Author Topic: I used to have a home theater  (Read 673 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
I used to have a home theater
« on: June 12, 2021, 12:23:32 AM »
And it kicked ass.

(is that gonna get bleeped?)

And I used to love watching movies. Good movies, bad movies, movies that required a minimum of a six-pack to become a good movie... Whatever.

Then I fell in love, and a lot of y'all know how that worked out... And I got out of watching movies...

So... I'm TRYING to watch movies again. Right now, looking for stuff that blows up real good, but not too serious. Please bear with me.
Blog under construction

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: I used to have a home theater
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 10:33:41 AM »
Have you seen the John Wick movies?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 12:04:17 PM »
Yeah.

Seems like so much stuff out there is basically just comic books...
Blog under construction

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 12:06:54 PM »
Yeah.

Seems like so much stuff out there is basically just comic books...

Or terrible remakes: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1289401/

I've pretty much quit watching movies
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 12:30:04 PM »
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2021, 12:36:17 PM »
And it kicked ass.

And I used to love watching movies. Good movies, bad movies, movies that required a minimum of a six-pack to become a good movie... Whatever.

Then I fell in love, and a lot of y'all know how that worked out... And I got out of watching movies...

So... I'm TRYING to watch movies again. Right now, looking for stuff that blows up real good, but not too serious. Please bear with me.

Well, if they ever get around to making the Seveneves movie.   Moon blows up.  I'm sure they can waste a half hour's special effects on something that happens in the first paragraph sentence of the book.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 09:13:20 AM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2021, 01:47:03 PM »
Shift out of movies. With all the streaming services out there, there are some really good T.V. shows.

Amazon Prime alone will get you The Boys, Good Omens, The Expanse, Carnival Row and The Grand Tour (which is a hoot) High Production, quality and really really good.

Netflix- Altered Carbon (the first season, anyway) The Witcher and a few others.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2021, 02:24:21 PM »
Shift out of movies. With all the streaming services out there, there are some really good T.V. shows.

Amazon Prime alone will get you The Boys, Good Omens, The Expanse, Carnival Row and The Grand Tour (which is a hoot) High Production, quality and really really good.

Netflix- Altered Carbon (the first season, anyway) The Witcher and a few others.

Amazon is in the process of buying MGM.  When the purchase is complete, Amazon will own the complete MGM film and TV library.  Of course, Amazon will also have access to MGM studios.  That will shake things up a bit.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2021, 02:46:53 PM »
I got out of wired TV and into Over The Air With wun uh them antoonies.  Good stuff. Even some purely movie channels. I hate to say this, but I'm beginning to prefer older movies, which did not sound and look like soap operas. I think Directors have forgot how to direct, and form a good story without "filling" it to fit an hour's worth of screen time. No more actress staring wistfully at the sky for ten or fifteen seconds while the orchestra plays slow piano-bar music.

Do I have time to puke while she stares wistfully?

Oh, and cars.  Introduction, car driving along city and country roads for a full minute.  Part of the story setting, I suppose, but I sometimes fail to see the dramatic or story-filling content of that.

And great half-hour shows, some not my favorites, but once again, not designed to drag out the plot for the sake of the clock... and the advertising dollars.

Unplug your cable, stick a longish wire in that jack, set up for "Over The Air" and try it.  Even without a "pro" antenna, you're bound to pick up a couple of local "OTA" channels to get a feel for it.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2021, 03:45:40 PM »
That will shake things up a bit.

If nothing else, we can expect classic MGM movies to be stealth edited for political correctness. I should make sure that I buy the DVDs for any movies I like from the 30's-40s produced or owned by MGM.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2021, 12:59:09 AM »
I have been trying to avoid "free" television for a bit... Because every so often, one of the local stations does a "how it's made" marathon, and... I find out that I'm half naked, wearing kleenex boxes for shoes, and eating the stuff from the back of the refrigerator when the alarm tells me that it's time to go back to work.
Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2021, 01:00:02 AM »
I shall try The Raid.

Most of the television shows just bore me... I dunno...
Blog under construction

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2021, 09:26:40 AM »
Raw Deal
Cobra

No idea if they're streaming anywhere.

Also, if you can find it, Howard Goodall's Big Bangs. Anthology exploring the history of all things Music. Really good.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2021, 09:38:51 AM »
If you want something really bad enough to be almost good try "Willy's Wonderland" with Nicholas Cage. Cage's dialogue in that is perhaps his best to date.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2021, 12:20:59 PM »
Bad movies with interesting actors and dialogue...

Look up a thing called Hell Ride... Tarantino was one of the producers. Billed as his Biker Film Homage... Actually not all that bad.
Blog under construction