Author Topic: DOJ and Pistol Braces - New as of 07JUN  (Read 2222 times)

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Re: DOJ and Pistol Braces - New as of 07JUN
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2021, 01:12:41 PM »
I think the biggest problem is going to be the 12-26" OAL requirement - shorter and you're a criminal, longer and you're also a criminal. I'm seeing a 10" AR pistol with a given OAL of 26.4" - and the 10" guns are pretty common, 11" and longer as well. The 6.5 Grendels and .308 AR pistols tend to be 11-12" barrels or longer.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2021, 10:21:09 PM »
I heard MidwayUSA was dumping their braces for almost half price.

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?searchTerm=pistol+brace

Looks like mostly the ones that would be less compliant.

I'm getting e-mails from just about every gun related seller I subscribe to pushing braces and braced guns
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2021, 01:28:24 PM »
Perhaps I got some bad information, because I was under the impression you could basically only have a naked buffer tube, fixed iron sights, and barrels less than 8". Plus no handstop or any grip of any kind.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2021, 03:02:13 PM »
I commented.  Might not do any good, but I'm going to do what I can.

I have to come up with a decent comment for the receiver rule change as well.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2021, 11:05:48 PM »
There seems to be a lot of misinformation going around, especially this article:

https://www.ammoland.com/2021/06/atf-released-new-proposed-pistol-brace-rules/#axzz6x9id6BnL

Firearms over 13 ½ inches would automatically be an SBR.

The ATF would assign a gun with a red dot two points.  The ATF doesn’t see why a shooter would use a red dot pistol on a pistol.

Maybe it's a defensive posture, but I don't hear much about what would still be legal. For example, if an AR pistol has no brace, can it still be an SBR because of sights or handstops? Or would the point system not apply?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2021, 10:29:51 AM »
If only someone would link the actual proposed rule so people could read it and have an informed discussion instead of relying on gun channels and blogs whose revenue requires clicks.

All your questions could be answered.

;/

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2021, 11:42:01 AM »
For example, if an AR pistol has no brace, can it still be an SBR because of sights or handstops? Or would the point system not apply?
Probably not, but it's the ATF, and just because the ATF or the law says something doesn't mean they hold to it.

For instance, I've seen AR a number of pistol buffer tubes with padding on them.  Could they claim a padded pistol buffer tube counts as a "stabilizing brace" because you can stabilize your arm against it?  If they did then Section II would come through just fine with 1 point and the Section III point system would apply.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2021, 11:56:36 AM »
That is a good question.  A bare buffer tube was legal before all this brace business started (with BATF approval). 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2021, 03:37:54 PM »
If only someone would link the actual proposed rule so people could read it and have an informed discussion instead of relying on gun channels and blogs whose revenue requires clicks.

All your questions could be answered.

;/

LOL  Cause obviously the ATF made the rules very clear and non-contradictory, and always follows its own rules in a common-sense fashion.  =)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2021, 03:40:57 PM »

As someone with a habit of only liking things after they’re not cool anymore, I judiciously waited until about a week ago to have any interest in AR pistols. (I guess, really, they’ll get much more popular now, since we have another gun salesman in the White House.) For some reason, building an AR that fits in a backpack just recently began to appeal to me. Not sure I’d end up carrying it anywhere other than the shooting range.

Anyway, I wasn’t planning to put a brace on it. But assuming the ATF really puts those new rules in place, and if I understand them correctly, the build I have in mind will still not add up to the sinister (and probably racist) 4 points, so I can feel free to add a tame, zero-point brace. Am I just a slacker?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2021, 03:50:01 PM »
I do not believe a zero point brace exists.  If it does, I am unaware of it.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2021, 04:06:53 PM »
Sorry. I meant 2-point brace.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2021, 04:35:43 PM »
Well it goes without saying you are a slacker.

It is theoretically possible that you could make a legal braced pistol (there's an example even). I do agree with the community's belief that the point of this whole thing is to make it so confusing and sketchy that no one will even try.  If the rule passes exactly as proposed I suspect we will see identical weapons get different scores in short order as people submit samples.

I can tell you none of my AR pistols will be legal as they currently are. I haven't decided what I will do with them if it goes forward. I may register a lower or two.  We'll see.

IMO, getting an AR pistol into the legal category will remove most of it's usefulness as a weapon.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2021, 04:57:27 PM »
I can tell you none of my AR pistols will be legal as they currently are. I haven't decided what I will do with them if it goes forward. I may register a lower or two.  We'll see.
Same here.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2021, 10:48:06 PM »
Palmetto State Armory is selling AR pistols with 10” barrels in .223 for $499.  Wonder if they’re clearing out inventory just in case.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2021, 12:32:13 PM »
I've got one of those 50 buck Anderson lowers lying around. I might get one of these PSA pistol deals. I'd been wanting to do another PSA build anyway, but their prices during crazy time didn't seem that great. If they are having some kind of fire sale on  AR pistols, I think I might bite. Come and get me, copper.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2021, 12:33:53 PM »
I've got one of those 50 buck Anderson lowers lying around. I might get one of these PSA pistol deals. I'd been wanting to do another PSA build anyway, but their prices during crazy time didn't seem that great. If they are having some kind of fire sale on  AR pistols, I think I might bite. Come and get me, copper Revenuer.

FTFY.

Puts them in their proper context.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2021, 12:45:46 PM »
FTFY.

Puts them in their proper context.

Fair point.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."