Author Topic: Killdozer  (Read 2769 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Killdozer
« on: June 04, 2021, 08:14:10 PM »
The Story Of Marvin Heemeyer’s Revenge And His Killdozer
https://allthatsinteresting.com/marvin-heemeyer-killdozer

When Marvin Heemeyer of Granby, Colorado, reached a dead end in his fight with the zoning commission, the logical response would have been to petition them again and await a future response. After all, Marvin Heemeyer was said to be a logical man, so it makes sense that he would take a logical approach.

Instead, Marvin Heemeyer went home, outfitted his Komatsu D355A bulldozer with armored plates, and drove it through the town knocking down 13 buildings and causing $7 million worth of damage with his makeshift “killdozer.”

Saw this on Instagram today.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Killdozer
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 11:18:59 PM »
Okay, that spin on the "Don't tread on me" flag made me laugh.  =D

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 12:11:04 AM »
The fact that a nearby base was put on alert to send a chopper with an ATM seems odd to me, because from what I've read on the internet a single .45 ACP round, fired from a 1911 specifically, should have been enough to knock the dozer on its side.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2021, 11:28:58 PM »
The fact that a nearby base was put on alert to send a chopper with an ATM seems odd to me, because from what I've read on the internet a single .45 ACP round, fired from a 1911 specifically, should have been enough to knock the dozer on its side.

They couldn't deploy the 1911, because it was a populated area. For one thing, .45 ACP would have caused the killdozer to explode. But then that single round would have also sacked the town, salted the farmland, raped the women, stolen the horses, and taken all of the great works of art for its personal collection.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 12:01:19 AM »
10mm the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 12:50:34 AM »
They couldn't deploy the 1911, because it was a populated area. For one thing, .45 ACP would have caused the killdozer to explode. But then that single round would have also sacked the town, salted the farmland, raped the women, stolen the horses, and taken all of the great works of art for its personal collection.

It's that good.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2023, 10:36:02 AM »
Meet Israel's version

Israel sends in 'the Teddy Bear': How the world's most indestructible bulldozer will spearhead IDF's invasion of Gaza and tackle its labyrinth of tunnels, booby-traps and sniper positions
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-12626891/The-worlds-indestructible-bulldozer-Israels-D9R-nicknamed-teddy-bear-features-large-heavy-blade-clear-explosive-devices-slat-armour-counter-rocket-propelled-grenades.html

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2023, 10:44:25 AM »
Meet Israel's version

An earlier version of that one gave us Saint Pancake Day.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2023, 11:28:21 AM »
Is it true that the latest model is being called the Rachel Corrie Signature Edition?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2023, 12:18:07 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IDF_Caterpillar_D9

How vulnerable are the tracks?  And if it does lose a track, is it immobilized or can it limp along on the drive wheels?  I don't know which wheels are driven and which are idlers.
"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2023, 01:21:26 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IDF_Caterpillar_D9

How vulnerable are the tracks?  And if it does lose a track, is it immobilized or can it limp along on the drive wheels?  I don't know which wheels are driven and which are idlers.

The big sprockets at the top of the tracks are the drive wheels.  THe ones it rides on are called road wheels.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2023, 01:41:30 PM »
The big sprockets at the top of the tracks are the drive wheels.  THe ones it rides on are called road wheels.

Thanks, that's what I thought.  If they lose a track, the road wheels can't be driven, right?  Would require extra gears and I don't know if it would even work. (not enough traction, not enough clearance, etc)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 02:12:11 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2023, 02:07:08 PM »
Thanks, that's what I thought.  If they lose a track, the road wheels can't be driven, right?  Would require extra gears and I don't know if it would even work. (not enough traction, not even clearance, etc)

I've never seen a tracked vehicle that drove the road wheels, but there may be one in the world.  Generally if you knock a track off that's a mobility kill until someone can get out and repair it.  At least in the Army, breaking track is a crew level job, and if they aren't getting activly shot at, they can repair it and get it back on the tank themselves.

Boomhauer might have mor insight into Caterpillar track systems.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2023, 02:29:22 PM »
I've never seen a tracked vehicle that drove the road wheels, but there may be one in the world.

Some of the Christie designs did, the tracks could even be removed for faster road travel. One of his tanks holds the speed record for tanks at 104mph
- Calvin and Hobbes

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2023, 03:03:46 PM »
The final drive with the sprocket segments is the only way to drive the tracks on a high track dozer. The bottom rollers, the two large idler wheels at front and back of roller frame, and the carrier return rollers at top of track are all free wheeling.

The difference between a tank track and a dozer track is the dozer is extremely heavy duty. It is made extremely thick whereas you can split tank tracks and manhandle sections you ain’t doing *expletive deleted*it without a crane on a dozer
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2023, 09:50:41 PM »
Would the tunnels under Gaza be a potential pitfall for the Teddy Bear?  I'd assume the tunnels are reinforced to withstand normal traffic, including large trucks, but that thing is somewhat heavy at ~65 tons.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2024, 03:13:26 PM »
Son of Killdozer

No word on what triggered this

Cop car is attacked by wild Bobcat driver as he rams cruiser with vehicle's loader in Nebraska home depot parking lot rampage
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12965425/Bobcat-driver-video-Nebraska-cop-car.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2024, 05:08:46 PM »
Can it be a Killdozer if there is no armor or other add-ons?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2024, 05:12:09 PM »
Can it be a Killdozer if there is no armor or other add-ons?

Seeing how this guy didn't get to kill anything other than cars maybe it is just a Smashdozer.

bob

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2024, 05:19:51 PM »

No word on what triggered this

More than likely, something like this:

There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2024, 05:20:09 PM »
Seeing how this guy didn't get to kill anything other than cars maybe it is just a Smashdozer.

bob

Not from lack of trying
- Calvin and Hobbes