kids -- team USSR was made up of a buch of guys who did nothing but play hockey. They were, for all intents and purposes (or, since this is the Internet, "for all intensive purposes"), professionals. So the American win was viewed as a triumph of "pure" amateur athletics over professionalism.

It wasn't very long after that the Olympics dropped the pretense that the competitors were all amateurs, since that had not been true for quite some time.

Quote from: Grandpa Shooter
The real meaning of the Olympics was lost many generations ago and won't ever regain the dignity it once had.

Agreed.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2021, 12:04:05 PM »
I lived the Viet Nam experience.  I was discharged from the hospital on April 10, 1970 and got my medical discharge on May 25, 1970 in the mail.  I was still learning to walk again, going to college in a small town in upstate NY and generally just trying to live again.  Not much of the stuff you listed meant much to me, and still doesn't.  I live a quiet, out of the limelight life, and try to just get by.  I learned early on that the US was not a democracy so I don't expect much good to come out of what the .gov does and sure as hell don't trust what they do.  I haven't seen much difference between 1970 and 2021 when it comes to how the .gov treats us as citizens, other than the extra layers of crap it dishes out.  Using other countries and what they do as an excuse, is just the smokescreen for what .gov is up to here.  911 and the Patriot Act is one good example of how they use a singular event to further encroach on our Constitutional rights and civil liberties, and as a justification for disrupting life in other countries, just like they did in Viet Nam.  No I don't care if the Olympics are cancelled, or ever held again.  The real meaning of the Olympics was lost many generations ago and won't ever regain the dignity it once had.

You wanted an answer, I gave you one. Whether it applies to your personal experience or not, I can't say.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2021, 12:58:33 PM »
Well, I went to college with Lones Wigger's kid - and I didn't really know who he was until the 1990s... Got to meet him once at a rimfire match. And call it what you will, but position shooting is NOT an easy game.

The olympics is a chance for diplomacy. And a chance to show off. With the strength/skill events, it is the peak of athletics. Stuff like gymnastics and figure skating? Meh - has to be something for the ladies...
Blog under construction

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2021, 01:33:55 PM »

The olympics is a chance for diplomacy. And a chance to show off. With the strength/skill events, it is the peak of athletics. Stuff like gymnastics and figure skating? Meh - has to be something for the ladies...

It won't be for the ladies for long if the IOC goes full woke on allowing transvestite men to compete as "women."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2021, 02:24:07 PM »
I met Lones multiple times over the years when I was with American Rifleman.

He was an OK guy once you got to know him a bit.

His daughter, Deena? Complete and total beoch...

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2021, 02:55:08 PM »
I knew Danny... Eastern Kentucky University. Scott Rupp was there at the same time.
Blog under construction

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2021, 03:50:04 PM »
My favorite Olympic sport is biathlon in the Winter Olympics.  I cross-country ski, and I shoot, so I have a good sense of how difficult it must be to ski at high speed and then try to hit a target with your heart rate in the stratosphere. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2021, 08:23:39 AM »
I knew Danny... Eastern Kentucky University. Scott Rupp was there at the same time.

I replaced Rupp as associate editor of American Rifleman when he moved on to the Pennsylvania Game News.

I never met either of Wigger's sons, but as I said, his daughter was a bitch.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2021, 09:00:47 AM »
My favorite Olympic sport is biathlon in the Winter Olympics.  I cross-country ski, and I shoot, so I have a good sense of how difficult it must be to ski at high speed and then try to hit a target with your heart rate in the stratosphere. 

Ditto.  Hunter-gatherer kind of stuff.

As opposed to the caber toss (not Olympic, but my favorite example of pointless contesting.  I can pee further than you, nyah-nyahhh.)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 09:14:50 AM by 230RN »