Author Topic: The US military is missing a lot of guns  (Read 1024 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
Re: The US military is missing a lot of guns
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 07:38:37 PM »
Still less than the ATF for that period.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 07:44:09 PM »
1900 in 10 years. That doesn't seem like a lot. ;)

bob

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 07:46:26 PM »
1900 over 10 years out of how many guns?
Wake me when someone robs a liquor store with an Abrams
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 08:26:02 PM »
1900 in 10 years. That doesn't seem like a lot. ;)

bob

This is a tip-of-the-iceberg type thing.

They'll admit that they've lost some guns, not a lot though. Then it will come up again and they'll say that yes we've lost some more guns but it's still not a lot.

And this will repeat until people no longer pay attention and stop caring. It'll drop out of the main news and but still be available to the public in some fashion and the military then can claim they've made a full disclosure about the issue.

Only if you add up all the missing weapons from all the stories or official announcements it will add up to a significant number of guns lost. Like a scary huge number. But few will care and the world will just keep spinnin'.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 08:50:56 PM »
Some of the missing may not be missing, paperwork is never 100%. When I retired I traipsed over to the armory to return my Colt 1911 and my Winchester built M14 that I used on the Rifle and Pistol team. They had no record of me having checked out those weapons 3 years earlier. So were they missing? Or were they not missing because they had no idea they were supposed to be there? Who knows, but I wish I had known they had no idea I had them before I took them back.

bob

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 08:58:03 PM »
Some of the missing may not be missing, paperwork is never 100%. When I retired I traipsed over to the armory to return my Colt 1911 and my Winchester built M14 that I used on the Rifle and Pistol team. They had no record of me having checked out those weapons 3 years earlier. So were they missing? Or were they not missing because they had no idea they were supposed to be there? Who knows, but I wish I had known they had no idea I had them before I took them back.

bob

I know a guy who knows a guy who worked in the armory, and had that same issue with a bunch of RCOs..   Gear adrift...
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 09:34:00 PM »
If it's not on the books can they prove it's missing? No they can't I've seen it before.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 07:27:44 PM »
Doesn't 1900 guns in ten years work out to about one lost gun every other day? That's kinda pathetic.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2021, 08:22:58 PM »
I actually know (roughly)  where one of those is.  Watched a guy trying to put an M2 in a mount on a boat have an oops back in 2013.

Good news is no one else has that weapon either, unless they have a JIM suit

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2021, 08:45:36 PM »
That Browning was drowning.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2021, 08:49:20 PM »
Doesn't 1900 guns in ten years work out to about one lost gun every other day? That's kinda pathetic.

Are you saying they should be able to lose guns at a faster rate?

griz

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2021, 09:05:03 PM »
How many guns does the entire US military have?  If it's only a million (I'm assuming it's a good bit more) then 190 a year isconly about 2 hundredths of one percent.  Most of those are stolen.  I'll be if you compared it to any law enforcement operation or any retail outlet that sells guns the military would look pretty good.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2021, 08:57:58 AM »
I am outraged by these facts.  I insist that the Military use more responsible storage methods.  They should immediately distribute these guns among the nation's gun collectors and gun owners who can properly keep track of them and care for them ....... and verify proper operation.  The oldest guns should be distributed first to avoid affecting use of current issue weapons.

[ar15] [ar15] [ar15] [ar15] =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2021, 12:19:48 PM »
The case of Spc. Vanessa Guillen getting killed at Ft. Hood raised some questions with me.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2020/07/02/missing-fort-hood-soldier-was-killed-in-armory-then-hacked-to-pieces-familys-attorney-says/

She was killed in an arms room.

As part of the case, it was revealed that her killer was seen wheeling a large Rubbermaid-type of tote out of the arms room and putting it in his personal vehicle. Said container was found partly burned by a river near where pieces of her body were buried.

The bigger issue that her body was obviously in there. But that aside, a guy known to be working an arms room, and in an area where the arms room was located was witnessed putting a large heavy plastic tote in his personal vehicle, and nobody stopped to wonder if they were full of M4's or whatnot?  ???
I promise not to duck.