Author Topic: Activist Shareholders  (Read 598 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Activist Shareholders
« on: May 27, 2021, 08:29:14 AM »
This appears to be one of the first cases where woke activist shareholders were able to affect the makeup of a major corporation's Board of Directors.

I do not like this. We've spoken of this stuff here before, and I am very much against activists pushing non-financial extremism at the expense of my investments. I saw in this article that the only way these activists were able to accomplish this was by swaying other large investment groups invested in Exxon. Most notably, California unions and public employee retirement groups.

More disturbingly, they got Blackrock on their side. Blackrock runs the federal TSP (401K for feds), and I don't want my retirement fund putting politics ahead of preserving my retirement investments. I noticed the group also approached Vanguard, but the story didn't mention what Vanguard's response was. In the past, Vanguard said that they prefer to stay "politics neutral". I can only hope they still feel that way. I don't want to have be worried that my retirement will be kiboshed because some activists wants to put out of business those corporations and industries that they don't like, using my investment dollars.

In this case, the activists were upset that Exxon continues to focus on increased oil production. Yeah, lets keep an oil company from producing fuel so that we can all pay $10/gal for gas.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/26/business/exxon-annual-meeting-climate-oil/index.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Activist Shareholders
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 10:07:27 AM »
Most activists are not consumers of products of the companies which they insist must cater to their "needs."

Blog under construction

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 10:56:48 PM »
Ben - do you have a link or something about Blackrock?  I ask as I have some BR in my portfolio.  If you have a link about that, I'll be sure to send it to (and ask some pointed questions) of my financial advisor !
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 07:38:13 AM »
Ben - do you have a link or something about Blackrock?  I ask as I have some BR in my portfolio.  If you have a link about that, I'll be sure to send it to (and ask some pointed questions) of my financial advisor !

Just the quote from the article linked above:

But like most proxy fights, the battle hinges on which side gets the support of the Big Three asset managers. BlackRock, State Street (STT) and Vanguard collectively owned nearly 19% of Exxon's shares as of the end of March, according to Refinitiv.

That's why it's a very big deal that Reuters reported BlackRock has voted for three of Engine No. 1's four candidates to join the Exxon board. A BlackRock spokesperson declined to comment on the report, and it's not clear how the company voted.

BlackRock, the world's largest asset manager, is under fire itself from activists demanding it live up to its own climate promises. The campaign is being led by BlackRock's Big Problem, a coalition that includes the Sierra Club, Rainforest Action network and Friends of the Earth.

"We question whether BlackRock is ready to hold the biggest oil and gas polluters — and their financiers — accountable. Anything less is lipservice — and greenwashing," Roberta Giordano, one of the organizers, wrote in a memo on Monday.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 08:48:59 AM »
There's a lot of Climate folks running victory laps in that article, and I share Ben's concern with virtue signaling with my retirement funds, but there are a couple of clues there as well that make me think it might not be the Climate Change Hat Trick it sounds like.

Engine No. 1. Upset with Exxon's financial performance and its foot-dragging on climate, the hedge fund sought to oust four directors at the company's annual shareholder meeting.

I suspect Blackrock was upset as well.

Engine No. 1 has criticized Exxon's reluctance to diversify into renewable energy and steps to maximize oil production.

I'm not an Exxon shareholder, but I am a BP shareholder and BP's diversification into other forms of energy production is a large concern of mine.  I can see why Exxon's shareholders might also be concerned.

The world's most valuable company as recently as 2013, Exxon has lost nearly $200 billion in market capitalization since its peak. It had enjoyed an unbroken run as a member of the Dow Jones Industrial Average from 1928 until it was kicked out of the exclusive index last summer.
During the five years prior to the pandemic, Exxon's total return (including dividends) fell by 17.5%, according to Engine No. 1. That was easily last among the five biggest oil companies over that span, with Exxon the only one suffering a loss. The S&P 500 surged nearly 80% during the same time frame.

Engine No. 1 argued the climate crisis poses an existential threat to Exxon — one the company hasn't taken seriously enough. Unlike BP, Royal Dutch Shell and other European oil majors, Exxon has doubled down on oil and gas despite growing concern about the climate crisis.

"A refusal to accept that fossil fuel demand may decline in decades to come has led to a failure to take even initial steps towards evolution, and to obfuscating rather than addressing long-term business risk," Engine No. 1 wrote in its investor presentation.

That is, I think, a valid statement.  Regardless of Climate Change's effect on the planet, the politics is on the wall, and much of the industrialized world is going to spend trillions of dollars in the next 20 or so years to make energy and transportation that is not oil dependent.  If you are an oil company, that is a big deal, that you need to be planning for.  Throw in the instability when the screaming beards start hurting for money as demand for oil declines and Exxon really should have some kind of non-oil dependent plan and it seems like they don't.

I would have to do some research (which I don't care enough to do) to find out if the 2 Engine #1 board candidates that Blackrock backed are climate change crazies, or just kinda moderate executives that picked up backing from two disparate groups.  I think the climate groups might be patting themselves on the back a little too hard for this "shot across the bow" of a company that was about to have it's board shaken up pretty hard anyways.  It also doesn't take an Activist Investor to want an energy company to look at diverse ways of providing that energy in a near term future that is obviously going to be moving away from petroleum.

TL:DR:  Exxon *expletive deleted*ed themselves by some piss poor performance in the last decade and questionable strategies.  Folks on their board were going to get fired, and more firings are coming.  I don't think this is the huge win for Greta's team that CNN seems to think.  Still bears keeping an eye on though.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 09:18:22 AM »
There's a lot of Climate folks running victory laps in that article, and I share Ben's concern with virtue signaling with my retirement funds, but there are a couple of clues there as well that make me think it might not be the Climate Change Hat Trick it sounds like.

I suspect Blackrock was upset as well.

I'm not an Exxon shareholder, but I am a BP shareholder and BP's diversification into other forms of energy production is a large concern of mine.  I can see why Exxon's shareholders might also be concerned.

That is, I think, a valid statement.  Regardless of Climate Change's effect on the planet, the politics is on the wall, and much of the industrialized world is going to spend trillions of dollars in the next 20 or so years to make energy and transportation that is not oil dependent.  If you are an oil company, that is a big deal, that you need to be planning for.  Throw in the instability when the screaming beards start hurting for money as demand for oil declines and Exxon really should have some kind of non-oil dependent plan and it seems like they don't.

I would have to do some research (which I don't care enough to do) to find out if the 2 Engine #1 board candidates that Blackrock backed are climate change crazies, or just kinda moderate executives that picked up backing from two disparate groups.  I think the climate groups might be patting themselves on the back a little too hard for this "shot across the bow" of a company that was about to have it's board shaken up pretty hard anyways.  It also doesn't take an Activist Investor to want an energy company to look at diverse ways of providing that energy in a near term future that is obviously going to be moving away from petroleum.

TL:DR:  Exxon *expletive deleted*ed themselves by some piss poor performance in the last decade and questionable strategies.  Folks on their board were going to get fired, and more firings are coming.  I don't think this is the huge win for Greta's team that CNN seems to think.  Still bears keeping an eye on though.

I (also a BP shareholder) agree with the above. The article doesn't go into any detail on the new board members, and that's a large part of deciding if this is full-on activism or if there were also real shareholder concerns addressed.

I also agree that Exxon should be looking at the future. My concern with these activist shareholders, when they have an environmental agenda, is the same concern I have with enviro activists in general: They all seem to want to turn off the oil (or other "bad thing") spigot all at once and right now, versus a more sensible "slow growth" approach that allows for transition, as well as pauses if necessary. We have only to look at CA and Germany to see what happens when you try to do a "snap the fingers" approach to switching energy infrastructure.

My fear regarding my investments is the enviro activist groups with a "means justifies the ends" philosophy, that would happily bankrupt a company (and severely harm individual shareholders, including retirement accounts) that doesn't meet their woke goals. When I see entities like these California groups mentioned in the article, that worries me, since I know just how activist they are.