Author Topic: NYC Drops Looting Charges  (Read 588 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
NYC Drops Looting Charges
« on: June 19, 2021, 11:40:21 AM »
NYC is dropping looting and rioting charges for hundreds of rioters. These people all "protested" and looted for "political justice". Shouldn't dropping charges then apply to 06JAN protestors as well?

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2021/06/19/what-could-go-wrong-nyc-dropping-charges-against-hundreds-of-people-arrested-for-looting-during-riots-last-year/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: NYC Drops Looting Charges
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 12:23:25 PM »
Why not just cave completely and nominate the rioters and looters for good citizenship awards??

[barf] :mad:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 12:39:44 PM »
NYC is dropping looting and rioting charges for hundreds of rioters. These people all "protested" and looted for "political justice". Shouldn't dropping charges then apply to 06JAN protestors as well?

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

griz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 07:06:29 PM »
The official line is that protests are good, insurrection bad.  Which is kind of funny since marching against an election seems to clearly fall in the protest category while looting does not.  But what do I know?  I'm not even good at reading thought crimes.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 08:10:40 PM »
How much area in the city were people actually protesting and looting?  I have heard it is a pretty small area in some cities.

In general I am thinking:

1.  Few will want to start a new business in NYC due to the risk of rioting destroying their business.  Maybe that depends on the business and location and the question above.
2.  What will happen to insurance rates in some areas?  Will they just stop covering riot damage?
3.  Will anyone choose to invest in new businesses in that city?  How many more people will move out?  IMO, the future of that city is dim if they don't clean things up.  I am afraid voters left will not choose to change things.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 12:07:40 AM »
How much area in the city were people actually protesting and looting?  I have heard it is a pretty small area in some cities.

In general I am thinking:

1.  Few will want to start a new business in NYC due to the risk of rioting destroying their business.  Maybe that depends on the business and location and the question above.
2.  What will happen to insurance rates in some areas?  Will they just stop covering riot damage?
3.  Will anyone choose to invest in new businesses in that city?  How many more people will move out?  IMO, the future of that city is dim if they don't clean things up.  I am afraid voters left will not choose to change things.

2A - rates will go up.
2B - very likely.
3A - No - NO - and HELL NO !!
3B - As many as can do so.
3C - The "powers that be won't spend the time and money to clean things up and the voters that remain will be so apathetic, they won't care.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”