Author Topic: Jeremy Clarkson, Gentleman Farmer  (Read 2423 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Jeremy Clarkson, Gentleman Farmer
« on: June 11, 2021, 11:42:14 PM »
It turns out that Jeremy Clarkson owns a beautiful 1000 acre farm in a very scenic part of England.  The gentleman that was running his farm retired last year.  Clarkson, in his inimitable way, decided that he can run the farm.  After all, how hard can it be.  Especially after he buys a Lamborghini R7 tractor.  Yes, there is hilarity.  And some hard lessons.
Season 1 of "Clarkson's Farm" is an original series airing now on Amazon Prime.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: Jeremy Clarkson, Gentleman Farmer
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 02:27:59 AM »
 [popcorn]

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 08:00:13 AM »
Watched the first two episodes last night.  Laughed out loud a bunch.  Clarkson knows how to entertain.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 11:21:42 AM »
"Sheep are not a good business decision"

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 01:48:45 PM »
Oohhh, gonna have to watch that.

I love Jeremy Clarkson.  :rofl:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 01:32:00 AM »
I grew up on farms.

ZOMG, but that tractor scares me.
Blog under construction

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 11:42:20 AM »
I grew up on farms.

It's too big.  :rofl:

I binged it all yesterday. Great stuff. A somewhat softer side of Jeremy Clarkson, but it just shows why I've liked him so much. He's a big ahole, but with a heart.

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 01:04:21 PM »
It's too big.  :rofl:

I binged it all yesterday. Great stuff. A somewhat softer side of Jeremy Clarkson, but it just shows why I've liked him so much. He's a big ahole, but with a heart.

As the series progresses, the program is drifting away from its comedic reality show beginnings and showing how important farming has become to Clarkson.  He is certainly becoming more serious about everything related to it.  And his interactions with the farm staff are showing a more human side of him.
It still has its funny moments where Clarkson comes up with one of his brilliant, impractical or unworkable ideas.  He still crashes and burns for the camera on occasion.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2021, 01:42:34 PM »
I grew up on farms.

Didn't know Lamborghini made tractors.  They looks like typical modern farm tractors one sees around here.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2021, 02:08:46 PM »
Didn't know Lamborghini made tractors.  They looks like typical modern farm tractors one sees around here.

Yep, the tractor business came first (1948 according to Wiki). 

There is a (probably false) story that Ferruccio Lamborghini's decision to build sports cars was motivated in part by rude treatment he received from a Ferrari dealer.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2021, 08:42:50 PM »
I just watched the first two. As a half-assed farmer myself, I appreciate his predicaments.  :laugh:

I like that he mentioned that Amazon insisted he make the show diverse, but that all there was at the equipment auction was 60 year-old white guys.  :rofl:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2021, 11:45:21 PM »
In the final episode of season 1, Jeremy gets reacquainted with his Diddly Squat Fast Response Vehicle.  He gets to drive something other than farm equipment.  Pretty cool for a couple of minutes.

Here is the review I gave Clarkson's Farm on Amazon.  (Reviews are currently running at 97% five stars on Amazon, and 9.3/10 on IMDB.)

I've seen Jeremy Clarkson in both the Top Gear and The Grand Tour programs. He has always come across as an irreverent, comedic jerk. That persona has worked for him in both of those programs because he is cast opposite his friends James May and Richard Hammond. They play off of each other in a marvelous fashion, making for some very enjoyable television.
Now Clarkson has bought a farm, and Amazon has made a reality TV series out of his trying to operate it successfully. Honestly, I didn't really expect the program to be very good. Clarkson is completely out of his element, knowing zip about farming, one of the most difficult professions on the planet. He does battle with the weather, outrageous British laws and regulations, recalcitrant sheep, thieving otters, stinging honey bees, and crops that he knows nothing about growing.
He performs honest physical labor day in and day out, makes difficult and sometimes agonizing decisions, struggles incessantly with nasty surprises brought about by his lack of knowledge, and yet finds real joy in what he is doing.
The supporting cast are real people doing the real jobs necessary to run the farm, and Jeremy surprisingly seeks out their advice and respects their knowledge. We are seeing a completely different side of Clarkson, one much different from that portrayed on Top Gear and The Grand Tour.
Clarkson's Farm is at times funny, irreverent, serious, poignant, sad, triumphant and joyful. It is great television, and I genuinely hope Amazon signs on for a second season.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 12:53:13 AM by RocketMan »

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2021, 01:39:09 AM »
When I was a kid, the adults worried that we had named The Steer.

We named it "T-Bone."

Farm kids know about things that city people likely would have nightmares over... I wish I had our old sharpening wheel - hand cranked, about 24-30" in diameter, 4" across...
Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2021, 01:51:41 AM »
Oh, and I don't like sheep, or mutton, a whole lot either.

Pigs were okay when someone else raised them. We'd trade beef for pork.
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2021, 10:23:43 AM »
I'm on episode five, and holy crap, man - how do you get anything done in Britain? It appears you need government permission to open your front door and take a step outside.

I can't believe Clarkson is anti-Brexit. You would think he'd be for it, dealing with all the EU crap.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2021, 11:17:12 AM »
I'm on episode five, and holy crap, man - how do you get anything done in Britain? It appears you need government permission to open your front door and take a step outside.

I can't believe Clarkson is anti-Brexit. You would think he'd be for it, dealing with all the EU crap.

Clarkson is a big Francofile.  He has a house or two in France.  Brexit probably hurts his travel.

griz

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2021, 01:23:37 PM »
Watched the first episode last night.  I was a little put off by his genuine surprise that there are skills involved in farming, but it's still a funny show.  I even felt a tiny bit sorry for him for picking the year with biblical flooding to start learning.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2021, 01:46:35 PM »
I was a little put off by his genuine surprise that there are skills involved in farming, but it's still a funny show.

Most of that is part of his schtick. 

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2021, 05:26:28 PM »
Just watched the first episode.

I liked it, the wife was not so into it because she doesn't like how Clarkson comes across.

She didn't like him on TG either and for the same reason.

I had to keep explaining to her that the arrogant, loud-mouthed, know-it-all incompetent is a character. And that we're supposed to learn from him.

His doing it so obviously wrong gets us invested in wanting to see it done right. That way we learn something while laughing at this total goof-ball.

On TG it was James May who was the sensible, competent one on this show it's Caleb.

And Caleb is magnificent. At 21 he is vastly more skilled and useful than the majority of the population of any age group.

The world would get along fine without people like Clarkson, but we'd all die real quick if it wasn't for folks like Caleb.

My wife does like Caleb so she'll keep watching so she can watch him.

So we're in for the whole run of the season.

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2021, 09:43:39 PM »
I just finished watching the final episode. I was cracking up at the Goodfella's reenactment at the beginning.  :rofl:

It was overall a fun series to watch. I have had a heck of a time finding anything new that I want to watch these days, so thanks for the recommendation, Rocketman. If you hadn't posted about it here, I likely would have never seen it.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2021, 01:04:41 AM »
You are welcome, Ben.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2021, 01:51:54 AM »
Well, so far while y'all watched everything, I watched dinnertime...

I enjoyed the hell out of some roosters, and I don't really like chicken.

Maybe I'm slow.
Blog under construction

griz

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2021, 09:37:05 AM »
Just watched Sheeping.  I liked the sheep drone even though it wasn't the best answer.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2021, 12:58:29 AM »
My wife and I just finished the series. Apparently there will be a second series. We think Kaleb should have a spinoff.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2021, 10:30:36 AM »
On the recommendation of APS I gave it a shot.  I'm 4 episodes in and I'm enjoying it.

Kaleb is definitely one of my favorite characters.