Author Topic: Have you ever heard of letterlocking?  (Read 380 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Have you ever heard of letterlocking?
« on: June 18, 2021, 12:59:29 PM »
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Re: Have you ever heard of letterlocking?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 02:14:05 PM »
Makes me think of passing notes in grade school.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 09:34:05 PM »
The Townsends YouTube channel did a series about postage and letter writing in the 18th century a while a back, and IIRC they mentioned this in one of the episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4e4wpjna1vx0qFu8y_OiL3ZMya4XCYUw

I don't think the methods they mentioned were quite as sophisticated as those mentioned in the article, though.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 12:01:58 AM »
Back when I was in high school, there were several of us that used "dactylology" the hand alphabet that was the forerunner of American Sign Language (ASL).  The old dictionaries we had then had showed the chart for the different hand & finger positions.  It was slow and too much motion was noticeable but for some teachers who didn't pay attention to the students, it was a way to say things and not involve others in between.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”