Armed Polite Society

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

R.I.P. Scout26

Author Topic: Progress report on Washington state red flag laws  (Read 147 times)

MillCreek

• friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Progress report on Washington state red flag laws
« on: June 02, 2021, 09:01:03 AM »

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/washington-was-at-the-forefront-of-a-gun-violence-prevention-law-heres-how-its-played-out/

Washington was one of the first states to have a red flag law.  Interesting how many petitions were filed on the basis of potential self-harm.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Progress report on Washington state red flag laws
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 09:46:34 AM »

Studies in Connecticut and Indiana show that for every 10 to 20 petitions granted by a judge, one suicide is prevented, he said.
That is a lot of people affected who are apparently not suicidal yet they call this a success.  I wonder if they apply the same standard to criminal suspects. 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 04:02:22 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 09:57:30 AM »

That is a lot of people affected who apparently not suicidal yet they call this a success.  I wonder if they apply the same standard to criminal suspects.

Are non suicidal people being affected,  or are the other 19 folks hanging themselves?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 04:08:08 PM »

I don't know if they care.  It is that silly game of "if it just saves one life......." that apparently justifies them to trample over every right, law, and custom. 

I would ask how they know it saved a life?  All they are doing is taking the guns (that they know about).  IMO, the better course of action in the cases they highlight is to put them in for mental evaluation.  They mention one guy who thought people were following him.  Then they show up and take all his guns away.  I am sure that made him feel better. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 05:04:15 PM »

All they are doing is taking the guns (that they know about).

And that is part of the problem.
Why don't they take the person's car as well?  After all, they can go out and drive into a bridge abutment, causing who knows how much damage.  Or they could drive it into other vehicles, harming others.
Where do you draw the  _____________________________ ??
  ;/
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 06:51:23 PM »

Heh, heh ...

Juveniles, people convicted of felonies, anyone arrested or convicted of a crime of domestic violence, subjects of domestic-violence protection orders and anyone ordered by the court into involuntary mental-health treatment for 14 days are not legally allowed to own guns, so an ERPO does not apply to them. As of January, anyone involuntarily committed for up to five days loses eligibility to legally possess firearms for six months.

So the cops can't use "ERPOs" to go after guns owned or possessed by convicted felons. Good to know.

And if a person is already the subject of a domestic violence protection order -- why should they be hit with another protection order? This is another example of a law against something not working, so the answer is to enact another law making [____] more uber-illegaler.

Though more research is needed on whether ERPOs are effective in preventing firearm deaths, Dr. Ali Rowhani-Rahbar, an associate professor of epidemiology at the University of Washington’s School of Public Health, said early evidence looks promising. Studies in Connecticut and Indiana show that for every 10 to 20 petitions granted by a judge, one suicide is prevented, he said.

I read that as saying that ERPOs are effective in between 5% and 10% of cases -- which is another way of saying that they have a failure rate of 90 or 95 percent. That doesn't sound to me like a great basis for justifying the prohibition on a [supposedly] guaranteed constitutional  right.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 08:21:02 PM »

How do they know that a suicide has been prevented?  Did the person tell them "OMG, thank you for taking my firearms, I was going to kill myself but now I can't/won't?"