Author Topic: Idaho: don't shoot my dog thinking it is a wolf  (Read 447 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Idaho: don't shoot my dog thinking it is a wolf
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 09:54:08 AM »
Malamute do look like wolves.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 09:59:15 AM »
From the story, the shooter supposedly shot a .44 with eyes closed. He also fired a shot into the air.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 10:24:46 AM »

Not if you've ever seen a wolf.

The real question is why shoot a wolf?  It's probably not being aggressive if it let you see it.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 10:29:49 AM »
The real question is why shoot a wolf?  It's probably not being aggressive if it let you see it.

Idaho DFG announced they are going to cut the wolf population by like 90% via hunting. The shooter could have been a redneck thinking he was helping out. Or, given that it was Blaine County, he could have been a commie liberal first time gun owner without any training.

EDIT: On the tangent, I should probably stop using "redneck" for redneck type people in Idaho. I think we're more like hillabillies than rednecks.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 10:31:27 AM »
Not if you've ever seen a wolf.

Decent chance he never had outside of on TV
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 10:33:26 AM »

Sort of -- but not to anyone who knows anything about dogs.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 10:40:43 AM »
Some people react funny at the sight of an animal, any animal. We get people who panic at the sight of a small super friendly 7lb cat in our yard. One woman actually took off running screaming as if she thought the cat was going to kill her. Hmm, 7lbs vs 200lbs.  For some reason never saw her walk pass our house again.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 11:27:36 AM »
There was an incident in CO recently when a raccoon got into an armored vehicle and caused panic among the soldiers in the vehicle.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2021, 11:29:19 AM »
From the linked story:

" . . . the dog wandered to a nearby campsite."

I like dogs. MOST are friendly. When they approach, it's usually just to say "hello" in their doggy way.

But this one phrase from the linked story does raise questions about the responsibility of the dog's owner.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2021, 04:46:03 PM »
When I was little, we had a couple of Keeshond dogs.  My mother put them in dog shows at one time.  If they got out of the house/yard, they would go running all over before coming back home.  One of them showed up dead on the side of the road nearby.  It was shot and someone had dragged it to the road not far away.  I don't know why someone would mistake it for a coyote, but I won't rule out that it got close to someone's chickens or livestock. 

For this story, I would have thought it was obvious if a wolf was approaching with intent to attack.  I don't know much about wolves.
β€œIt is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge