Author Topic: Software updates  (Read 357 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Software updates
« on: June 03, 2021, 11:30:26 AM »
I use a mix of computers -- desktop, laptop, and a couple of tablets -- so when a program I use comes out with a new version, I typically download the new version to my network storage drive, a Western-Digital MyCloud, so I have it there and don't have to download it again for each machine. Space hasn't been an issue but, for some programs, I may have six or eight old versions in the Downloads directory. I think it makes sense to save a couple of older versions in case I encounter issues with a new update but -- how many versions does it make sense to keep?

How do y'all deal with old versions of programs?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Software updates
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 11:44:52 AM »
I don't.  I let yum pull and install updates as the Fedora ecosystem adds them to the repos, and I use what's there.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 11:57:35 AM »
I keep install media for the previous version, at least until the new version proves itself.  I delete older versions; I assume I can find them archived somewhere if I really need them.
"It's good, though..."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2021, 01:20:14 AM »
Once I know it's stable and functional on my machines, I trash the previous versions.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2021, 04:27:41 AM »
I keep a backlog of older versions of things, just because. Never had to use them though. Although with the current political atmosphere, I've been getting kind of leery about upgraded certain programs and apps.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic