Author Topic: "With Respect to the AR-15, I Support a Ban"  (Read 5205 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"With Respect to the AR-15, I Support a Ban"
« on: May 26, 2021, 01:35:23 PM »
Senate confirmation hearing for ATF Director:

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2021/05/26/insane-sen-ted-cruz-has-atf-director-nominee-reiterate-his-desire-to-see-a-ban-on-ar-15s/

https://twitter.com/i/status/1397585833138528262

Claims it's "especially lethal" and somehow tries to throw his, "I was issued one on the ATF SWAT team" comment in to make it, I guess, sound like a "military" weapon.

I do wish someone would ask him how he would support and carry out the ban.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: "With Respect to the AR-15, I Support a Ban"
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 01:44:43 PM »
Well everyone knows that once a law is passed it will immediately be all beer and skittles!

It's why murder rates in Chicago are so low -- there's a law against it!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 01:50:04 PM »

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 02:17:10 PM »
At least he didn't lie. 

I hope this turns the confirmation into a vote on gun bans.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 02:33:50 PM »

Claims it's "especially lethal" and somehow tries to throw his, "I was issued one on the ATF SWAT team" comment in to make it, I guess, sound like a "military" weapon.

I wonder if he was really issued an AR-15, or if it was actually an M16 or an M4 -- with "the switch."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2021, 02:38:28 PM »
I wonder if he was really issued an AR-15, or if it was actually an M16 or an M4 -- with "the switch."

Yes, I had the same thought. It would further point out deception on his part for political motives.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 02:56:15 PM »
More: Any semi-auto with a detachable magazine that takes greater than .22 caliber is an assault weapon.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1397596024051539974

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2021/05/26/absolutely-humiliated-gop-senators-try-to-get-atf-director-nominee-to-define-assault-weapon/

Also, to a tangent:

Dana Loesch
@DLoesch
·
1h
This was always about the start of banning all semi-auto. It’s why they conflate semi with full auto and throw around terms like “assault weapon” (a term only used once in an Army field guide from the 60s specifically describing full-auto).

The quote from Dana is relevant to more than him/gov. I don't know why I still watch it, but I still watch NCIS, even though for the last few years all the bad guys are "gun nuts", "militia", or taliban. I just watched the last show of the season. One scene had them cataloging stolen weapons and they specifically said, "Mark 12 Mod 1 SPR semi-automatic rifle used by the SEALs".

Kinda makes you start getting a little parnaoid thinking that media and politicians (and big tech) are all kinda working in concert to change perceptions making sure to tie something like a special purpose rifle into the SEALs, and thus give the perception that ARs are all military rifles, with semi-auto vs selective fire of little consequence in the definition.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2021, 03:03:19 PM »
More: Any semi-auto with a detachable magazine that takes greater than .22 caliber is an assault weapon.

So he's saying the AR-10 & AK-47s are assault weapons but the AR-15 & AK-74 are not.  :O
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 03:06:11 PM »
So he's saying the AR-10 & AK-47s are assault weapons but the AR-15 & AK-74 are not.  :O

No, he specifically said "over .22, to include .223".

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 03:16:38 PM »
Roll with me here
Besides 22LR bullets are .223 in dia. and 223 Rem .224  [popcorn]
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2021, 03:27:50 PM »
I guess someone will have to develop the 219 cartridge if it doesn't exist already.  I have plenty of 5.45. 

Kind of silly to frame the issue that way, but I guess that is easier to put on paper in gun grabber legislation.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2021, 03:36:01 PM »
We are seeing the result of trying to pretend that civility is always a worthwhile goal.  Or that compromise is always good.

The proposed ATF director is against guns?  Color me shocked. 

Some of the younger gun celebrities have hit on the proper attitude with the "Become Ungovernable" and "Shall Not Comply" ideas.  The only proper response to a law enforcement official saying they support an unconstitutional law is "No.  I won't do that, and if you try to make me I will kill every cop you send.  And if I survive, I'll come for you personally".

Why even pretend to be willing to compromise on a natural right?  That's how we got into this situation in the first place.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2021, 03:57:31 PM »
Roll with me here
Besides 22LR bullets are .223 in dia. and 223 Rem .224  [popcorn]

I realize this, but he was obviously separating out .22 rimfire and basically saying that any centerfire semi-auto is an "assault weapon".

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2021, 04:07:11 PM »
I realize this, but he was obviously separating out .22 rimfire and basically saying that any centerfire semi-auto is an "assault weapon".

Thought it was clear I was mocking him as much as anything else. I just can't believe something that gun ignorant came out of the mouth of someone pegged to head the ATF. Oh wait, yes I can. I got to remember who did the pegging.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 04:32:31 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2021, 04:46:36 PM »
We are seeing the result of trying to pretend that civility is always a worthwhile goal.  Or that compromise is always good.

The proposed ATF director is against guns?  Color me shocked. 

Some of the younger gun celebrities have hit on the proper attitude with the "Become Ungovernable" and "Shall Not Comply" ideas.  The only proper response to a law enforcement official saying they support an unconstitutional law is "No.  I won't do that, and if you try to make me I will kill every cop you send.  And if I survive, I'll come for you personally".

Why even pretend to be willing to compromise on a natural right?  That's how we got into this situation in the first place.
When they say "compromise", they mean compliance.  They have no intention of both sides benefiting from the "compromise".  I guess most people active in 2nd Amendment politics realize that by now.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 10:27:27 PM by MechAg94 »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2021, 05:38:33 PM »
I guess someone will have to develop the 219 cartridge if it doesn't exist already.  I have plenty of 5.45. 

Kind of silly to frame the issue that way, but I guess that is easier to put on paper in gun grabber legislation.

.204 Ruger in an AR Platform. Loved by coyote hunters here.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2021, 07:15:54 PM »

https://twitter.com/i/status/1397596024051539974

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2021/05/26/absolutely-humiliated-gop-senators-try-to-get-atf-director-nominee-to-define-assault-weapon/

Also, to a tangent:

The quote from Dana is relevant to more than him/gov. I don't know why I still watch it, but I still watch NCIS, even though for the last few years all the bad guys are "gun nuts", "militia", or taliban. I just watched the last show of the season. One scene had them cataloging stolen weapons and they specifically said, "Mark 12 Mod 1 SPR semi-automatic rifle used by the SEALs".

Kinda makes you start getting a little parnaoid thinking that media and politicians (and big tech) are all kinda working in concert to change perceptions making sure to tie something like a special purpose rifle into the SEALs, and thus give the perception that ARs are all military rifles, with semi-auto vs selective fire of little consequence in the definition.

I just watched a recording of that NCIS show.   I did notice that remark.  I don't even know if that gun is a real gun but I was surprised it was described as "semi-automatic."   Do SEALs  even  use a semiauto AR style weapon?   I'd think they'd have full auto AR style weapons, but use them in semiauto when called for and full auto when called for.

NCIS  isn't the only tv show where bad guys are typically gun nuts, militia, or some type of rightwing kook.
It's a meme.    ;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2021, 07:55:38 PM »
Early in the SPR  (Special Purpose Receiver) program they used full auto M16/M4 trigger groups (auto, not burst).  I've shot one of those, and it was kinda meh, honestly.

Somewhere later in the program the R changed from Receiver to Rifle, and they were built with civilian 2 stage semi trigger parts.  A Mk12 Mod 1 is late enough it probably was a semi-auto.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2021, 09:41:52 PM »
With respect to the ATF, I support a ban.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2021, 10:12:40 PM »
With respect to the ATF, I support a ban.

Well played.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2021, 10:33:33 PM »
He seemed to try to back up from that saying there was no ban in the current law, but also may have suggested they be treated as particularly deadly weapons like stuff the ATF does regulate.  Not sure if that means anything, but I don't like it. 

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2021, 11:45:03 PM »

But .22 rimfire bullets aren't .22" in diameter, they're .223" or .224"
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2021, 07:55:31 AM »
But .22 rimfire bullets aren't .22" in diameter, they're .223" or .224"

The people who vote these laws in don't care about 0.003.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2021, 09:46:52 AM »
The people who vote these laws in don't care about 0.003.

Cut .003" off a shotgun barrel and let's see how much they care....

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2021, 10:53:38 PM »
$20 says they confirm the asshat anyway.