Author Topic: A new small pickup: the Ford Maverick  (Read 1729 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
A new small pickup: the Ford Maverick
« on: June 08, 2021, 09:04:34 AM »
https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/08/success/ford-maverick-little-pickup-truck/index.html?utm_source=optzlynewmarketribbon

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/maverick/2022/2022-ford-maverick-compact-pickup-truck-first-look-review/

This looks like it would be perfect for someone in the city or suburbs who needs to make Home Depot runs and the like but still wants to park in the office building downtown.  I will also be interested to see when the Hyundai Santa Cruz hits the market.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: A new small pickup: the Ford Maverick
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 09:18:56 AM »
Looks like a scaled-down Honda Ridgeline.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 09:39:20 AM »
I read something on CNBC that one version of it, a hybrid, will get 40 mpg and start at 20k.

OK, this says that it comes standard as a hybrid... https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/08/fords-new-maverick-hybrid-pickup-starts-at-19995-and-gets-40-mpg.html
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 09:42:46 AM »
This statement, however, is wrong.

"The name Maverick is not new to Ford. It produced a two-door sedan with that name from 1969 to 1979."

The Maverick came in both 2 AND 4 door versions. I had a 2 door, a friend of mine had a 4 door.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 10:20:05 AM »
This statement, however, is wrong.

"The name Maverick is not new to Ford. It produced a two-door sedan with that name from 1969 to 1979."

The Maverick came in both 2 AND 4 door versions. I had a 2 door, a friend of mine had a 4 door.

My older sister had a Maverick "Grabber" in the late '70s. Mom and dad pretty much bought it for her. Wasn't a bad little car when she got it but she drove it like it was a stolen rented mule. Of course she pretty much drove anything she was in like that and just expected dad or me or our brother to fix what ever she managed to tear up.
Don't know what ever became of that little car. She managed to lose it. And, by lose it I mean she doesn't know what happened to it or where it went either. I kind of suspect her doper husband sold it or traded it for drugs but one never knows.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 10:34:55 AM »
The hybrid version will be FWD only.  Not good, IMO. 

On the other hand, there will be a non-hybrid turbo version with 250 hp, 277 lb-ft of torque, and AWD.  Now we're talkin'.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 10:55:08 AM »
Reminds me more of the old Chevy S-10 but with a short bed.  Looks okay even if the styling is more plain.  The turbo version sounds interesting.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 11:43:02 AM »
Looks like a Ridgeline or an Avalanche.  Not really pickups in my view as the beds are too small to haul anything practical.
Maybe one could classify this style as an "urban truck" or something.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2021, 11:50:44 AM »
Looks like a Ridgeline or an Avalanche.  Not really pickups in my view as the beds are too small to haul anything practical.
Maybe one could classify this style as an "urban truck" or something.

Still looks better than the Tesla truck. Unless I'm missing something, that one id going to be an urban/sport truck. Maybe throw camping gear or something in it, but you're not doing much lumber hauling. Actually not in the Maverick either, unless it comes in an extended or regular cab as well. That quad cab takes up all the bed space. Though maybe the reserved the Ranger as the small "workin' man's truck".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 11:53:22 AM »
The body appears to be all one unit like the Ridgeline or the Subaru Baja.  Purists will expect a "true" pickup to have a separate cargo box.

Speaking of which, Subaru will be replacing the Baja with a new design:
https://newbesttrucks.com/2021-subaru-pickup-truck/

- Barack Obama

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 12:42:26 PM »
From the articles I have read, the Maverick is not aimed toward the work/serious hauling/serious towing truck owner.  This is for someone getting plants at Home Depot, towing the jetskis to the lake, or putting the dirt bike/mountain bike in the bed and driving to the trailhead.  I bet they will sell a lot.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2021, 01:42:34 PM »
I bet they will sell a lot.

If they make good on the promised starting price of $20K, they probably will.
                         - Barack Obama

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2021, 03:45:14 PM »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2021, 03:57:48 PM »
If they make good on the promised starting price of $20K, they probably will.

That price could be a big selling point. I'm not really up on it all, but it seems the "stripped" (not including stuff like AC, which seems standard nowadays) vehicles just don't really exist anymore. I don't know if that's through automaker research or just plain lack of buyer interest.

My very first new vehicle was a 1986 Jeep Comanche. Four banger, 4 speed manual, PS, PB, and that was it. I'm pretty sure I still remember the price - $7666. I drove it for 15 years. Certainly as I got older and was making more money, I wanted something nicer and got it, but still kept the Jeep as my beater truck.

It would be nice for a lot of people who often get themselves into too much car to have options for inexpensive, dependable, and utilitarian vehicles. Though I'm guessing the culture has shifted to where everyone wants the fancy car right off the bat. For me, I thought that the Comanche was a great way to have a new, warrantied vehicle where I was the guy maintaining it from day one vs getting a fancier used vehicle.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2021, 04:00:13 PM »
^^^My first new vehicle was a 1986 Mazda B-2000 two door pickup truck.  I was able to do much of the maintenance myself.  I would very possibly still have it but for the neighborhood youth who was racing on a residential street, lost control, and smashed into my truck, totalling it.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2021, 04:50:17 PM »
I thought the base model vehicles have been affected by increases crash and emissions standards. 

My truck is a short bed Tacoma.  It is likely about the same size.  I don't haul lumber or other big stuff, but if I have to pick up a dishwater or other bulky stuff I can do that without worrying about delivery.  My bed has a cover also so I can throw all my range gear and guns back there and not worry about it.  And yes, it is much more maneuverable than my old F-150.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2021, 05:34:07 PM »
Reminds me more of the old Chevy S-10 but with a short bed.  Looks okay even if the styling is more plain.  The turbo version sounds interesting.
\

Looks more like an Explorer SporTrac
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2021, 10:48:07 PM »
Sooner or later someone is going to make a "minimalist" pickup truck. Bedliner on the floor, bench seat, a hole if you want to install a radio.

And that sucker will SELL.
Blog under construction

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2021, 10:53:21 PM »
The hybrid version will be FWD only.  Not good, IMO. 

On the other hand, there will be a non-hybrid turbo version with 250 hp, 277 lb-ft of torque, and AWD.  Now we're talkin'.

Most people that buy a pickup never fully use them or even get the tires muddy. Well unless they drop a tire off the pavement.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2021, 11:01:16 PM »
A new "Model-T" will sell. Consider that most of the folks who are making decisions around introducing new vehicles, etc., are likely making close to six figures, they are not considering that there are a LOT of people who make a lot less. When lower income folks can buy a new vehicle for less than what the decision makers would even consider for a used car, then there will be a sea change.

Volkswagen today thinks that it is a sportier Mercedes... Fill the hole left by the original Bug.
Blog under construction

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2021, 04:16:34 AM »
And yet, the Honda Fit, Nissan Versa, Chevy Spark, Kia Rio, and the like don't sell all that well.

A Model T was $850 in 1908. The inflation calculator tells me that is about $24,800 in 2021.  There's  plenty of sub $25k new cars, and while they trickle off lots, they aren't the sellers you would think.

I suspect your hypothesis is flawed.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2021, 06:30:48 AM »
Cheap, basic cars don't sell well in the US.  Everyone wants all the trimmings all the time.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2021, 07:51:28 AM »
Our delivery fleet has Nissan Versas for some of the newer vehicles. I _hate_ Ford Rangers - they were designed with someone 5'5" in mind.

Look at the Kia Soul - that has sold pretty darn well.
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2021, 08:15:39 AM »
And yet, the Honda Fit, Nissan Versa, Chevy Spark, Kia Rio, and the like don't sell all that well.

A Model T was $850 in 1908. The inflation calculator tells me that is about $24,800 in 2021.  There's  plenty of sub $25k new cars, and while they trickle off lots, they aren't the sellers you would think.

I suspect your hypothesis is flawed.
IMO, that is for tiny little cars.  Pickups are a bit different.  I am not saying they will sell huge, but I think they will sell better than the little cars. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2021, 08:34:14 AM »
IMO, that is for tiny little cars.  Pickups are a bit different.  I am not saying they will sell huge, but I think they will sell better than the little cars.

I guess it would depend on demographics. As I said, I have no idea of the wants of the current demographics for whom a simple, inexpensive, car or truck would be a practical investment.

In my case back in the stone age, the small (called mid-sized at the time) Comanche was a good choice for a young buck working in the oil fields. I used it as both a work truck and camping vehicle. I also recall the small trucks were really popular in that time.  Tastes and expectations change, and it seems in the present, no one will touch a new vehicle without an infotainment system, among other "luxuries".

Most local dealers have base trucks like F150s available for commercial / fleet use. I've not looked to see what "base" includes in those trucks these days.