Author Topic: Just when you thought California couldn't get any more insane  (Read 731 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
CalMatters
@CalMatters
The California Assembly & Senate unveiled a joint spending plan that proposes a program in which the state would pay for, and own, up to 45% of a home.

That would cut the purchase price nearly in half, allowing more families to buy homes & build wealth https://bit.ly/3fKzuZO

Because, you know, this has worked so well in making "higher" "education" affordable

California legislature proposes the state pay for, and own, up to 45 percent of a home, ‘allowing more families to buy homes’
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/06/03/california-legislature-proposes-the-state-pay-for-and-own-up-to-45-percent-of-a-home-allowing-more-families-to-buy-homes/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: Just when you thought California couldn't get any more insane
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 11:08:09 PM »
Great news for those who already own property in Cali.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 06:14:05 AM »
Well since we own nearly half you won't mind if we have your "uncle" stay here with you to help educate you about all the great things the state is doing right?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 07:29:15 AM »
That state is so far in debt it’s unbelievable. Then again when the federal government bails you it why even worry about your states debt.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 07:56:27 AM »
That state is so far in debt it’s unbelievable. Then again when the federal government bails you it why even worry about your states debt.

Biden's election saved them. Trump was planning to not give them federal funds to reimburse them for the crazy money they spent during the covid. I think Biden actually gave them more money than they spent.

So on the housing thing, basically everybody becomes renters with the state as their landlord. Or worse, every house is a timeshare.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 10:13:48 AM »
So everyone who owns property (probably a lot of politicians and lobbyists), stands to get themselves paid a lot of money by the state govt.  Plus (as mentioned above) most people will no longer have full control of their property allowing state agencies to force all sorts of "programs" on homeowners. 

Of course, they could cut the cost of housing quite a bit if they just removed a lot of the regulations and approvals that prevent developers from building more housing where it is needed.  That might devalue the houses those politicians own.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 12:25:13 PM »
I'm sure the state will have joint and several liability for any mortgage, too.  Anyone stupid enough to co-own a house with the state of CA deserves whatever happens to them.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2021, 01:05:17 PM »
Some cities could benefit from razing blocks of vacant places, and just putting in manufactured housing, sold at subsidized cost to folks like vets, etc...

I wonder - does anyone know the failure rate with the Habitat for Humanity stuff?
Blog under construction

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2021, 01:19:07 PM »
I'm imagining much hilarity when the state doesn't pay the property tax on its half and the property goes in default to the county.
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2021, 02:33:32 PM »
Some cities could benefit from razing blocks of vacant places, and just putting in manufactured housing, sold at subsidized cost to folks like vets, etc...

I wonder - does anyone know the failure rate with the Habitat for Humanity stuff?
John Stossel talked about it in this video.  The govt seems to actively prevent new or expanded housing from being built. 
https://youtu.be/b9pgh5EO6lw?t=210

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

JN01

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2021, 09:41:03 PM »
Does California allow restrictions on gun possession in government owned buildings?