Author Topic: What Do You Like About Being White?  (Read 2524 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
What Do You Like About Being White?
« on: May 26, 2021, 10:34:46 AM »
I've always thought that this Marc Lamont Hill guy was a horse's ass, but his not well thought out question brings to light much of the current racism against white people.

What do I like about being white? I wouldn't know how to answer that. I don't even know what it means. If you were to ask me what I like about my German heritage, I might tell you bratwurst and Oktoberfest girls, or Christmas traditions.

I don't know that there is anything I like or dislike about being white, because it is much too ambiguous of a container. That people like Hill lump everyone who is colored white into a single container is somewhat telling to me. The interviewee here seems to answer as well as anyone can.

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2021/05/26/christopher-rufo-expertly-fields-crt-proponent-marc-lamont-hills-what-do-you-like-about-being-white-question-video/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: What Do You Like About Being White?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 10:38:03 AM »
Well, first and foremost, it pisses off people like Hill.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 11:01:52 AM »
Never gave it any thought.  I am what I am.  I didn't get a choice.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 11:02:36 AM »
Stupid pointless question asked only as an attempt to make someone feel uncomfortable about themselves 
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 11:42:28 AM »
I like how it reduces the chance that I will be killed at a traffic stop.  :police:

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2021, 12:06:53 PM »
Tell you what I don't like about it...

I don't like that people assume I'm a racist because of my skin color.
I don't like people attributing my personal successes to my skin color.
I don't like people trying to shame me because of my skin color.

I don't like people judging me based on my skin color.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 12:10:43 PM »
I don't walk around thinking of myself as "white" or having "white heritage".  If I were to think of who I am, my thoughts would go to family, faith, etc.  I don't know what that really has to do with skin color beyond getting sunburned easily.  If I were to think about my ancestors or race, my thoughts would go to German ancestry or Texas/Southern culture. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2021, 12:41:26 PM »
I like being able to more easily get Vitamin D from the sun. Also the lactose tolerance.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 02:34:14 PM »
I like how it reduces the chance that I will be killed at a traffic stop.  :police:
Oh yes, I'm sure it the outcome is mostly due to skin color and not behavior.  It isn't the fact that you are polite and nonconfrontational during the stop that keeps you safe, it is your albedo.

It is interesting that Hill notes shared cultural norms as something he values about being black.  Is he trying to claim that black people have generally shared cultural norms?  I can say without hesitation that white people do not, and from my own observations there appear to be drastic differences in black cultural norms based on family history, region, religion, political affiliation, income, how recently their family immigrated - to name just a few factors.  You know, the same kinds of things that might influence cultural norms among white people.  It is almost like culture is not the same thing as skin color.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 03:35:28 PM »
Oh yes, I'm sure it the outcome is mostly due to skin color and not behavior.  It isn't the fact that you are polite and nonconfrontational during the stop that keeps you safe, it is your albedo.

I am sure that Duante Wright, Philando Castile, Walter Scott, and Sam DuBose agree with you.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2021, 03:39:56 PM »
It's not easy being white
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2021, 04:04:18 PM »
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2021, 04:36:55 PM »
Some people really hate being white

"Yes, all White people are racist in that all White people have been conditioned in a society where one's racial identity determines life experiences/outcomes and Whiteness is the norm and the default. That includes me!" read an all-caps Instagram post from Slater, who serves as assistant dean of student affairs.

She added in Saturday's post that while she doesn't "hate White people," she does hate "Whiteness."
https://www.foxnews.com/us/brandeis-kate-slater-white-people-racist-whiteness
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2021, 04:47:38 PM »
I am sure that Duante Wright, Philando Castile, Walter Scott, and Sam DuBose agree with you.
Aside from Philando Castile, none of those men were being polite and nonconfrontational - they were either actively fighting or attempting to escape arrest.  Right or wrong, plenty of white people get killed when they do the same kind of thing.  Dylan Noble, Andrew Thomas, Michael Parker, Loren Simpson, James Boyd, Jonathan Ayers, for instance.

No one doubts that there are questionable police shootings.  Some possibly legitimate but with bad optics, some "lawful but awful", some entirely negligent, some with every appearance of being criminal behavior by the police involved.  But instead of addressing the real issues questionable shootings raise of police training, officer selection, abuse of power, how everyone should behave when guns are involved in a stressful situation, etc., you ignore all details except the color of the decedents skin and instead offer only the simplistic presumption that when a black person is wrongly killed by police it must be because racism. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2021, 04:57:31 PM »
Some people really hate being white
https://www.foxnews.com/us/brandeis-kate-slater-white-people-racist-whiteness
Given her position, her whole career is tied up in that mess. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2021, 05:25:42 PM »
Aside from Philando Castile, none of those men were being polite and nonconfrontational - they were either actively fighting or attempting to escape arrest.  Right or wrong, plenty of white people get killed when they do the same kind of thing.  Dylan Noble, Andrew Thomas, Michael Parker, Loren Simpson, James Boyd, Jonathan Ayers, for instance.

No one doubts that there are questionable police shootings.  Some possibly legitimate but with bad optics, some "lawful but awful", some entirely negligent, some with every appearance of being criminal behavior by the police involved.  But instead of addressing the real issues questionable shootings raise of police training, officer selection, abuse of power, how everyone should behave when guns are involved in a stressful situation, etc., you ignore all details except the color of the decedents skin and instead offer only the simplistic presumption that when a black person is wrongly killed by police it must be because racism.

Suffice it to say that I disagree with your conclusion but clearly your mind is made up.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2021, 06:12:27 PM »
I like how it reduces the chance that I will be killed at a traffic stop:police:

Is this based on data, anecdote, opinion?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2021, 06:38:13 PM »
^^^There is ample data available on racial disparities on traffic stops and disproportionate response by police at traffic stops and other interactions.  In addition, from the anecdotal point of view, I have been interested to hear my Black work colleagues and social friends talk about this in recent years. The majority of our Black work and social circle are like my wife and I: educated, work in a professional job and are affluent.  As such, I would think that interactions with the police would be low on their list of concerns.  This is not necessarily the case, especially in regards to their children who borrow the Audi for a Friday night date.  I have heard many stories about 'driving while black' and negative experience with the police.  It has been an eye-opener for me because I have not been exposed to those same experiences. 

Is there racism within the 18,000 police forces in the USA? No doubt.  Is there racism in the healthcare system, which I do have experience with, absolutely.  How structural it is, and how entrenched it is, and what we can and should be doing about it is the question.  And to that, I don't have a lot of answers.  But I like to listen to a variety of viewpoints, educate myself about the issue, and think about what I can and should be doing about it.  I don't appreciate being thought of as racist simply because I am an older white male, but I can see how some people, due to their experiences or other knowledge, come to that conclusion.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2021, 07:42:56 PM »
I like that money is constantly falling from the sky into my pockets, and that I always get great parking.

Restaurants never mess up my order, nothing I own ever needs repairs, my lawn mows itself, and all my votes count double.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2021, 10:15:13 PM »
^^^There is ample data available on racial disparities on traffic stops and disproportionate response by police at traffic stops and other interactions.

Can you be more specific, especially in regards to unjustified killings due to race? What sources would I look to?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2021, 10:32:33 PM »
^^^You would get more results using search terms such as 'racial disparities in police use of force' or similar in Google Scholar.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2021, 10:39:15 PM »
Police do not kill black people disproportionately (whether justified or not).

Police are more likely to use "force" in an arrest of black people.

https://davis-center.williams.edu/files/2020/06/Police-Encounters-Race.pdf

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2021, 11:22:30 PM »
^^^You would get more results using search terms such as 'racial disparities in police use of force' or similar in Google Scholar.

I didn't ask for advice on how a search engine works. I asked why you, specifically, believe what you claimed. FWIW, it contradicts what I've heard from other sources. The ones that come to mind are Heather Mac Donald and Coleman Hughes.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2021, 12:00:59 AM »
Police do not kill black people disproportionately (whether justified or not).

Police are more likely to use "force" in an arrest of black people.

https://davis-center.williams.edu/files/2020/06/Police-Encounters-Race.pdf

Didn't make it past the second paragraph in the study:
Michael Brown, unarmed, was shot twelve times by a police officer in
Ferguson, Missouri, after Brown fit the description of a robbery suspect of a nearby store

They can't even be honest about the fact that Brown was shot after he attempted to do serious bodily injury to a cop.

Perhaps black suspects are more likely to resist arrest, necessitating the use of force.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2021, 12:28:22 AM »
Friend of mine that’s black has reported zero issues with police.  And it’s not like he’s an angel behind the wheel.  He also has a CCW and carries frequently.