Author Topic: NASA's new mission  (Read 1109 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
NASA's new mission
« on: June 16, 2021, 09:02:56 AM »
Equity

Because "equity" is much more important than getting the mission done and/or crew safety

NASA
@NASA
We’re launching Mission Equity, a comprehensive effort to assess how to expand access to our programs and examine potential barriers and challenges that exist for historically underrepresented and underserved communities. Find out how to give feedback: https://go.nasa.gov/2TDU0mg

NASA announces the launch of Mission Equity, will examine potential barriers for historically underserved communities
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/06/15/nasa-announces-the-launch-of-mission-equity-will-examine-potential-barriers-for-historically-underserved-communities/

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: NASA's new mission
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 01:53:12 PM »
Chasing equity sounds like a good way to sabotage our space program.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 03:09:58 PM »

That might be the actual goal.  "Gee whiz, NASA has really gone to Hades in a handbasket.  We might as well just shut it down", says the lefty Senator.  "Sounds good", replies the dementia-addled puppet President.

edited for proper capitalization.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 04:55:42 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 03:18:06 PM »
Do you want billionaires starting colonies?  Because that's how you get billionaires starting colonies.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 04:50:56 PM »
Do you want billionaires starting colonies?  Because that's how you get billionaires starting colonies.

Where is D. D. Harriman when we need him?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 04:57:04 PM »
Where is D. D. Harriman when we need him?

The person behaving the most like ol' D.D. would be Elon Musk.  But I don't believe Musk is motivated by quite the same things.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 05:31:03 PM »
I think it's safe to assume the billionaires aren't hiring for diversity. At least for jobs building the rockets that they are taking a ride in.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 08:16:56 PM »

Not long after the Challenger explosion, there were a number of black humor jokes circulating about the event. One of them was that, just as they lifted off, Mission Commander Francis Scobee said to Christa McAuliff, "Isn't this great? And just think, every part of this spacecraft was made by the lowest bidder."

Pretty soon we'll be dusting that off, and the new version will be, "Just think, every part of this spacecraft was designed by the lowest common denominator."

I can remember when being the best and the brightest was considered an asset. Today it's an albatross.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 08:28:20 PM »
The Space Cadets have been replaced by the Space Cadre.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2021, 01:58:42 PM »
NASA needs people made of the (Somewhat) Adequate Stuff.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2021, 03:14:33 PM »
To go where no insert pronoun here has gone before.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2021, 03:39:49 PM »
National Aeronautics and Spacey Administration?

Hawkmoon said it:

'I can remember when being the best and the brightest was considered an asset. Today it's an albatross."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2021, 03:44:48 PM »
So will the NBA and collage basketball be required to be 76% white and 2% (or whatever the % is) midgets? Yes I know the answer to that.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2021, 03:57:11 PM »
Equality. Be like Kirk and bang local chicks no matter the species.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2021, 11:27:46 AM »
Bloom County addressed this back in the 1980s...

The one strip said they had, IIRC, officially run out of minorities to send into space with the launch of the first mulatto touch typist Elvis impersonator astronaut.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2021, 11:31:44 AM »
OK, found it. Not quite as I remembered it, but close.

And it's also listed as Bloom County comics that have been "deleted from Toons for our Times."

Gee, wonder why...

Edit in:

OK, apparently Google saw the link(or someone did) and killed it, so I had to go find it elsewhere...

I also found this one on the same page -- apparently it was supposed to run the next day and it was pulled from a lot of papers. I certainly don't remember it running in the 80s, whereas I do remember the previous one.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 03:48:12 PM by K Frame »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2021, 02:15:25 PM »
Equality. Be like Kirk and bang local chicks no matter the species.
No thanks.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain