Author Topic: Blinded by the (head)light  (Read 1195 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Blinded by the (head)light
« on: June 05, 2021, 03:55:49 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Blinded by the (head)light
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 05:57:03 PM »
No, not just cataracts. New lights are too bright.

David Aylor, the manager of active safety testing at the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, said technology known as high-beam assist automatically switches high beams to low beams when it senses an oncoming car.

The feature, which was introduced about five years ago, is becoming more readily available. Whether it has reduced complaints about headlight glare is not yet clear, Mr. Aylor said.

Five years ago? My grandfather's car had that in 1960.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 06:04:57 PM »

My 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee dims the lights as oncoming cars get closer until they are on low beam. That is as long as I have it enabled. I don't use it a lot unless I am on a divided highway, I don't like how close it gets to cars in front of me before it dims.

bob

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2021, 10:54:19 PM »
My 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee dims the lights as oncoming cars get closer until they are on low beam. That is as long as I have it enabled. I don't use it a lot unless I am on a divided highway, I don't like how close it gets to cars in front of me before it dims.

bob
My Tacoma has that.  I don't like to depend on it too much.  Sometimes the other cars lights are on the edge of the brightness limit and I find my truck is flashing high beams at the other car. 
It also happened with truck in front of me.  It will normally turn off the high beams when you get too close, but can sometimes flash them. 

I like the idea, but seems like it needs some work. 

I agree that some LED headlights are too bright, but part of it is the old problem of some people having their light adjusted to point too high.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 01:41:41 AM »
In the parts store:

"I need some lights for my F150 Silverado."

"Okay... Is it that silver truck."

"Yeah. That my truck."

"Okay - what year is it? <types in 2012 F150 _IF THE CUSTOMER KNOWS THE YEAR_>"

More than a few younger people who seem to be students at a very high dollar university, look puzzled and reply "2021?"

Sigh.

Anywho, I figure out which model, and which batch of bulbs the (*^*(&%^&*(^%)(*& automotive engineers used that model year, and...

"Do you need high beams or low beams?"

"Huh?"

"Do you need bright lights or dim lights?"

"I want the bright ones!"

<we usually take those in return...>

Some folks don't know. I go out to figure out the WTF factor.

"Turn you lights on! Okay - one of your brights is out. Now, dim your lights!"

"Huh?"

There are a LOT of people out there who do not think that their lights are on unless the blue light on the dashboard is on.

Many of them drive Dodge Chargers.
Blog under construction

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 03:53:52 AM »

I remember driving a car with that headlight dimming "feature" in the mid-70s. I believe that was a Ford LTD Crown Victoria.

Half the time it was just annoying to me.

(Going the other way, I had a Datsun 310 GX whose chrome bumper reflected a strong ray upward which would turn streetlights off.  No kidding, no BS. Drive down the street and the damn streetlight ahead of me would turn off. Not
100% of the time, but often enough to creep me out.

Now that was spooky until I saw what was going on when I parked it near a tall brick wall and could see the bright streak higher up on the wall.  AHA! I thought my evil spirit was causing it.  Cue Twilight Zone music.)

Terry, 230RN

REF (310 GX front end for unbelievers.  Took me a couple of months to notice the effect and confirm it for sure, another week or so to get around to actually diagnosing it. Notice for that picture angle, you can see a reflection of part of the headlights in the bumper. ):

https://barnfinds.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/031820-1981-Datsun-310-GX-1-e1584635272411.jpg
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 04:44:38 AM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2021, 07:50:16 AM »
The one thing about living in metro Washington, DC, is that you rarely get to use your high beams...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 09:02:53 AM »
I wear night time driving glasses.  Solves the problem nicely.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2021, 10:01:05 AM »
I remember the first car I drove with the dimmer in the turn signal switch. It turned dark and I'm stomping on the floor looking for the switch.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2021, 12:04:37 AM »
The one thing about living in metro Washington, DC, is that you rarely get to use your high beams...

What if you're in Southeast?

Because that seems to be the demographic of many of my customers. Who have them on.
Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2021, 12:07:04 AM »
First care I drove with it on the tree was a VW bus - I LOVED that and never looked back. Hated the floor dimmer.

Oh, and you can always tell who bought some landing light LEDs from Fleabay - They are either dim, or too damn bright. And if you move the diode(s) in the reflector, you get a different effect.

Corncobs work best, but the best is where the reflector and the diode(s) are integrated.
Blog under construction

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2021, 12:17:52 AM »

There are a LOT of people out there who do not think that their lights are on unless the blue light on the dashboard is on.

Many of them drive Dodge Chargers.

:rofl:   :rofl:    :rofl:    :rofl:    :rofl:
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2021, 12:30:51 AM »
I remember the first car I drove with the dimmer in the turn signal switch. It turned dark and I'm stomping on the floor looking for the switch.

Just as an fyi, typical floor of a transit bus has 3 of those switches on the floor just to the left of the steering column.  They are in a triangle, with just enough room to fit your left foot in the middle of them.  The one at the apex, near your toes, is the dimmer and operates as you would expect.  The other two, to the left and right of your foot, are the left and right turn signals. Momentary contact switches.  Hold down the one on the left side of your foot and the left signal flashes.  Lift your foot, it stops. Same on the right.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2021, 06:46:00 AM »

What if you're in Southeast?

Because that seems to be the demographic of many of my customers. Who have them on.

I can honestly say I have never been in Southeast while driving. And I never intend to be, either.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2021, 08:56:59 AM »
Pretty sure that my 1977 Ford Maverick was the last car I had that had the high beam switch on the floor.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2021, 10:00:26 AM »
Pretty sure that my 1977 Ford Maverick was the last car I had that had the high beam switch on the floor.
My Dad had a 1982 Chevy truck with the floor switch. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2021, 11:06:33 AM »
I went from the Maverick to a 1986 Nissan Stanza, and I'm pretty sure the Stanza had the high beam on the column.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2021, 11:28:23 AM »
Out here in deer and hog country those much brighter high beams are a godsend. Irritating when the person coming at you is a bit too reliant on auto-dimming, sure, but otherwise a giant boost in nighttime driving safety.

We used to have a ranch truck with KC Highlighters on the bumper bar. Pity the poor oncoming fool who didn't pay heed to a friendly "Your lights are sill on bright" headlight flash. Related wisdom... don't use this strategy when aforementioned oncoming fool happens to be a cop.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2021, 12:03:43 PM »
I went from the Maverick to a 1986 Nissan Stanza, and I'm pretty sure the Stanza had the high beam on the column.

It probably did. My first new car, a 1973 240Z had stalks, one for lights on/off and dim and wipers on the other side. It took a while to get used to that.

bob

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2021, 12:17:18 PM »
My 1982 Datsun Nissan Stanza was on the tree... My current 2000 Tiburon has signals on the left, along with the lights, and the wipers are on the right. Shifter is on the floor where it is supposed to be. When I get in my 1985 van, the turn signal, wipers, and cruise control is on the left of the tree. Pull switch on the dash for the lights, but bump the left lever for high/low.
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2021, 12:29:42 PM »
The only thing light-related on the dash with any of my Subarus is the switch for the fog lights and the dimmer switch for the interior dash lights.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2021, 12:45:34 AM »
My Tacoma has that.  I don't like to depend on it too much.  Sometimes the other cars lights are on the edge of the brightness limit and I find my truck is flashing high beams at the other car. 
It also happened with truck in front of me.  It will normally turn off the high beams when you get too close, but can sometimes flash them. 

I like the idea, but seems like it needs some work. 

I agree that some LED headlights are too bright, but part of it is the old problem of some people having their light adjusted to point too high.

That would explain some experiences I've had. 

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2021, 01:11:08 AM »
Not being a fan of bright lights, Car headlights have been bugging me for 30 years.  As the article states, a lot of the problems relates to the different levels the drivers and lights are located.
I don't know what kind of headlights are in my two vehicles as I have never had to replace them.  They are an '08 Ranger p/u and a '11 Elantra with the Elantra having the DRLs (highs at half power).  Naturally the Elantra, being lower, is the one where I have had the most problem with lights from others.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2021, 08:17:15 AM »
My Dad had a 1982 Chevy truck with the floor switch.

It was still there on the '83 model as well.
My '68 M715 has the dimmer switch on the floor but it came factory with the starter switch on the floor as well.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2021, 11:48:59 PM »
Oh yeah - I get so many customers who just bought a 10-15 year old "luxury" car come in because they have a headlight that burned out, and discover what HID headlights cost...

Yeah, that BMW sure looks gangster, but that costs...
Blog under construction