Author Topic: Why Juneteenth?  (Read 2367 times)

Andiron

• friend
Re: Why Juneteenth?
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2021, 11:08:46 PM »
Black history month,  MLK Day, Juneteenth, Kwanza.  Why not just have a monthly manufactured celebration of blacks?   We've got memorials to George Floyd, I bet we can come up with enough bullshit to make this happen.  We don't even have to make new holidays,  just re badge existing ones...  Anyone remember Columbus day?

Burn it all down.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2021, 11:13:32 PM »
Juneteenth, just in time for Orange Crush at Jacksonville Beach.

You have to think an event may be concerning when you start emptying the local jail in anticipation of filing it up with party goers. What is Orange Crush you ask, well it is an event that was moved from Tybee Island to Jax Beach. Orange Crush Festival is a loosely organized 3-day beach weekend that draws a largely Black college-age crowd, many from the greater Atlanta area, according to the event's website.

Besides emptying the jail some local businesses are closing down because they can't "find staff to work", wink, wink.

https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/jacksonville-sheriffs-office-says-it-is-moving-inmates-out-jail-ahead-orange-crush/MXWWFHQPZ5EFHFHDBH5TEMAGYE/

And along comes the NAACP.

https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/jacksonville-sheriffs-office-says-it-is-moving-inmates-out-jail-ahead-orange-crush/MXWWFHQPZ5EFHFHDBH5TEMAGYE/

Happy Orange Crusheenth!!

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2021, 12:55:41 AM »
This is a lot like complaining that Christmas should be celebrated on some other day, because Jesus was likely not born on that specific date. It's a lot of complaining for no good reason.

The better question is, why haven't we had a national holiday to celebrate the end of slavery before now? Why did it take a pack of racist Democrats in 2020/2021 to do something that real anti-racists, real Americans should have done already?

And for what it's worth, the Emancipation Proclamation did not end slavery in America. If anyone was taught such, the teacher was confused. It only freed slaves in newly-retaken Confederate territory. Slavery was (legally) ended by a later amendment of the constitution.

It still doesn't make sense to base the holiday on the date when one holdout city finally got the word.

As a comparison, at the end of WW2 there were some Japanese units and individual soldiers on smaller islands throughout the Pacific who held out for some time after the war was officially ended. We don't celebrate the end of WW2 on the date when the last Japanese holdout finally surrendered (or was killed), we observe the date when the official document was signed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2021, 01:05:20 AM »
It still doesn't make sense to base the holiday on the date when one holdout city finally got the word.

As a comparison, at the end of WW2 there were some Japanese units and individual soldiers on smaller islands throughout the Pacific who held out for some time after the war was officially ended. We don't celebrate the end of WW2 on the date when the last Japanese holdout finally surrendered (or was killed), we observe the date when the official document was signed.

It made sense for the Texas state holiday.  (I think the proclamation affected the whole state not just Galveston)  A few other states and now the feds culturally appropriated it.  December 6 makes more sense for a national holiday (when the 13th Amendment was ratified,) OTOH June is a better time for a barbecue or fish-fry and watermelons are in season. :)
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2021, 01:44:43 AM »

I think you may be missing the historical context that people have been observing Juneteenth for over 150 years. And not because the date was significant to the entire country, but because it was very important to them, and to their descendants, and other people who wanted to celebrate with them. That's the kind of grassroots foundation, and tradition, and history, that makes a holiday meaningful, and not just another excuse to take the day off, and have corny sales gimmicks at all the furniture stores. (Not to say that won't happen to Juneteenth eventually. Or maybe, in Texas, it already has. Don't know)

If the U.S. government of 2021 is going to declare a holiday to observe the freeing of the slaves all over the country, I just don't think it makes sense to ignore everything the pre-existing, regional holiday has going for it, just so we can celebrate on a historically correct day from a history book, which no one knows about, because no one's ever celebrated it before. I don't see why we'd pass up that kind of authenticity.

To go back to the Christmas analogy, what if we found out that most Christians didn't celebrate Christmas until, say, 200 AD? And then we found out December 25th was chosen, because that was the day in 50 AD, when some church in an obscure corner of the world found out about Christ's virgin birth, and they've been celebrating Christmas on that date, ever since. The rest of the Christians liked the celebration, so they just joined in on the 25th, and so it is. I get that it's not a perfect comparison, because we don't know the date of Christ's birth, but we can find out the date of the thirteenth amendment abolition. In either case, do we really gain that much by ignoring an established tradition, or trying to move it to some more accurate date on the calendar? I don't think so.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2021, 08:32:01 AM »
You make a good point. Okay, I agree Perd, December 25th is a silly day to celebrate Christmas.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 09:14:29 AM by cordex »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2021, 10:09:13 AM »
You make a good point. Okay, I agree Perd, December 25th is a silly day to celebrate Christmas.

Christmas truthers - unite!!

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2021, 03:10:46 PM »
Juneteenth, just in time for Orange Crush at Jacksonville Beach.

You have to think an event may be concerning when you start emptying the local jail in anticipation of filing it up with party goers. What is Orange Crush you ask, well it is an event that was moved from Tybee Island to Jax Beach. Orange Crush Festival is a loosely organized 3-day beach weekend that draws a largely Black college-age crowd, many from the greater Atlanta area, according to the event's website.

Besides emptying the jail some local businesses are closing down because they can't "find staff to work", wink, wink.

And along comes the NAACP.

Happy Orange Crusheenth!!

bob

:police:

I'm not even from Florida and I know about Jacksonville..
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2021, 04:03:08 PM »

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2021, 12:13:13 AM »
Don't mind me if I do an "Ebenezer" about this - BAH !  HUMBUG !!  :old: >:D [barf]
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2021, 05:49:20 AM »
Don't mind me if I do an "Ebenezer" about this - BAH !  HUMBUG !!  :old: >:D [barf]

Which part do you bah and humbug?  The selected date of June 19th or the idea of celebrating an end to slavery?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2021, 12:04:50 PM »
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2021, 03:22:44 PM »
^^

That pretty neatly sums up all the liberal white women I know.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2021, 11:00:35 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2021, 11:51:37 PM »
Which part do you bah and humbug?  The selected date of June 19th or the idea of celebrating an end to slavery?

Both !
It is another case of pandering to a minority, much like "affirmative action".
  [barf]
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2021, 12:20:34 AM »
Both !
It is another case of pandering to a minority, much like "affirmative action".
  [barf]

The minority who disapprove of slavery? Yeah, screw those guys!  :rofl: