Author Topic: USB rechargeable flashlights  (Read 1609 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
USB rechargeable flashlights
« on: June 18, 2021, 10:46:15 AM »
Anyone have any thoughts on them? Anyone have one?

I have one of the fairly high-power 18650 battery flashlights in my car but I often forget to recharge the battery. It would be nice to be able to keep it plugged in and topping off when I'm driving.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: USB rechargeable flashlights
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 10:53:59 AM »
I have a  few of them.   Most seem pretty decent.  I have a small Surefire with a diode that's green when charged and turns yellow when weak,  which is a good idea.

They are good around the house.  For camping,  or other scenarios where recharging is not available, I think regular battery powered lights would be more practical. 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 10:56:13 AM »
I have an Olight that is rechargeable via USB.  It wasn't cheap but I'm happy with it. 
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 10:56:44 AM »
Not looking for a camping flashlight, just something to keep in the car in a state that will most likely to be charged when I need it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 11:01:35 AM »
Yeah, not looking to spend nearly that much...

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2021, 11:10:45 AM »
I have one of the larger Olights that USB rechargeable lights in my truck.  I don't think they sell that model anymore.  I don't use it much.  A few times a year.  I put it on the charger occasionally, but it still works well.  The most I have used it the last couple of years is when we shoot fireworks.  It lights up the little parachutes very well.   

I have a smaller Olight I keep in the truck more recently.  It is one of the little ones that take an AA or AAA.  No recharging.  It is just more convenient and won't blind you if you just want to read something. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2021, 11:21:13 AM »
I have a couple of Fenix ones.  One is a TK20R that I bought in 2019 and the other one is a PD36R that I got for my wife in 2020. They were about $125 retail, but it helps that I do business with the police equipment store so I get them about 1/2 price. Both are compact, about 6" long and put out enough light to scare coyotes away out to about 500 yards.

In the truck I just keep a good lithium light.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2021, 11:25:14 AM »
I bought this one a few years ago for working under the vehicles:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014ITIW76/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's cheap, bright, and charges via USB. I don't charge it often or use it much but I've had no issues with it.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2021, 11:51:24 AM »
Not looking for a camping flashlight, just something to keep in the car in a state that will most likely to be charged when I need it.

I have an OLIGHT Seeker 2 that chargers with a USB cable.  It uses a proprietary 21700 lithium battery.  It was kinda pricy.

If this is just to have available but you'll probably seldom use it, get something that takes two CR123 disposable batteries and don't worry about keeping it charged (just check it once a year whether it needs it or not.)  They have an extremely long shelf life; also it can probably use a 18650 rechargeable battery if you do find yourself actually using it.
"It's good, though..."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2021, 11:51:45 AM »
What about outfitting the flashlight with one of the 18650 batteries with a USB charging port? That way you keep the flashlight you like, but have a battery you can charge in-car if needed.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2021, 11:56:41 AM »
My experience with cheap, rechargeable things (flashlights especially) is that if you leave them plugged in , they will be charged, but the battery life will be killed inside of a year.  You'll have 4 min of light when you need it, and if you charge it and leave it unplugged, it'll drain and you'll need to charge it before use.

Expensive rechargeable with good "smart" charging seem to get around this, but are expensive.

With the advent of cheap lithium CR123A and similar batteries that don't swell and corrode, hold power for years, and work decent in temperature extremes, I don't think the cheap rechargeable actually fill a role anymore.  YMMV

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2021, 12:01:05 PM »
What about outfitting the flashlight with one of the 18650 batteries with a USB charging port? That way you keep the flashlight you like, but have a battery you can charge in-car if needed.

Brad

Now that's an interesting thought....

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2021, 12:02:13 PM »
"My experience with cheap, rechargeable things (flashlights especially) is that if you leave them plugged in , they will be charged, but the battery life will be killed inside of a year."

In my experience that happens if the charge is constantly on. The good thing about it being in the car is that it will only be on charge on when the ignition is on.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2021, 12:20:00 PM »
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08R75XN9W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1NGDEJV4B0QZ8&psc=1 is on sale. Normally these are $19

Amazon has a lot of cheap usb rechargable lights. I love my Fenix PD36R, but that is outside your budget goal.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2021, 12:29:41 PM »
I've not used any of the cheap USB rechargeables. I bought this Fenix last year based on an APS recommendation (Regolith?):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082DLF964/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use it for checking out bumps, taking the dog out for his before bed business, etc. It easily lights stuff up a couple hundred yards away on high and the charge holds a good long while. I also like the red and green low lumen option.

Otherwise I have a couple of Olight weapon lights with that magnetic USB charger. They seem to work well too.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2021, 12:32:25 PM »
I have a rechargeable Fenix headlamp I really like. Holds a charge for months of non use and when you push the button you get solid green for 75-100%, flashing green for 50-75, solid blue for 25-50, flashing blue for less than 25%.
I have a protac and my wife has a compact Olight that are usb rechargeable.
Honestly, in the vehicles I just keep a few CR123 batteries in an otter case to swap out the batts if I don’t have time to charge it. Constant charging just kills them faster.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2021, 01:12:33 PM »
I'm actually looking at one or two that are combination flashlight/worklights.

Primarily I want the flashlight, not a work light, but the dual purpose would potentially be useful.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2021, 02:26:16 PM »
I've been using a Stanley Bb24PS for several years in the truck. Its just the work light but they may make one with both.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2021, 03:42:20 PM »
These seem to be more or less what I'm looking for...

https://www.amazon.com/Hoxida-Rechargeable-Flashlight-Sidelight-Waterproof/dp/B07XJN27NZ/ref=sr_1_31?dchild=1&keywords=usb+rechargeable+flashlight+worklight&qid=1624036581&sr=8-31
I don't keep it in the car, but my brother gave me a pair for Christmas.  Not sure it is the same brand.  (I have a lot of flashlights.)  I don't have them in my truck, but they seem to be decent lights.  The magnetic base helps stick it somewhere so it will stay.  On is on my refrigerator. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

griz

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2021, 04:11:20 PM »
I've got a Walmart Ozark Trail rechargeable that's about the same size as an 18650 light and charges with a mini USB plug.  It's lasted almost three years with no problems at all.  Plenty bright and I believe less than 30 bucks.  The newer versions of it might have two modes, not sure.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2021, 09:04:41 PM »
I just rec'd this in the mail and I think it was a great deal for an inexpensive pair of quality lights  ...   :cool:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154441726712?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=454510172976&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Have a few of these and gave them away at Christmas ... it's a nice light ...   :cool:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183981375843?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2021, 09:41:33 PM »

With the advent of cheap lithium CR123A and similar batteries that don't swell and corrode, hold power for years, and work decent in temperature extremes, I don't think the cheap rechargeable actually fill a role anymore.  YMMV

This. 

I've carried various CR123A powered Streamlights for years, and recently acquired a rechargeable version.  No contest.  Battery powered is hands down better, and when they're dead, I'm only out the 10 seconds to replace them and have a bright light.

https://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/index/protac-2l-x

"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Andiron

• friend
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.