Main Forums > The Mess Hall

Are there any palatable dried eggs?

(1/4) > >>

Hawkmoon:
I don't eat eggs on a regular basis, and it seems since the advent of COVID-19 that when I feel like buying eggs, the local stupidmarket doesn't have any brown eggs in stock. So buying and stocking powdered eggs might be a solution.

Except that we used to get powdered eggs when I was in Vietnam and they were rather horrible, so my inclination is to view them with a great deal of skepticism. Does anyone have recent experience with any powdered or freeze-dried egg products that are decent?

230RN:
"Palatability" is subjective, and I love to poke into the yolk of a bacon and eggs breakfast, but of late a reasonable sub has been those liquid eggs in a quart container.

I pour the liquid eggs over a pair of sausage patties, spray some olive oil over them, sprinkle a  little oregano and basil over  them, and put a half slice of American cheese over it all.  Slightly less than 2 minutes in the µ-wave does the trick.

Now nobody ever said Ecole Cuisine d' Terry was the best eatin' in the world, but that combinaion is so fast and "acceptably palatable," that I hereby suggest those liquid eggs.

Still, nothin' beats pokin' that yolk and watchin' it flow over the bacon or sausages and soppin' it up with those home fried pertooties, I'll testify.

Oops !  Noon!  Lunchtime! Then a nap!

Terry, 230RN

Ben:
I use Auguson Farms for my zombie apocolypse supplies and have sampled some of their food that I have stored, including the powdered eggs. I find them good for powdered eggs - better than the Mountain House stuff I have had backpacking.

I have also tried Wild Roots whole egg powder, which I got at Costco during the covid when one of the few things I almost ran out on was eggs. I have tried it too, and find it quite palatable. It  also comes in smaller packets, vs an Auguson Farms #10 tin.

That said, wouldn't white fresh eggs be better than powdered eggs? My little grocery store rarely has brown eggs either. but I'll take white fresh eggs over powdered eggs any day.

Hawkmoon:

--- Quote from: Ben on June 12, 2021, 02:15:44 PM ---
That said, wouldn't white fresh eggs be better than powdered eggs? My little grocery store rarely has brown eggs either. but I'll take white fresh eggs over powdered eggs any day.

--- End quote ---

Yes, they would -- except ...

The white eggs don't seem to keep as long as brown eggs and I have had occasions even with brown eggs when I didn't use a full dozen before they went bad. So I'm willing (I think -- at least until I've tried it) to sacrifice a bit of taste to shelf life. I used to have the same problem with milk. When I bought a quart, I often ran out. When I bought a half gallon, I often had to throw out at least a pint because it went past the expiration date. When my daughter insisted that she's lactose intolerant and I started buying lactose-free milk, I discovered that the shelf life on that is generally at least six weeks (as opposed to maybe six days for regular 2% milk). So I now buy store-brand lactose-free milk even though my daughter isn't living at home, and I never have to throw out part of an unfinished container.

Ben:

--- Quote from: Hawkmoon on June 12, 2021, 06:24:46 PM ---Yes, they would -- except ...

The white eggs don't seem to keep as long as brown eggs and I have had occasions even with brown eggs when I didn't use a full dozen before they went bad. So I'm willing (I think -- at least until I've tried it) to sacrifice a bit of taste to shelf life. I used to have the same problem with milk. When I bought a quart, I often ran out. When I bought a half gallon, I often had to throw out at least a pint because it went past the expiration date. When my daughter insisted that she's lactose intolerant and I started buying lactose-free milk, I discovered that the shelf life on that is generally at least six weeks (as opposed to maybe six days for regular 2% milk). So I now buy store-brand lactose-free milk even though my daughter isn't living at home, and I never have to throw out part of an unfinished container.

--- End quote ---

I had the same problem with the milk, and APS recommended ultra-pasteurized, so that is what I buy now. Though it is more expensive, I'm saving money versus tossing out sour milk. Not to mention when I had the covid smell loss I didn't have to worry about accidently drinking sour milk that I  couldn't smell.

I bought milk yesterday and just checked the "buy before" date, and it's 08JUL, so almost a month. It usually takes me a couple of weeks to go through a half gallon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version