Author Topic: Bake Another Cake!  (Read 1088 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Bake Another Cake!
« on: June 16, 2021, 05:50:58 PM »
Masterpiece Cake Shop has been ordered by a Colorado court to bake another cake. This one to "celebrate gender reassignment".

As one of the comments said, is this guy the only baker in Colorado, or what? How does he not have some kind of harassment case against the state?

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/06/16/court-rules-that-owner-of-masterpiece-cakeshop-must-create-cakes-celebrating-sex-reassignment/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Bake Another Cake!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 06:00:10 PM »
Think they would force a tee shirt shop to print a Trump tee shirt if they refused?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 11:48:08 PM »
Once the prey is down, the wolves can start eating it to death.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 12:06:38 AM »
Masterpiece Cake Shop has been ordered by a Colorado court to bake another cake. This one to "celebrate gender reassignment".

As one of the comments said, is this guy the only baker in Colorado, or what? How does he not have some kind of harassment case against the state?

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/06/16/court-rules-that-owner-of-masterpiece-cakeshop-must-create-cakes-celebrating-sex-reassignment/

Has this not been to the Supreme Court yet?  I thought it had.  (I've not read the article, I assume the link description is reasonably accurate)  A plain cake is a commodity.  A decorated cake is a piece of art and protected by the 1st Amendment; seems like a slam-dunk case.  I don't think he has refused to bake an undecorated cake for anybody, just refuses to produce artwork celebrating their various perversions.  And I assume he doesn't expect or demand anyone celebrate whatever his sins are.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 12:48:32 AM »
Has this not been to the Supreme Court yet?  I thought it had.  (I've not read the article, I assume the link description is reasonably accurate)  A plain cake is a commodity.  A decorated cake is a piece of art and protected by the 1st Amendment; seems like a slam-dunk case.  I don't think he has refused to bake an undecorated cake for anybody, just refuses to produce artwork celebrating their various perversions.  And I assume he doesn't expect or demand anyone celebrate whatever his sins are.

He has been to the high court, but they're ruling was um, not exactly a full-throated defense of his right not to be press-ganged into service by roving packs of left-wing bigots. Which is why the roving packs of left-wing bigots are again attempting to press-gang him into service. cuz love is love, and diversity and stuff.

Oh, also according to some people that should know better, he asked for this, because he chose to be a baker. He should have known, all those years ago, that baking was a profession reserved for better and more open-minded people than he.

Being "open to the public" you see, must mean that one must do whatever one is asked to do, even if it's something everyone should know is morally wrong and a little stomach-turning.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 10:51:53 AM »
It's only a matter of time before some black-robed pervert in the judiciary orders a cake baked for NAMBLA.  :mad:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2021, 01:34:13 PM »
https://babylonbee.com/news/federal-judge-rules-that-jewish-baker-must-make-death-to-israel-cake-for-arab-customer
Ordinarily I like Babalyon Bee articles but that one fell flat.  I think the problem was that it completely lacked absurdity.  Their articles are usually funny because they're a step or two beyond where our society currently is, which illustrates the ludicrous nature of the direction we are going.  There is nothing even slightly preposterous about a woke judge forcing a Jewish baker to make a Death to Israel cake.  That could happen tomorrow and it would barely register.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2021, 01:41:01 PM »
Ordinarily I like Babalyon Bee articles but that one fell flat.  I think the problem was that it completely lacked absurdity.  Their articles are usually funny because they're a step or two beyond where our society currently is, which illustrates the ludicrous nature of the direction we are going.  There is nothing even slightly preposterous about a woke judge forcing a Jewish baker to make a Death to Israel cake.  That could happen tomorrow and it would barely register.

I think the punchline was the part about no lawyer would take the case because he's Jewish.  (agreed, not very funny, but a little bit)
"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2021, 01:58:37 PM »
Perhaps someone should start a kickstarter to buy this baker a Komatsu bulldozer....