Author Topic: Amazon Devices Will Share Your Bandwidth With Neighbors  (Read 1656 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Amazon Devices Will Share Your Bandwidth With Neighbors
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2021, 11:32:20 AM »
I confirmed that I have a Common wire, so I should be able to replace the thermostat fairly easily.

I want to take a picture of how the current Honeywell is wired up and ensure that I don't run into anything funky with how the wires are on the terminal block.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2021, 12:01:34 PM »
I confirmed that I have a Common wire, so I should be able to replace the thermostat fairly easily.

I want to take a picture of how the current Honeywell is wired up and ensure that I don't run into anything funky with how the wires are on the terminal block.

When swapping out the thermostat the very first thing you want to do after unhooking the power wire is to wrap it with electrical tape before you go any further with poking tools around in there. Just a tip I got from a HVAC guy as he was replacing fuses on the unit in the attic. :(

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2021, 12:14:33 PM »

The very first thing I always do when I swap a thermostat is take a picture of the wiring before I disconnect stuff. It has saved time, or just plain saved me, on more than one occasion.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2021, 12:32:24 PM »
I always take pictures of the wiring. Or draw a diagram. Something to let me know exactly how everything was hooked up.

As for doing the rewire, I've always shut the system down at the breaker panel, completely, before I mess with the wiring.

And, I throw a couple of wraps of tape around the wiring bundle and tack it to the wall to make sure it doesn't drop back inside the wall cavity.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2021, 12:34:56 PM »
You have an air handler so breakers should be right on the front so you can kill power before changing t-stat.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2021, 01:13:17 PM »
I know, but part of my point was that it's "opt-out", not "opt-in". I believe that anything that can affect network or other personal security should be an "opt-in". This ties into the current big google lawsuit where they have been stealth deactivating privacy settings.

I agree completely on the "opt in" vs. "opt out" thing. That's been a pet peeve of mine for years, beginning with "free" magazine subscriptions back when printed magazines were actually a thing. They'd give you a free trial subscription, but if you didn't remember to cancel within a narrow time window you were locked into an annual subscription -- which was set up for auto-renewal. I always declined those offers. If they were so sure I would want their magazine, they should have trusted that I would opt in at the end of the trial period rather than doing their best to trap me into a subscription.

I didn't know about this Google lawsuit. Where can I find out more?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2021, 01:29:25 PM »
You have an air handler so breakers should be right on the front so you can kill power before changing t-stat.

Yes, but...

When in doubt, kill everything and reset all of your digital clocks.

And when it comes to the possibility of screwing up a very expensive to replace system.... see the kill everything concept.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2021, 01:30:41 PM »
"I didn't know about this Google lawsuit. Where can I find out more?"

I'm sure if you google it you'll find lots of information on the lawsuit against.... oh... well isn't that special...  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: