Author Topic: USB rechargeable flashlights  (Read 1608 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: USB rechargeable flashlights
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2021, 06:03:03 AM »
Streamlights are nice, but like the Olights, I'm not interested in paying that much money for one that's simply going to bash around in the car.

The one I have in the car right now was something like $12 from New Egg, I believe, and it's a pretty solid light.

The more I think about it the more I think I'm going to go with a USB rechargeable 18650 battery.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2021, 11:22:07 PM »
Since the early 80s, I have used rechargeables for my flash equipment that I used in photographing weddings.  I started off using the "nickel-cadmium (Ni-Cad) for about 15 years and, as those wore out and wouldn't hold a charge, switched to the "nickel-metal hydride" (Ni-MH) batteries.  I have yet to see any rechargeable "lithium-ion" (Li-on) batteries in the normal sizes (AA, C, & D).
While Li-on batteries have very little "memory problems" like the old NiCads did, ALL rechargeables only put out 1.2 volts.  Many electronics do not work well at less than 1.5 volts which is what you get in regular batteries.  Also, there is not a rechargeable battery made that can last as long primary single use batteries.  AND, while the primary batteries get weaker slowly, giving you time to find replacements, all rechargeables go dead as if they fell off a cliff.
Some have suggested using lights that can use either rechargeables OR a primary use batteries and this is an excellent question.  But how easy is it to find that battery used in so many lights these days, a CR123 (or whatever the number is) when you are out camping?  You're better off using the AAA - D types of batteries as those can be found virtually everywhere.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2021, 11:40:59 PM »
https://www.olightstore.com/i5t-eos-bk-1.html
How about a AA.  This is the smaller Olight that is in my truck.  Not rechargeable, but small and bright.  $30.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2021, 12:23:52 AM »
I've had a pair of Streamlight Protac 2L-X. Can't recommend them. First one had a bad connection internally, that was returned/replaced, and the replacement has developed the same occasional problem.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2021, 12:54:39 AM »
Since the early 80s, I have used rechargeables for my flash equipment that I used in photographing weddings.  I started off using the "nickel-cadmium (Ni-Cad) for about 15 years and, as those wore out and wouldn't hold a charge, switched to the "nickel-metal hydride" (Ni-MH) batteries.  I have yet to see any rechargeable "lithium-ion" (Li-on) batteries in the normal sizes (AA, C, & D).
While Li-on batteries have very little "memory problems" like the old NiCads did, ALL rechargeables only put out 1.2 volts.  Many electronics do not work well at less than 1.5 volts which is what you get in regular batteries.  Also, there is not a rechargeable battery made that can last as long primary single use batteries.  AND, while the primary batteries get weaker slowly, giving you time to find replacements, all rechargeables go dead as if they fell off a cliff.
Some have suggested using lights that can use either rechargeables OR a primary use batteries and this is an excellent question. But how easy is it to find that battery used in so many lights these days, a CR123 (or whatever the number is) when you are out camping?  You're better off using the AAA - D types of batteries as those can be found virtually everywhere.

They are easy to find because you packed enough for the trip. =) They are small and light and have a shelf life of about 10 years.
"It's good, though..."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2021, 03:08:02 AM »
They are easy to find because you packed enough for the trip. =) They are small and light and have a shelf life of about 10 years.
I buy them from battery junction dot com for about $1 each. That are slightly higher now. I have a few in my hunting backpack and some in each vehicle. I have never had one die without use. I have enough lights that use them or the recharg 18650 version that I still have a place for them.
In my Jeep I also have a $6 Black Friday special rayovac combo swivel work light/flashlight with magnetic base that uses AAs. Great light and handy but I don’t carry spare batts.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2021, 08:19:08 AM »
For anything that doesn't get used every day or thereabouts, if it's something I want to rely on, or it's expensive, I will not use alkaline batteries. I have a couple of things that I use Lithium AAs in, but otherwise it's NiMHs, Li-ion, or CR123s.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2021, 09:27:44 AM »
The more I think about it, the more I think that Stanley may be a winner.

Hum... after reading the negative comments, I think I'm back in the search. Way too many 1 star reviews for my comfort.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2021, 09:58:52 AM »
I didn’t pay much attention because I wasn’t interested but I think costco has/had a 4 pack of Duracell LED flashlights for less than $20. How important is rechargeable?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2021, 11:26:48 AM »
I've got a Walmart Ozark Trail rechargeable that's about the same size as an 18650 light and charges with a mini USB plug.  It's lasted almost three years with no problems at all.  Plenty bright and I believe less than 30 bucks.  The newer versions of it might have two modes, not sure.

Tangent pet peeve: When I go to WalMart, I usually go at 0630 on my way to work.  I have discovered that many of the sporting goods (knives, lights, ammunition, etc.) are now in locked cases to deter the tweaker shoplifters.  Good luck finding an employee at 0630 to unlock the case so I can look at or purchase the item.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2021, 07:48:56 AM »
I didn’t pay much attention because I wasn’t interested but I think costco has/had a 4 pack of Duracell LED flashlights for less than $20. How important is rechargeable?

Well I'm rethinking that, actually. I'm thinking now I'll just set a calendar reminder in my phone for every two months to swap the batter, or I'll get one of the USB rechargeable 18650s.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2021, 10:08:58 AM »
My truck light for years was an industrial explosion-proof plastic LED flashlight that took two D cells.  I think it was Rayovac brand and I paid about $20 for it.  I still have it somewhere.  This was before LEDs were cheap and common. Old fashioned carbon zinc D cells last a really long time when you don't use them much (a few years) and if a battery did swell up and leak they fit loosely enough it probably wouldn't ruin the flashlight because they fit kinda loosely and it's plastic (I never had to test that theory)
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2021, 10:44:23 AM »
I carried a 3 D cell Mag light in the car for years. Still have it, but as a house flashlight. It's just too damned big to carry in the car easily.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2021, 03:15:51 PM »
I recommend Panasonic Eneloops for AAA and AA rechargeables and whatever low discharge NiMH battery is on sale for C and D cells.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2021, 10:42:49 AM »
Just got this: https://www.amazon.com/BESTON-Battery-Charger-Compatible-Li-ion/dp/B07Z7CXS8C/ref=sr_1_24?crid=3S62UA00927F8&dchild=1&keywords=usb+rechargeable+18650+li-ion+battery&qid=1624372196&sprefix=usb+rechargeable+18650%2Caps%2C187&sr=8-24

I'll keep it in the car. That way I can recharge while driving...

I have an XTAR charger that looks a lot like that, single battery.  I keep it in my laptop bag with my spare cables and stuff.  Works well.
"It's good, though..."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2021, 07:19:32 AM »
Costco has 3 pack of Duracell LED flashlights for $14.99

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2021, 07:54:55 AM »
Not a Costco member.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2021, 11:46:46 PM »
I carried a 3 D cell Mag light in the car for years. Still have it, but as a house flashlight. It's just too damned big to carry in the car easily.

A friend gave me a 6 "D" cell Maglight years ago and, like you, it is a "house light".
Seeing the other comments made me think of that one and I checked it and, while it still works, the batteries are stamped "2005".  Its size and weight also make it a good club.
  >:D
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2021, 06:59:05 AM »
For standard C, D, AA, etc. batteries I just buy Amazon's house brand. I've never had a problem with any of them.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2021, 08:51:58 AM »
A friend gave me a 6 "D" cell Maglight years ago and, like you, it is a "house light".
Seeing the other comments made me think of that one and I checked it and, while it still works, the batteries are stamped "2005".  Its size and weight also make it a good club.
  >:D
I never cared for the 6 cell but the 3 cell is a good flashlight for house and yard use. Still big enough to wield as a metal club but much easier to use as a light, especially if you get one of Gary Malkoff’s led elements. Or even better, some of the old timer candle forum geeks used to build custom torches in them with battery carriers to replace the D cells and regulated LEDs with heat sinks. They used to post videos of 2 and 3 D size mag lights that would ignite crumpled paper a couple inches away from the lens.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2021, 09:10:17 AM »
I did put an LED bulb in the Maglight a couple of years ago after I dropped the darn thing and blew the incandescent bulb. It was, as is to be expected, quite a step up.

I keep it in my upstairs bathroom beside the vanity. That way I know exactly where it is if the power goes out and I'm upstairs.