Main Forums > The Roundtable

Portable stove question

(1/5) > >>

Hawkmoon:
Question for the hive mind:

In the basement, I have a [very] old 2-burner portable stove that my parents bought for use during the inevitable power outages that occurred with predictable regularity in this corner of the universe. In those days, we didn't have portable generators, so some sort of portable was the only recourse when the electricity was out, since we had (and I still have) an electric range.

This isn't a Coleman camp stove, or one of the knock-offs thereof. It doesn't take propane, it used proprietary butane canisters that haven't been available for several decades. I'd like to convert it to work with a standard propane canister like what the Colemans use, but I don't know if the jets that are sized for butane will work with propane.

The stove is a Prepo model 202. The only image I was able to find is of one in a box, so not very helpful:

Is a conversion possible?

Bogie:
The Gas One stoves, and many "portable restaurant burners" (like used in the omelet station on the patio for brunch) run on butane (some do propane). Maybe there is a conversion?

zxcvbob:
I'm not sure, but I think butane and propane take the same jets

I think my parents had a Coleman butane lantern that took the same fuel canisters; not proprietary but obsolete and no longer available (not that that's any better)

K Frame:
I'm pretty sure that the butane canisters were made by a number of manufacturers, including Coleman. Coleman still offers butane fuel cylinders. You may want to see if they fit.

OK, it looks like your stove may have used the old PowerMax style canister. I've heard that adapters are available that will allow you to use the new style fuel cylinders.

K Frame:

--- Quote from: zxcvbob on June 23, 2021, 01:19:49 AM ---I'm not sure, but I think butane and propane take the same jets

I think my parents had a Coleman butane lantern that took the same fuel canisters; not proprietary but obsolete and no longer available (not that that's any better)

--- End quote ---

Many of the "butane" cylinders were a butane/propane blend, some as high as 40% propane.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version