Author Topic: Microsoft is going to stick it to us again  (Read 3071 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Microsoft is going to stick it to us again
« on: June 15, 2021, 04:30:33 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-57443598

TL;DR Windows 10, which was going to be the last version of Windows, will be killed off as of October 2025.

I think it's time for me to explore Linux. I have an old Dell desktop computer I can use as a test bed. What are the current flavors of Linux that are the most popular and easiest to work with (in terms of printer support, etc.)? Which look the most Windows-like (preferably like Windows XP, or maybe Windows 7)?

Can I start playing with them by running them from a DVD or thumb drive?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jim147

• friends
Re: Microsoft is going to stick it to us again
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 04:35:18 PM »
I'm going to Mint soon. Yes you can run it as a test from a stick.

Besides Raspbian I've not messed with Linux in a few years so not sure what the current GUI's look like.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 04:47:55 PM »
Mint is the linux version most people recommend.

As far as Windows going to v11 not sure why you think MS is sticking it to us, 10 years (2015-2025) is a good run for an OS considering how fast tech is advancing. Most Linux versions change every few years. In just what 5 years? Mint has gone from v18 to 20.1 and support for 18 ended this year.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 04:55:13 PM »
As far as Windows going to v11 not sure why you think MS is sticking it to us, 10 years (2015-2025) is a good run for an OS considering how fast tech is advancing. Most Linux versions change version every few years. In just what 5 years? Mint has gone from v18 to 20.1.

I think what he means is that Win10 will now be the last version of Windows period. No more desktop OS. The next OS (Azure?)will be in the cloud, like Chrome, if what I have read is correct.

If that's the case, I'll likely be migrating to Linux full time whenever win10 support ends, which should be a ways past 2025. I'm anti-cloud [Boomer!].
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 05:20:32 PM »
Linux is great, and I've used it exclusively for my workstations for well over ten years now.  But, based on your other computer posts on this board, I do not see this going well.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 05:37:15 PM »
I think what he means is that Win10 will now be the last version of Windows period. No more desktop OS. The next OS (Azure?)will be in the cloud, like Chrome, if what I have read is correct.

If that's the case, I'll likely be migrating to Linux full time whenever win10 support ends, which should be a ways past 2025. I'm anti-cloud [Boomer!].

Mostly what I'm hearing in channels it's that it will be largely a major interface rework and that people are running wild with rumors. Could be wrong though.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 05:37:53 PM »
Linux is great, and I've used it exclusively for my workstations for well over ten years now.  But, based on your other computer posts on this board, I do not see this going well.

I wasn't going there  :rofl:
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 06:00:15 PM »
I wasn't going there  :rofl:

We'll teach him to code... what could go wrong?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2021, 09:32:16 PM »
Possible W11 leak
Take with a boulder of salt

Windows 11 Screenshots leaked and ISO leak with build 21996 June 15th 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwSOYGro5Xg
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2021, 10:30:13 PM »

As far as Windows going to v11 not sure why you think MS is sticking it to us, 10 years (2015-2025) is a good run for an OS considering how fast tech is advancing. Most Linux versions change every few years. In just what 5 years? Mint has gone from v18 to 20.1 and support for 18 ended this year.

Microsoft has a track record of alternating really horrible versions of Windoze with fairly tolerable versions. Windows 10 hasn't been horrible, so anything that replaces it is virtually guaranteed to be bad. Aside from which, Microsoft still hasn't learned, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10x

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2021, 10:48:42 PM »
OSs have to keep up with hardware and software developments and band aid fixes can only go so far in keeping up before something major breaks. Yes it can be infuriating at times and sometimes they screw up but I'm not holding my breath on hardware and software developments staying static for 20-30 years. There are times I'm amazed how well MS has done in making an OS work on dozens of brands of computers made a 1k different ways. Even Linux has had to go through major version changes to keep up. Apple gets away with it by only needing to worry about their OS working on only their computers but even they have to completely revamp the OS from time to time and even the great and mighty Apple sometimes screws that up.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 11:23:05 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2021, 11:42:57 PM »
OSs have to keep up with hardware and software developments and band aid fixes can only go so far in keeping up before something major breaks. Yes it can be infuriating at times and sometimes they screw up but I'm not holding my breath on hardware and software developments staying static for 20-30 years. There are times I'm amazed how well MS has done in making an OS work on dozens of brands of computers made a 1k different ways. Even Linux has had to go through major version changes to keep up. Apple gets away with it by only needing to worry about their OS working on only their computers but even they have to completely revamp the OS from time to time and even the great and mighty Apple sometimes screws that up.

Alright, that's enough with the facts. Knock that off!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2021, 11:56:58 PM »
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 12:13:58 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2021, 02:53:36 AM »
Deleted as not befitting a polite gentleman.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 06:17:58 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2021, 09:41:41 AM »
More on that "W11" "leak"

Windows 11 Leaked - Let's Explore It! (Build 21996.1 Overview & Demo)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni2Bl6O07nA
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2021, 02:00:40 PM »
Mostly what I'm hearing in channels it's that it will be largely a major interface rework and that people are running wild with rumors. Could be wrong though.

Ohhh, goody.  Just like the jump from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3.

"What could possibly go wrong?"
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2021, 02:17:39 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-57443598

TL;DR Windows 10, which was going to be the last version of Windows, will be killed off as of October 2025.

I think it's time for me to explore Linux. I have an old Dell desktop computer I can use as a test bed. What are the current flavors of Linux that are the most popular and easiest to work with (in terms of printer support, etc.)? Which look the most Windows-like (preferably like Windows XP, or maybe Windows 7)?

Mint Linux is what you want.  "Cinnamon Edition", 64 bit, on any remotely capable modern hardware. 

it comes up looking a lot like recent not-8 versions of Windows.  Launch/task bar across the bottom, start button thingee in the lower left corner, indicator applerts in the lower right.  Control panel like Settings area to configure all the usual stuff.  Windows Store equivalent for easily adding apps.

Going to that is really no more jarring (in terms of getting used to stuff) than going to Win 10 from Win 7.   IMHO&YMMV.

Printer support is pretty good, but research purchases first.

Can I start playing with them by running them from a DVD or thumb drive?

Yes

Microsoft has a track record of alternating really horrible versions of Windoze with fairly tolerable versions. Windows 10 hasn't been horrible, so anything that replaces it is virtually guaranteed to be bad. Aside from which, Microsoft still hasn't learned, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10x

With Windows 10 MS went to a semi-annual major release upgrade cycle, which is just like what Ubuntu has been doing for ages.  (And, just like Ubuntu, there's a Long Term Release version that tracks an older release, but keeps current with security.  Win 10 Enterprise LTR currently is 1809, I think.)  The nifty thing about this is, you can get pretty close to current in one fell swoop by using the current installer.    You don't have to nurse, like, 5 years of updates, servicing stack upgrades, etc.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 11:32:50 AM by lee n. field »

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2021, 02:18:53 PM »
Ohhh, goody.  Just like the jump from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3.

"What could possibly go wrong?"

Gnome 3 is when I just gave up on Gnome and went with xfce.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2021, 02:20:43 PM »
All this talk of new stuff, if you find something that works why not just stick with it, like me. I have no problems with the Win 98 I am running. ;) :)

bob

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2021, 02:21:27 PM »
Gnome 3 is when I just gave up on Gnome and went with xfce.

And I was so happy when the Mate desktop came out, which was a deliberate attempt to clone the Gnome 2 look and feel.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2021, 05:01:22 PM »
Mint Linux is what you want.  "Cinnamon Edition", 64 bit, on any remotely capable modern hardware. 

it comes up looking a lot like recent not-8 versions of Windows.  Launch/task bar across the bottom, start button thingee in the lower left corner, indicator applerts in the lower right.  Control panel like Settings area to configure all the usual stuff.

Going to that is really no more jarring (in terms of getting used to stuff) than going to Win 10 from Win 7.   IMHO&YMMV.

Printer support is pretty good, but research purchases first.

Yes

With Windows 10 MS went to a semi-annual major release upgrade cycle, which is just like what Ubuntu has been doing for ages.  (And, just like Ubuntu, there's a Long Term Release version that tracks an older release, but keeps current with security.  Win 10 Enterprise LTR currently is 1809, I think.)  The nifty thing about this is, you can get pretty close to current in one fell swoop by using the current installer.    You don't have to nurse, like, 5 years of updates, servicing stack upgrades, etc.
Will those run older XP programs?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2021, 05:26:12 PM »
Will those run older XP programs?

Maybe. It's been a while since I ran Wine.

Having set up a few for non-computer people, Most have preferred the look of Cinnamon, but found Mate easier to use because everything is labelled.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2021, 06:42:15 PM »
Maybe. It's been a while since I ran Wine.

Having set up a few for non-computer people, Most have preferred the look of Cinnamon, but found Mate easier to use because everything is labelled.

Which one looks the most like Windows XP (or at least like Windows 7)?

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2021, 06:47:20 PM »
Which one looks the most like Windows XP (or at least like Windows 7)?

They are both very similar.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=linux+mint+screenshot&t=brave&iax=images&ia=images
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2021, 04:45:50 PM »
What about peripherals?  Printers, monitors, "office documents" (Word & Excel), media players, etc.?  Where do we find those drivers and programs, esp. for older hardware?
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”