Author Topic: Manipulation of diversity of thought  (Read 598 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Manipulation of diversity of thought
« on: June 04, 2021, 03:03:32 PM »
If CNN doesn't publish it, does it exist?

If Goggle doesn't map it, does it exist?

Blog under construction

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Manipulation of diversity of thought
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 05:41:13 PM »
If CNN doesn't publish it, does it exist?

If Goggle doesn't map it, does it exist?

What if they decided to just not tell us about something....
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

griz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 06:17:31 PM »
It exists but could become irrelevant.  As an example, imagine a candidate for national office.  They literally can't reach enough voters to make a difference without an internet presence.  If Google's algorithm "accidentally" determines they are not worthy of a search, how will people find out about him or her?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 06:19:12 PM »
What if they decided to just not tell us about something....

What if publishers, educational institutions and libraries have been censoring material all along, for centuries?

What if governments lied about just about everything over the centuries all along?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 06:41:18 PM »
It exists but could become irrelevant.  As an example, imagine a candidate for national office.  They literally can't reach enough voters to make a difference without an internet presence.  If Google's algorithm "accidentally" determines they are not worthy of a search, how will people find out about him or her?

Trump has just been "suspended" from facebook for two years by their "oversight board". As long as these companies have a practically monopoly presence*, they can decide who we get to learn about, or not, for any public office. Not to mention any other information that is relevant or critical. They are even now still censoring posts regarding the Wuhan lab leak.

They (facebook, twitter, google, etc.) have enough sheep using them exclusively that they can run the narrative. Those of us who look for other news sources are labeled as kooks, and sadly, the numbers are on their side, at least for now.

* I would argue that when companies can collude to shut down alternatives (see Parler, where facebook, twitter, and amazon all worked together to kill Parler) they are effectively monopolies.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

griz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 08:05:06 PM »
I agree that they are effectively monopolies, but have no idea how that can be changed.

By the way, I thought it was down right funny that facebook's oversight board determined that Trump's indefinite suspension was concerning.  So much so that they recommended "something" be done about it, maybe by next year.  The media treated that as a harsh decision, even though they weren't in a hurry to fix it and there will likely be no consequences if they fail to meet the leisurely timetable.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 10:33:21 PM »
I suspect that they would be the first casualties of CWII...
Blog under construction

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2021, 10:38:07 PM »
Suspended from faceplant until after the midterms. How convenient. Unlike Bogie who is suspended forever which means he is worse than trump who is worse than hitler so...
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2021, 02:06:26 AM »
I just hope to see someone doing a class action suit... That would be FUN.
Blog under construction