Author Topic: What Do You Like About Being White?  (Read 2525 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: What Do You Like About Being White?
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2021, 09:07:24 AM »
I like being able to more easily get Vitamin D from the sun. Also the lactose tolerance.

Racist

‘Point blank period!’ Pale TikToker with black lipstick explains that tanning ‘is literally blackface’ (and don’t even try to change her mind) [video]
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2021/05/10/point-blank-period-pale-tiktoker-with-black-lipstick-explains-that-tanning-is-literally-blackface-and-dont-even-try-to-change-her-mind-video/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2021, 09:23:56 AM »
Who are these "white(s)" he is speaking about?

All Caucasians?

Do all Caucasians across the world have the same experience based solely on the color of their skin?

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2021, 09:34:53 AM »

All Caucasians?

Do all Caucasians across the world have the same experience based solely on the color of their skin?
She doesn't know.  She thinks she is defined by her skin color so she assumes everyone else is.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2021, 11:13:49 PM »
Michael Brown, unarmed, was shot twelve times by a police officer in
Ferguson, Missouri, after Brown fit the description of a robbery suspect of a nearby store
They can't even be honest about the fact that Brown was shot after he attempted to do serious bodily injury to a cop.

Perhaps black suspects are more likely to resist arrest, necessitating the use of force.

Don't forget the video from the store that showed Brown "strong-arming" the smaller Asian owner and shoving him aside so he could leave with his pilfered smokes.
AND, if he had just gotten his butt out of the middle of the road and back on the sidewalk like the cop asked him to do, he just might have lived through the night.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2021, 09:49:33 AM »

All Caucasians?

But enough about the Tsarnaev brothers...

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/07/sunday-review/has-caucasian-lost-its-meaning.html
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pb

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2021, 05:45:42 PM »
Caucasian is a perfectly good term.  Race is defined by skull shape, not skin color.  Caucasians may have dark skin or light skin- it does not matter.  There are many different groups of Caucasians from a huge variety of different cultures.  North Africans (including Egyptians), Europeans, Arabs, Persians, Turks, Indians- all are primarily Caucasian. The term "White" excludes darker skinned people who are still grouped in the same race anatomically, making it a less useful term.

Nowdays, the it is PC for anthropologists to say race is a myth.

Yeah well, a scientist can look a skeleton or DNA profile and determine race accurately... because it actually exists in a biological sense.  A race is a type of extended family of human beings.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2021, 09:06:54 AM »
^^^There is ample data available on racial disparities on traffic stops and disproportionate response by police at traffic stops and other interactions. 
The first official source of traffic stop data I found this morning was for North Carolina.
https://trafficstops.ncsbi.gov/Default.aspx?pageid=2

I grabbed the most recent year's worth of data and looked at it a bit.

Blacks make up about 27% of the population of North Carolina, and account for 36.2% of traffic stops, so definitely overrepresented. 
By the same token, males make up 49% of the population and 62.6% of the traffic stops.  Would you likewise, then, argue that this is clear evidence of systemic bias against males? 

For that matter, 54.7% of female traffic stops resulted in a citation or arrest and 58.1% of male traffic stops ended in citation or arrest.
By comparison, 54.1% of stops involving black drivers resulted in a citation or arrest and 56.2% of stops of white drivers ended in citation or arrest.

They didn't break out their use of force by race.

If the only reason for statistical disparity is bias, it would appear that there is at least as strong a bias against men than against blacks.  If we were to compare prison statistics, we'd find that men are imprisoned at a rate a full order of magnitude greater than women.  Hard to be more clear cut than that, isn't it?

Now, some people might go so far as to argue that there could be more than one single factor driving that disparity.  As I am not black, I could never suggest that in the United States black people as a demographic commit a disproportionate number of crimes, which could drive a greater number of police interactions both legitimately and because of that fact's influence on prejudice.  However as a man I am in a position to admit that being male is - bar none - the most significant demographic indicator of serious criminality, and have to realize that men are more likely to commit traffic offenses, more likely to commit more serious offenses, and more likely to be manifesting other criminal behavior as well.

In addition, from the anecdotal point of view, I have been interested to hear my Black work colleagues and social friends talk about this in recent years. The majority of our Black work and social circle are like my wife and I: educated, work in a professional job and are affluent.  As such, I would think that interactions with the police would be low on their list of concerns.  This is not necessarily the case, especially in regards to their children who borrow the Audi for a Friday night date.
With respect, being concerned about something is not the same thing as that thing being worthy of concern.  Today there is certainly a disproportionate amount of media coverage for police abuse of blacks which I would think would drive concern in much the same way that media hysteria drives overblown concern about other things.  Which is not to say that their concern is totally based in hysteria, but I do believe it plays into it.  A cop friend once pulled in behind the vehicle of a neighbor of mine that was parked on the street late at night.  The driver was a beautiful young black woman who regularly came over to my house with her niece to play with my kids.  As soon as he approached her car this lady started screaming at him that she hadn't done anything wrong and calling him a racist and so forth.  He explained that he saw someone hunched over their steering wheel and had simply stopped to check to make sure everything was okay, and that given that it was well past midnight and dark, he had no idea what her race was prior to approaching the vehicle.  On one hand, this kind of confrontational interaction is driven by the historical reality of racist behavior by police, but it is definitely amplified and kept going by black parents who tell their kids that they should fear and hate police.

I have heard many stories about 'driving while black' and negative experience with the police.  It has been an eye-opener for me because I have not been exposed to those same experiences. 
As a youth I was subjected to what I believe are inappropriate stops.  This was especially true when driving late at night.  I remember several times being pulled over for "weaving within the lane" - something I was not doing and something that is not in violation of a traffic law anyway.  I suppose I should have attributed those stops to my race and if my parents taught me that I was going to be wrongly stopped because of my race then I probably would have.

Is there racism within the 18,000 police forces in the USA? No doubt.
Of course.  The point has never been whether or not there are individual racist cops, but whether cops are as a whole racist.  You made the claim that your race protects you during a traffic stop.  That implies that you believe that racism plays a significant role in how police generally handle lethal force.

I don't appreciate being thought of as racist simply because I am an older white male, but I can see how some people, due to their experiences or other knowledge, come to that conclusion.
Do you defend all racial prejudice as long as it is based on subjective experiences or knowledge?  Or is only some racial prejudice okay?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2021, 11:57:51 AM »
To flip this around a bit... what I HATE about being white...

The fact that I go from pale and pasty white to scorched lobster in about 10 minutes in the sun.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2021, 03:18:10 PM »
To flip this around a bit... what I HATE about being white...

The fact that I go from pale and pasty white to scorched lobster in about 10 minutes in the sun.

I thank God every day summer that I can actually tan.

I spent a summer as a lifegaurd in High School. By August, I looked like a surfer dude- I was dark brown with blonde hair and blue eyes. (I'm normally slightly tanned and brown haired. The eyes stayed the same color.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2021, 08:28:18 PM »
Fair skinned crispy critter here as well! As a kid, if I slowly built up my tan, I could stay outside all day. My doc say's I have the skin cancer (removed) and other blemishes here in my later years to prove it! My Scottish/German heritage perhaps?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2021, 10:25:59 PM »
I like being able to more easily get Vitamin D from the sun. Also the lactose tolerance.

Exactly; I can enjoy cheese!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2021, 10:30:29 PM »

All Caucasians?

Not all low-melanin ethnicities are from the Caucus regions.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2021, 09:21:00 AM »
Caucasian is a perfectly good term.  Race is defined by skull shape, not skin color.  Caucasians may have dark skin or light skin- it does not matter.  There are many different groups of Caucasians from a huge variety of different cultures.  North Africans (including Egyptians), Europeans, Arabs, Persians, Turks, Indians- all are primarily Caucasian. The term "White" excludes darker skinned people who are still grouped in the same race anatomically, making it a less useful term.

Nowdays, the it is PC for anthropologists to say race is a myth.

Yeah well, a scientist can look a skeleton or DNA profile and determine race accurately... because it actually exists in a biological sense.  A race is a type of extended family of human beings.

You're arguing with people who will tell you plumbing has nothing to do with gender.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2021, 12:50:38 PM »
Fair skinned crispy critter here as well! As a kid, if I slowly built up my tan, I could stay outside all day. My doc say's I have the skin cancer (removed) and other blemishes here in my later years to prove it! My Scottish/German heritage perhaps?
My mother is very fair skinned and has skin issues if she gets too much sun.  I take after her in that regard. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2021, 06:05:13 PM »

Ironically, I, oh so white, have been prescribed super vitamin D pills due to a poor showing on my last blood panel. Probably because I don't go out in the sun if I can avoid it.

Like Mike, I go from snow white to lobster in seconds when exposed to UV rays.  :rofl:

What do I like about being white?

I guess... Well, all I can think of is that I would supposedly have an easier time finding makeup if I wore makeup or knew how to use it... 
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2021, 02:27:43 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CPrTJfzpuqi/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
White privilege in action. 

Youtube version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8blBGFwxNg

I have no idea what the guy did or if he earned it, but it was funny.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2021, 08:20:27 AM »
The state trooper even kept his hat on.  Nice job.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2021, 08:09:34 AM »
The older I've gotten the more I've been able to tan, believe it or not. I think my skin cells finally said "screw you, fat man, if you're going to keep treating us like this we're going to protect ourselves!"

But, it's not much of a tan, and I have to get it very gradually, and it's still really easy to get fried.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.