Author Topic: "With Respect to the AR-15, I Support a Ban"  (Read 5208 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: "With Respect to the AR-15, I Support a Ban"
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2021, 09:34:46 AM »
$20 says they confirm the asshat anyway.

No bet as I believe they will confirm him, too.  He is exactly the kind of person the anti-gun Democrats want leading the BATFE.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2021, 10:05:03 AM »
I heard the judiciary committee was half R's and half D's.  If he is not voted out of the committee, D's have said they will use procedural means to bring the nomination through for a floor vote.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2021, 10:10:12 AM »
The man could have said F America, pledge his allegiance to China, then pulled down his pants and wiped his butt with the constitution during the hearings and I would still expect him to be confirmed
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2021, 10:27:43 AM »
I'll buck the trend and question whether he'll be confirmed. It seems ATF Director is one of those positions that has often gone for very long periods with an acting in place as the critters bickered.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2021, 10:31:25 AM »
I'll buck the trend and question whether he'll be confirmed. It seems ATF Director is one of those positions that has often gone for very long periods with an acting in place as the critters bickered.

I hope you're right. The cynical side of me keeps coming out more and more lately.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2021, 12:33:54 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2021, 12:12:40 PM »
Expecting someone to follow the Constitution and the Bill of Rights marks you an anti-government extremist

Vice Smears Opposition to Chipman Nomination as Crazy, Far Right Militia Conspiracy
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/vice-smears-opposition-to-chipman-nomination-as-crazy-far-right-militia-conspiracy/
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 10:24:19 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2021, 12:17:31 PM »
Expecting someone to follow the Construction and the Bill of Rights marks you an anti-government extremist

Vice Smears Opposition to Chipman Nomination as Crazy, Far Right Militia Conspiracy
https://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?action=post;topic=64598.25;last_msg=1307629

That's probably not the link you meant to post.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2021, 12:23:10 PM »
No it wasn't.
Too many tabs open at one time and that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2021, 03:30:00 PM »
Expecting someone to follow the Construction and the Bill of Rights marks you an anti-government extremist

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/vice-smears-opposition-to-chipman-nomination-as-crazy-far-right-militia-conspiracy/

Always follow the Construction.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2021, 10:25:27 PM »
Always follow the Construction.

Brave must have hands down the worse spelling correction engine I've ever seen. My left hand keeps skipping and hitting wrong letters and if I don't catch them Brave then comes up with some wacked out corrections. About to go back to Firefox
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2021, 10:48:26 PM »
Brave must have hands down the worse spelling correction engine I've ever seen. My left hand keeps skipping and hitting wrong letters and if I don't catch them Brave then comes up with some wacked out corrections. About to go back to Firefox

Brave kills ads, theoretically pays me for ads I do see and doesn't crash my computer or support Mozillas political BS. i can type and spell like csd for that
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2021, 09:09:45 AM »

Have you tried proofreading? 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2021, 10:00:52 AM »
I recently got an ONN keyboard which is a typo generator. The keys are low on the surface so that the slightet touch generates a character.  It also seems to miss characters, epecially the space, and the sligthest error in typing an
A kicks the caps lock on or off.

I remember having an identical problem when I switched from mechanical typewriters where you had to put some energy into the keys, to elecric ones, but I don't think it was this bad.  I think its design has been influenced by the modern keyless keyboards; at least I think so.

I really have to go over every paragraph and correct stuff, which impedes the flow of the creative juices.

Butr I'll muddle through. <<  I left that one in as a demo.  I barely brushed the "r."

My bet's FOR confirmation. 

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2021, 10:26:03 AM »
Have you tried proofreading?

Like I said, if I catch it

By APS standards we are on topic  :rofl:
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2021, 09:58:03 PM »
Excerpts from Chipman's testimony before the Senate: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v36Bo6yTQc

Interesting how he wants to go all Minority Report on anyone who fails a background check.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2021, 10:28:53 PM »
Excerpts from Chipman's testimony before the Senate: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v36Bo6yTQc

Interesting how he wants to go all Minority Report on anyone who fails a background check.

Can't even speak English.

08:25 -- "What I was trying to use as self-depreciating humor ..."

That's an exact quote. What he meant to say, I think, was "self-deprecating humor."

Memo to Mr. Chipman: The Second Amendment doesn't say anything about training.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2021, 10:30:12 PM »

That's an exact quote. What he meant to say, I think, was "self-deprecating humor."

Maybe his humor is tax-deductible.
                         - Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2021, 10:36:13 PM »

What do you think about the notion that "well-regulated militia" refers to a well-organized (trained) militia? 'Course, it says you need free access to weapons in order to have that, so Chipman is wrong either way...

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2021, 10:49:31 PM »
Maybe his humor is tax-deductible.

I think you mean tax-deducible.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2021, 05:40:13 AM »
What do you think about the notion that "well-regulated militia" refers to a well-organized (trained) militia?

That is what it means. It means organized, trained, and uniformly equipped. And since the M16 and M4 are the primary rifles of the U.S. military, the intent of the various revisions of the Militia Acts (going back to 1792) would be that in today's world every member of the "unorganized" militia (that's every able bodied male between the ages of 17 and 45) should be required to own an AR-15-type rifle or carbine, four 30-round magazines, and a 200-round battle pack of M193 or M855 5.56x45 ammunition. That's the rough modern equivalent of what the early militiamen were required to provide according to the militia acts of 1792:

That every citizen, so enrolled and notified, shall, within six months thereafter, provide himself with a good musket or firelock, a sufficient bayonet and belt, two spare flints, and a knapsack, a pouch, with a box therein, to contain not less than twenty four cartridges, suited to the bore of his musket or firelock, each cartridge to contain a proper quantity of powder and ball; or with a good rifle, knapsack, shot-pouch, and powder-horn, twenty balls suited to the bore of his rifle, and a quarter of a pound of powder; and shall appear so armed, accoutred and provided, when called out to exercise or into service, ...

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2021, 07:28:37 AM »
That is what it means. It means organized, trained, and uniformly equipped. And since the M16 and M4 are the primary rifles of the U.S. military, the intent of the various revisions of the Militia Acts (going back to 1792) would be that in today's world every member of the "unorganized" militia (that's every able bodied male between the ages of 17 and 45) should be required to own an AR-15-type rifle or carbine, four 30-round magazines, and a 200-round battle pack of M193 or M855 5.56x45 ammunition. That's the rough modern equivalent of what the early militiamen were required to provide according to the militia acts of 1792:

Then it seems the amendment does have training in mind, only not the way Chipman suggests it does.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2021, 12:32:01 PM »
Then it seems the amendment does have training in mind, only not the way Chipman suggests it does.

Correct. It means the old dudes who wrote it would have wanted (and expected) us ("the people") to regularly do just what the liberal bed-wetters want to claim is illegal -- go out in a field somewhere and practice militia stuff.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2021, 12:54:58 PM »
Correct. It means the old dudes who wrote it would have wanted (and expected) us ("the people") to regularly do just what the liberal bed-wetters want to claim is illegal -- go out in a field somewhere and practice militia stuff.

Like in Vermont.
                         - Barack Obama

JN01

• friend
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2021, 01:49:56 PM »

And his speech is self-defecating.